Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off Topic / Good morning Nov 11th
neb
# Posted: 11 Nov 2012 09:28 - Edited by: neb

9 degrees but feels like -12 with wind and cloudy in MT.

bugs
# Posted: 11 Nov 2012 11:13

Neb it is a brisk -16C with a biting wind. Just got in from shoveling more snow.

Not to hijack: It is Remembrance Day in Canada and elsewhere time to think of the sacrifice that our service men and women have made over the years.

In Flanders Fields

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved, and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.

- John McCrae

I remember every day of the year. I had a great uncle killed at Vimy Ridge in WWI and my late father served with RCAF 420 Squadron "The Snowy Owls" in England and North Africa. I have created a memorial and history of the 420 Squadron on my web site. (Google the squadron if anyone is interested.) It has enabled me to meet through the internet some of the surviving veterans of the squadron and relatives of the veterans. A very humbling and rewarding experience.

bugs

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 11 Nov 2012 11:21

Bugs, its veterans day here. Most will get tomorrow off from work (usually govt entities, rest, go to work)

Thanks to all that served or are still serving. We appreciate your service to our country.

And to Canada for always being a good strong ally too.

neb
# Posted: 11 Nov 2012 11:40

Yes a day to remember for both Country's!!!!!!!!!!!!

bugs
# Posted: 11 Nov 2012 13:42 - Edited by: bugs

I would be remiss not to include a pic with my post.....as most of you know I do like images.

This is a group of air men from 420 Squadron in front of a Wellington bomber in North Africa. My dad is the bared chested one with the cap.

They all look sooooo young.

bugs
Wellington Bomber
Wellington Bomber

hattie
# Posted: 12 Nov 2012 00:47

Hubby's uncle was killed in WW2 over France on a low level fighter bomber mission in a hawker typhoon.
Hubby's dad served in the RCNVR and was a chief petty officer (engineering officer on fairmile subchaser).
Hubby's brother was a career officer with the RCAF and retired as a colonel.
Hubby's son served in Afghanistan in the Canadian Army (6 month tour).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQ7z_eANAP4&feature=related (this is a beautiful video)
Remember.jpg
Remember.jpg
poppy_300.jpg
poppy_300.jpg

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.