Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off Topic / Christmas Is Coming...
hattie
# Posted: 16 Nov 2012 01:04

So I will admit that when it comes to Christmas, I just never grew up. It's not too far away, and daughter has me addicted to Pinterest where I've found some amazing Christmas sites for kids (or the young at heart).

This link will give you a live reindeer cam where you can watch Santa feed the reindeer at certain times of the day: http://reindeercam.com/

This link will let you upload a photo of your livingroom (or any room in your house) and then put Santa in it.

This link has a very touching letter to your child to explain who Santa is: http://www.cozi.com/live-simply/truth-about-santa

Does anyone else have any good Christmas links or ideas?

neb
# Posted: 16 Nov 2012 08:13

Thanks for sharing that Hattie

trollbridge
# Posted: 16 Nov 2012 10:06

Cool Hattie...I've heard all sorts of things about Pinterest. I will have to check it out!

I need ideas or thoughts on how or when to make the transition between what to do with adult children and how to scale back on the gifts they are use to receiving. It's not that I want to be a Grinch, but to me Christmas gifts should center around the children and at some point as the family grows with spouses and grandchildren something has to give. How and when did you go about the transition? Any advice will be greatly appreciated-we have struggled with what to do for too many years now. Thank you!

TheCabinCalls
# Posted: 16 Nov 2012 10:27

As soon as our sibblings started having kids we said how about we just buy for the kids. Half were bummed, but after the first year people realized it was for the better.

Actually in the transition year we bought for the kids, but we drew names for the adults/adult-kids. Then we just went to kids only as their numbers grew.

Montanan
# Posted: 16 Nov 2012 12:07

Love those links! Thank you! I am a total sucker for Christmas. My nickname is "Captain Christmas" around here.

trollbridge~ I think drawing names is a nice way to "ease into" a new method. Perhaps then you can gradually move into just giving to the children.

Montanan
# Posted: 16 Nov 2012 12:12

P.S. That letter about Santa brought tears to my eyes. As my children are getting to this stage, it is really helpful to have that template. Thank you.

hattie
# Posted: 16 Nov 2012 12:36 - Edited by: hattie

When I used to work in an office, at Christmas party time we always played a really neat gift game. Everyone was told to buy ONE gift with the value no higher than $20.

On the party day, we all sat around the room and everyone pulled a number out of a hat. Number 1 went first. Number one would take a gift from the table of gifts and open it in front of everyone. Number 2 would choose a gift from the table and open it. They would now have an choice - they could either keep their gift or steal Number 1's gift and give Number 1 the gift Number 2 didn't want. And so it would continue with people stealing other people's gifts or keeping ones they really wanted (hoping no one stole it from them). At your turn, you would open a gift and then you could steal anyone's gift if you didn't like the one you opened, but you couldn't steal back from the person who just stole your gift. The game ends when the last person takes the last wrapped gift from the table and either keeps it or swaps it for another one. No more gifts can be swapped after that turn.

This was a great ice breaker when people didn't really know other people and it was just really fun. It takes quite a long time (depending on how many people are at the party) and couples would try to make strategies to steal certain gifts when their turn came up.

cabingal3
# Posted: 16 Nov 2012 14:07

hattie.i love pinterest.its eye candy for the soul.i love seeing all the very beautiful things they have on there.recently i saw a pair of mittens.owl ones.i had garyo copy the photo of the mittens and i copied the photo cause the pattern cost 25$.made the cutest mittens.there is so much wonderful on pinterest.
me and gar have decided to get something we both would like for our cabin.this is for anniversarys and birthday and xmas.
i am a kiddult.a grown up who does not want to grow up.kid story books i am game to read.i love them and any dolls.any doll houses and fun things.
thats my tip.fun things for the cabin is what we shall do.and i have been crocheting and knitting fun things for all the grandkids.

trollbridge
# Posted: 25 Nov 2012 13:38

Wow Hattie...spent some time on Pinterest-amazing! I will have to set up an account. There are so many cool items and I love how well organized it is. Finally I will have a place for everything I want to save. Thank you!

trollbridge
# Posted: 29 Nov 2012 10:25

Thanks Dave! I was playing around to figure it all out and repinned a pic of an old farm house you had....and I'll have to do more cause old farm houses always capture my attention. I'llalso be your newest follower. Thanks for the invite!

cabingal3
# Posted: 19 Dec 2012 15:12

cookies are baking.we were going to the cabin but oh my.the hiways are so frozen over.gonna wait a bit till the new winter storms settle down.plenty scary out there.
so i have settled into home.cookies are baking in the oven.cranberry/chocolate covered raisin cookies.and got gars xmas sweater knitted.he is modeling it for me.
now just sitting dreaming of the cabin and getting out there.sure seems a long time since we were out there.
the mister and the xmas sweater.
the mister and the xmas sweater.

cabingal3
# Posted: 21 Dec 2012 15:00 - Edited by: cabingal3

well xmas is here in town for sure ...
here is a message from our woods neighbor...we could not get to our cabin if we wanted to.so we will just wait till the new year to see if we can get there.
"3-4 ft new snow..........97 might as well be closed..........no traffic...........wife still with daughter told to stay there for xmas...............all the passes are in bad shape"your friend Mel

Montanan
# Posted: 21 Dec 2012 15:30

Wow cabingal- that's a real white Christmas!! Hope you can get up there for the new year.

For you fellow Christmas fanatics, here is something I made for the kids (got the idea from a website.) They will get these packages of "reindeer food" as their Advent gift on the 23rd (they always get holiday pajamas on the 24th.) My 8 year old has been worried that Santa won't be able to find us at the cabin, so this should help.
Reindeer food
Reindeer food

olfool
# Posted: 21 Dec 2012 15:33

Look at the bright side, the wife is safe, and that sweater is so you! It even matches your beard!!:

trollbridge
# Posted: 21 Dec 2012 15:56

Montanan...those are so festive looking! Love the tradition of Christmas jammies on the 24th.

cabingal3
# Posted: 21 Dec 2012 17:24

thanks Montanan-we are going one way or another and soon i hope.
its been since august. i am drying to get out there to our cabin.i bet its so pretty.
the reindeer food is so so pretty and wonderful.i love anyting magical like this.thats so cute.little children are so fun.
olfool.thanks.
and trollbridge...u and your family have a wonderful christmas...
happy holidays to everyone.hugs cabi

trollbridge
# Posted: 21 Dec 2012 18:37 - Edited by: trollbridge

Cabi,
Sorry to read that you can't get to your cabin for Christmas...I know how extremely disappointed you must feel...hard to be too upset when it is a snowstorm that stops you though...at least it will be beautiful when you do get there for the new year

hattie
# Posted: 21 Dec 2012 22:36

That is a beautiful sweater cabingal3. You are so talented. I hope you are able to get to your cabin in the new year!!!

Love the reindeer food trollbridge. I saw that on Pinterest and thought it looked adorable. I love magical ideas. It keeps the kids' imagination working!!

cabingal3
# Posted: 22 Dec 2012 11:06

thank u dearest hattie.i wish u a wonderful xmas and a better new year.i love pinterest.i am on there as denise odaniels.i love magical too.hugs cabi.

cabingal3
# Posted: 22 Dec 2012 11:08

Quoting: Anonymous
Cabi,Sorry to read that you can't get to your cabin for Christmas

thank u Anonymous.when there is sour lemons make lemonade.we are snuggled in.the mister is off for a couple of weeks.so we are close and happy and the grandsons are coming here to be with us.we are happy.
happy xmas to all.hugs cabi.

trollbridge
# Posted: 22 Dec 2012 11:32

The reindeer food was Montanans beautiful work...but I should make some...so festive.

Still love that Pinterest... but boy, time flys by when l'm there!!!

cabi...anonymous was me...didn't realize I wasn't signed in.

Merry Christmas everyone!!

cabingal3
# Posted: 22 Dec 2012 16:27

time does fly there.eye candy for the soul.merry xmas to all.

natureover66
# Posted: 22 Dec 2012 16:39

NICE sweater Cabi !!! Looks very warm !!! Garys a lucky guy !!
Merry Merry Merry !!!! XO

naturelover66
# Posted: 22 Dec 2012 16:41

weird....... no L in my name up there !!

cabingal3
# Posted: 23 Dec 2012 06:25

merry merry xmas to u to dear naturelover.
i wish u a happy new year.the best ever.
and it is odd no l in your name above.whats up with that?
have a good xmas.

rayyy
# Posted: 23 Dec 2012 07:33

Seeing my kid's and grandkid's.Opening up my preasent's.Watching them open up their's.Michelle's batch of increadible,delischous,mouth watering Christmas cookies.Watching my horses running and frolicing in the snow.Seeing all the happy bird's at the feeder.Hearing the wind blowing through the pine tree's.The smell of apple wood smoke from the wood stove.I could go on and on!lol.
MERRY CHRISTMAS to all my friend's here at Small Cabin

trollbridge
# Posted: 23 Dec 2012 10:11 - Edited by: trollbridge

Happy birthday rayyy!!!

Nice picture you painted above in my head! Enjoy
Merry Christmas!

rayyy
# Posted: 24 Dec 2012 12:08

Dear Santa,Ive been a good boy this,,,,well a pretty good boy this past year.Just a few changes.Santa,you can't land on my rooftop,your runners will scratch up my new tin roof.you can land her in the driveway,though.Hope them reindeer don't scare my horses to bad.A couple of apples or carrot's will help the situation there.And,,,oh yes,chimmney is in use.Way to small anyway's.You'll just have to use the front door.P.S.if your boot's are muddy or snowy,take them off on the porch,please and yes,the cookies are fresh.Milk's in the frig too,help your self. MERRY CHRISTMAS! Ray

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.