Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off Topic / nuts!
cabingal3
# Posted: 19 Nov 2012 15:37

well i saw an ad on craigs list for free black walnuts.we went and picked up two five gallon buckets of the little boogers.well,got the husks off.i soaked them in water.there is a sort of black sludge under the husks.soo for hours now i have been scrubbing each black walnut off with a hard metal bristle brush.i had not gloves.so now i have a dark colored hand.toward the end of the first bucket...i was not scrubbing them so so clean as i did the first half of the bucket of nuts.its not like i am gonna give them away for xmas.i am only going to dry them and crack the shells and use for baking.will i kill us if i leave some of the sludge stuff on to dry and then crack the nut and use the meat?
tomorrow 5 gall.bucket two

Just
# Posted: 19 Nov 2012 20:51

place the unhusked nuts in the driveway and run over them a few times ,let them dry in the sun for a few days ,after drying the stain will no longer get on your hands , no washing needed,, they have a excelant flavor but do not yield much from each nut .. very hard to crack ,good luck

cabingal3
# Posted: 20 Nov 2012 02:28

Quoting: Just
let them dry in the sun for a few days ,

hi Just.there is only massive rains right now.so much so our drive is water logged.i got the husks off but there is some slimey residue.i was scrubbing each and every nut on the outside .really cleaning them off in all the cracks.only it took soooo long.when we got the nuts.the husks were soggy mushy and black from being in the rain.
too late on the stains.

KSalzwedel
# Posted: 21 Nov 2012 13:54

residue will dry. You have to dry them before using anyway. Residue won't hurt you. I dehusked many in my day, and never was hurt by the black residue. Just dry them well, crack, pick, and use.

cabingal3
# Posted: 21 Nov 2012 16:53

Quoting: KSalzwedel
Residue won't hurt you.

thank u so much KSalzwedel.thanks for this info.i got one 5 gallon bucket done.after turkey day i shall continue on...

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.