Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off Topic / wishing
cabingal3
# Posted: 15 Nov 2012 12:18

i wish there was a laptop that u could put in the sunshine for a bit and it would crank up and u could be online.
i wish there was a generator that had a drill bit at the end of a long pole.u stick the generator where u want your well and down goes the long rotating pole that draws the water up thru a hose that leads to your house.u keep the generator there to crank on when u need water in your cabin.a one in all kind of thing.
i wish there was a tv.u would put it outside in the sunshine for about an hour and it would run all day...not connected to anything else.
all cheap.cheap cheap cheap.
lets see.while i am wishing...
a mixer and blender also.u put it out in the sun a bit and it just mixes an mixes up dough and batters and all i need to do.
maybe by the time we move out to our woods-some of this wil be out there.

cabingal3
# Posted: 15 Nov 2012 14:34

i wish there was a cheap magic powder u sprinkled on poo and it would turn it to a rich dust with no germs in it and u could sprinkle the after product on your veggie garden.

cabingal3
# Posted: 15 Nov 2012 17:25

i wish there was 4x8 roofing panels where the tar paper and shingles were already on with small holes drilled where they need to be drilled so u could just hoist them up and pop them on yur roof.

cabingal3
# Posted: 15 Nov 2012 17:45

that u could build your place as big as u wished and do what ever u wanted be it a composting toilet or what have u...with no rules.only thing.u have to have the land paid off to be able to build whatever u wish and whatever size and-the only reason u get to do this is to promise to keep the land and the place in the family passed down for generations.

jrbarnard
# Posted: 16 Nov 2012 14:38

I just wish I could figure out how to drill my own water well.. I know .. I know.. rainwater collection.. but while we are wishing.. I still want a well and not pay 20k for it :P

R

cabingal3
# Posted: 16 Nov 2012 14:57

yes...i know.i wish our well was over closer to our cabin.maybe we should build our bigger house by the well
i wish we could move out to our woods really soon and while i am wishing...i wish for a solar tv just like the radios...leave it in the sunshine a bit n bam...tv.
we dont get that much rain but we get alot of snow.
Quoting: jrbarnard
I just wish I could figure out how to drill my own water well

well good luck on wishing for a well thats not costly.do u have a high water table??

jrbarnard
# Posted: 16 Nov 2012 15:02

We have to drill 550-ish feet through MoH 3 limestone.

If it was 300 ft, I would buy a $5000 rig and drill a few extra wells.. lol (we have a few acres).

R

cabingal3
# Posted: 16 Nov 2012 15:18

We have to drill 550-ish feet through MoH 3 limestone.

whoa.thats pretty deep.good luck R.
we have close to three acres and we bought the adjoining property and we did not even know there was a well there.we discovered it by accident one day and also tossed on the ground was the well digger equiptment...at the time we discovered this all.it was not our land yet.now to get it going good.we may have to dig another.high water table though.under the ground is a lake.sort of weird.
it will take a while to get things tweeked to make it perfect.how long have u had your property??

jrbarnard
# Posted: 16 Nov 2012 15:31

We bought it in April of 2011. We were looking and my wife's uncle found out we were buying land (he lives in Arkansas).. and ended up closing on HIS land before ours.. he bought the adjoining 254 acres. He does not go out there because his idea of roughing it is if the Hilton does not have a suite.. heh.. but he lets us use and manage it.

If I had the ability or tools to dig it myself.. I do not care if it took a year, I'd dig like 4 wells across the 331 acres and use the others to feed the animals.

Right now I am focused on finishing the cabin.. but once that is done.. I WILL figure out how to dig my own wells.. I mean, people did it 200 years ago.. right?

R

cabingal3
# Posted: 16 Nov 2012 16:09

R-so really u have alot of land.wow.i can not imagen all that land.we can barely tend our land.its gonna take a life time of work to just get the garbage off of our land.your situation sounds very wonderful.
I WILL figure out how to dig my own wells.. I mean, people did it 200 years ago.. right?

did u ever see or read laura ingals and pa and mr edwards digging down in the ground with a shovel and a pick ax-down in the well?they were like almost passing out from gases in the ground.
i would sure hate to dig a big hole like that .at least now days we can use some pretty good tools.its always a problem to over come.with us..one piece of property.no water or like 500 ft down.then the other land we almost had to get on mt.climbing spikes on our shoes and ropes to get up to the property.it was something else to haul plywood up there manually.now the land we have now is flat.we are so glad.and water table is high..but there its really really cold in the winter.but its the most perfect bit of land.
i wish u good luck on digging wells.and on your cabin.lots of roaming around land for u to find a good well.

TheWildMan
# Posted: 17 Nov 2012 09:44

there is a solar powered laptop, its not very powerful, only basic internet, word proccessing etc. it was developed to help improve education and living standards in 3rd world countries with populations far from electric access. same reason solar ovens werte developed

jrbarnard: digging a well is not that hard, look up how deep the water table is, dig a hole to reach below it. you now have a dug well. use metal corigated pipe or masonry to support the walls as you go.

i was lucky the water table was only just below the surface, a 6' hole and a couple barrels with the ends cut off made a good well, tossed gravel in the bottom as a filter. lot of old farms around here have wells just as shallow.

cabingal3
# Posted: 18 Nov 2012 07:38

i wish there was a canned spray u could put on u n when u sat by the camp fire u could get up from that and not smell like campfire in your hair and clothes.altough i do love the smell of campfires.

cabingal3
# Posted: 18 Nov 2012 07:41

jrbarnard -with all your acreage...u wil be able to find spots where its not so deep i am sure.
Quoting: TheWildMan
jrbarnard: digging a well is not that hard, look up how deep the water table is, dig a hole to reach below it. you now have a dug well. use metal corigated pipe or masonry to support the walls as you go.

in the old days its wht u did.now they make everything sound so impossible cause they dont want us to do alot for ourselfs but stay home and watch tv.
Quoting: TheWildMan
there is a solar powered laptop, its not very powerful, only basic internet, word proccessing etc. it was developed to help improve education and living standards in 3rd world countries with populations far from electric access. same reason solar ovens werte developed

thank u TheWildMan.do u have the name of this laptop??i heard of this but did not actually realize u only truly just needed solar.
thank u.

jrbarnard
# Posted: 18 Nov 2012 07:59

I picked up some mortar yesterday.. I think the kids and I will build us a small rock.. no... BIG rock fire pit this weekend ;)

It won't be perfect.. but I bet they have fun doing it ;)

R

Anonymous
# Posted: 18 Nov 2012 09:26

i wish....

-that solar was more efficient
-that wind was more reliable
-that water could easily be heated on demand from your wood stove
-that there were factory made generators that ran on ethanol.
-that tidal power could come in micro and easy to instal
-that there was a relatively cheap, SIMPLE, way to deal with human waste that doesn't involve handling it.
-that bears didnt come to eat my apples, blueberries, rasberries etcetcetc
-that there was an easy water filtration system for river/rain water as well as gray water generated.
-that trips to the store weren't a major undertaking most of the year and impossible come winter

TomChum
# Posted: 18 Nov 2012 11:05

Hey Anon, Most of your wishes are already attainable. Easier in wastelands, more difficult in paradise.

countryred
# Posted: 18 Nov 2012 15:07

well, if we are wishing..............

20 acres in the Ozarks
32 x 12 cabin
big garden and orchard
a few chickens and 3 pigs
deep freeze full of deer, turkey and fish.
enough solar panels to run it all

good interest rates on savings
great health

get it all done before we get too old.......

cabingal3
# Posted: 18 Nov 2012 22:21

I picked up some mortar yesterday

this is grand...it will be fun and interesting.good for u.R
i wish we could use urine as gasoline in our cars.and did not have to pay for gas.

hattie
# Posted: 18 Nov 2012 23:28

Quoting: cabingal3
i wish there was a canned spray u could put on u n when u sat by the camp fire u could get up from that and not smell like campfire in your hair and clothes.altough i do love the smell

I'll second that wish.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.