Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off Topic / black friday
cabingal3
# Posted: 19 Nov 2012 10:00

anyone heading out there for the black friday sales?i dont know if anything is worth this one.
well i see where some people are camping out in tents with all the comforts of home right now as we speak and...their family is gonna bring them a turkey day dinner.oh no!

trollbridge
# Posted: 19 Nov 2012 11:59 - Edited by: trollbridge

Ridiculous to me! Who needs that kind of stress and craziness...such a turn off to see people pushing and shoving others just to get a bargain!!! Just not for me...and I like saving $$... just not that much

Montanan
# Posted: 19 Nov 2012 12:07

Nope. I never shop on Black Friday. There's nothing appealing about it to me. I'd much rather spend quality time with my family.

countryred
# Posted: 20 Nov 2012 16:48

No shopping for me. Working that day. My wife used to work at Wallys and she wants nothing to do with That day.

KSalzwedel
# Posted: 21 Nov 2012 13:57

Black Friday is aptly named. It is a hustle for sure, meant to get you to spend more money than you have to use.

I shop from September until November, wrap packages before Thanksgiving, and call it good.

Then I enjoy my family, as Montanan said. Christmas is celebrated then as Jesus birth and not some rat race.

Sorry, this one burns my biscuits!

PA_Bound
# Posted: 21 Nov 2012 16:55 - Edited by: PA_Bound

I avoid Black Friday like the plague it is. But, to each his own. If you want to go deal with all the hassles of Black Friday then have at it- that's your personal choice.

But beginning Black Friday sales as early as 8:00 on Thanksgiving evening, like is being widely advertised now, simply pisses me off. There is a reason it's being referred to as "Greed Thursday"- because that's all it is. Can't we survive one day, especilly Thanksgiving, without tainting it with a combat shopping spree?

Sorry for the rant... but this is one "get's my goat".

cabingal3
# Posted: 21 Nov 2012 16:58

ha ha...i think its crazy too.
me and gary o and the grandsons use to go to get free donuts and coffee and also we would go to j.c. pennys every year cause me and the grandsons had a snow globe collection .we would get the free cute snow globes every year.i still have mine.they were little and broke theres.
nothing could get me out there anymore.i saw a laptop for 145$ somewhere. i need one too but i just dont have the care about it all.
and i would never ever go on thanksgiving day...ever!

Martian
# Posted: 21 Nov 2012 17:58

If we all skip Black Friday, just think of how deep the discounts would be come the next Friday!

Personally, I don't buy gifts at Christmas. Nor do I wish to receive gifts at Christmas. Gifts given at times they are not expected have much more meaning to both the giver and the recipient.

Tom

naturelover66
# Posted: 21 Nov 2012 18:12

I have never and would never participate in Black Friday....... I think those people are crazy.....

Gary O
# Posted: 2 Dec 2012 08:34

Something I wrote a year or so ago;

Shopping, 'tis the Season

The wife, in yule mode, cranks out knitted and crocheted slippers for everyone on the same limb of the family tree. Sometimes a full blown afghan or two come to being.
They've been great, money saving gifts.
I, for the most part, every year, swear off buying anybody anything...it's a humbug....then, some invisible 'Christmas Present' angel from hades baps me on the head around 7:30 pm, Christmas eve, and I grab a bat and my ol' football helmet and venture thru the malls.

There have been times that I've had an epiphany and made the grandkids things, things of wood, forts, chests, 'things they'll treasure' (I think in my elfin mind). So, for 2-3 weeks before that blessed day, every evening after work, I'd be seen in my shop, sawing, joining, planing, staining, finishing, smashing my elfin thumbs, cursing, swearing, waving my elfin arms......yeah, epiphanies....everybody should have one a them %@#&*$ epiphanies

Other times, years ago, my bride and I have found ourselves waiting for stores to open at 4 am.
It couldn't be helped.
The glisten in her eyes from anticipation of early morning adventures swayed me to wake in the dead of night on black Friday eve, tiptoe past slumbering chickens, and sit in the mall parking lot, staring at the line of crazed humanity already encircling the electronics store like it was Jericho.
One time she joined the horde, unsuccessfully coaxing me to follow.
There I sat, flashlight and crossword in hand, hair askew, bedbeard looking like I was in a crosswind.....stomach chatting with me.
Two minutes to 4, I rubbed the fog off the side window.
The crazies were jostling for position.
I lost sight of the wife somewhere around the corner of the building.
I slap on my fishing cap and begrudgingly leave the refuge of the Buick.
The doors open.
The guy with the keys gets carried away with the mob. Only thing you can see of him is his flailing arms.
I stroll in with the first 50 shoppers that will get the TV special, getting a glimpse of the wife swimming past, heading to the TV dept....only the specials were all up front. The guy with the keys and foot prints on his shirt, points me the way.
Half hour later, here she comes, TV in cart.
I, TV in trunk, am on the 2nd crossword.
We're not done...there's a mere 27 other stores that have free snow globes, free coffee, and free donuts.......the frenzy has only begun.
So we secure the TVs in the trunk, and make our way upstream, pointing to the trunk as we stroll back inside, making sure the parking lot thieves can know where at least two of the 50 TVs can still be had.
Two hours later, with globes clutched by jittering caffeine induced hands, the furrowed brows on my powdered sugared countenance lets the wife know I'm a couple clicks past jolly...and we go home....blessed home.....

Now, shopping for people at the mall has been great entertainment for the wife and I.
We just sit on a bench, munching on popcorn, and watch mothers drag their screaming little darlings along.....and their husbands (but less screaming...most times).
We once set by one of those quarter horses (put a quarter in the slot), and noted the parent's varied techniques in skirting quarter out put;

1st dad: DON'T TOUCH IT!!!

2nd dad: sets his kid on and fakes putting a coin in, then shakes the crap out of the machine, making periodic wheenying noises.....

3rd dad: points the opposite direction, noting wonderful toy stores around the corner, while briskly whisking his kid by the horsey.

Its great fun.
...and we can afford it.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.