Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off Topic / doomsday-ish?? not sure where to put this opinion thread
Anonymous
# Posted: 3 Dec 2012 07:33

First off let me say that I've forgotten my username and password. This is actually my 4 or 5 post under "anon" and about my 7th post over all. All of my posts have been questions and thankyous to the help this community has given me in my curiousity and ignorance to how certain things work. Most of these posts are geared towards power questions, gearing up hydro, solar, out houses/composting toilets etcetcetc.

I finally wanted to offer an opinion/thought type post.
I hope not to offend anyone as thats not my intent. This is merely my opinion based on what I see around me where I live and is only my limited view of events and attitudes.

So I live in a fairly large city. About 2 million people in the immediate area. I did grow up in a small town of about 9000 and spent the first 20 years of my life there before making the trek to a secondary education and further employment. Its been 10 years. I've enjoyed my university experience though I don't feel that its as much of an education as jumping through hoops.
While attending school, and even after to supplement my income I worked as a security person at a nightclub.

I don't know if the world will one day collapse to economic downturn, terrorism, war, a global virus, or some massive natural disaster. I feel that all of these are possible and connected in some way to one another.
However I'm not afraid that tmw zombies will walk the streets, the economy will be crushed, roving bands of bikers will be killing for gas, and that the world will be half frozen.

I do see a shift in people though. I see a generation that doesn't know how to work hard, or what manners are, or the word respect, dignity, decency and the like. I see people who don't understand consequence. I see a generation that I refer to as the "me" generation. In that it's all about me and only me. My rights are paramount and no one else has rights. That I can do no real wrong and if I am doing wrong there is a justifiable reason that should be accepted. I see uncaring selfishness on a larger scale than it was and that grows every day.

It disgusts me. I think back to when kids respected there teachers and parents and the mail man. Now people spit on police officers and swear at them. I remember when respect wasn't a word that people that was being infringed upon when they were told politely that they could not be accomidated. I have no problem with being rich, rich beyond anything you could ever spend but why not give back? why not fund childrens hospitals, cancer research, or any of the other worthy causes. Why is greed encouraged and rewarded? I'm not saying you can't have five cars, I'm saying work hard, honest, good work for your five cars and while you're at it, maybe think about giving something to someone that also wants the chance to work hard and earn there own 5 cars. I'm by no means advocating a hand out to some meth smoking welfare case. I have little to no sympathy for those that choose to knowingly poison themselves and then want society to bail them out of their hardships.

Back to the point... I see society breaking down around me and though I think one day it'll all come crashing down I'm doubting I'll be around to see it. But in a society that seems to be losing its ethics, community, and a growing list a mile long of other wonderful attributes we once had, I want to get away.

I want to watch my tv, play video games with my kids, have lights and a flushing toilet. I simply want these things in an area that can only be reached by boat, helicopter or 300 mile hike over mountains and through woods. I've recently rewatched alone in the wilderness (reminded of it by a poster on here actually) and I thought to myself, "he doesn't have all the comforts I want for me and my family but he built that cabin alone, by hand, 40 years ago, when he was 15 years older than me. It must be possible and as I understand it he was on his own, only accesible by float plane visited by a few friends but out of reach of the masses."

I work these extra nights dealing with the drunk, high masses so that my dream can be realized sooner than it would if I just worked my 9-5. But at the same time its the extra nights of work that feed my desire to get away from all the horrible things I see.

and that is my ranty "i want to get away"

TheCabinCalls
# Posted: 3 Dec 2012 08:53

Your job exposes you to the worst of the worst I am sure. But some say it is not he "ME" you should worry about it is the transition from "ME" to "WE" that is taking place and will one day be taken too far. There is a book PENDULUM...it is a marketing book, but talks about society and how in the past uprisings came from a band of "WE" that started with a rather innocence purpose.

Now that college days are over and I am pretty far removed from the things you see I don't have the same burden. Mine is one of other matters, but it is true that this restlessness will come upon us. Life, meaning, connectedness all seem more real and almost tangible at the cabin.

Good luck saving. Keep your head up. We can only do we can do...so make a difference when and where you can!

Anonymous
# Posted: 3 Dec 2012 09:23

The job you have at night is toxic to your way of thinking. Maybe you should find a better way to make some extra money.

Malamute
# Posted: 3 Dec 2012 12:26 - Edited by: Malamute

It doesnt take being hundreds of miles from a road to find peace. I live in a very sparsely populated state in the Rockies, and many of the things people talk about as "normal" and "todays world" seem like light years away from how things are here. It's not totaly isolated, but seems years behind the trends. Part is cultural, part is simply the lesser stress and pressure of so few people being packed in a small area. Most people here are pretty decent, helpful to neighbors and strangers, and there's very little crime. One of the down sides is work is harder to get, and often doesn't pay as much. The quality of life seems worth that trade off for many. The cost of living is a bit lower in some regards also.

If something big and bad happened in the world, I can't think of anywhere else I'd rather be than here.

trollbridge
# Posted: 3 Dec 2012 16:33

Interesting thoughts...I agree your job and location probably do expose you to the worse of it. I also agree there is a clear decline in respect in general...and now another generation picking up the same tendencies ----BUT thankfully it by no means includes ALL younger people and it is a bummer to be labeled this generation or that.
In part I feel we have to look at society as we generally live now. Many children are born to single mothers or married couples who end up unfortunately divorcing. If they can manage to stick together chances are they both need to be working out of the home-especially if they live in a larger city. Even if one income is enough, there is either the need to "keep up with the Jones" or a feeling of less self worth because you are just at home with the kids...somehow deemed to be lame these days by many people.
We've got latchkey children, overpopulated schools, children that need to "feel" good and parents that need to feel less "guilt". It seems there is no clear direction to take and no longer much of a support system for parents. I believe there will continue to be an overall decline in our societal respect for each other until there are some changes that return us to some of our "old fashioned" tried and true roots.

This btw is just my opinion...generalizations I'm making...just wish life hadn't become such a rat race!

rayyy
# Posted: 3 Dec 2012 16:36

Not all is lost,anon.My kid's are very respectfull of others.Raising their kid's that way too.Life is what you make it.Our number one goal is to be happy in life and Iv'e instilled that in my kid's.Responsible,respectfull,productive and happy.That's all you need.My little cabin is 3 miles out of town.I drive to to work every day to make the money it takes to maintain my little piece of heaven out hear.Goodness in man kind is still there.We encourage you to stay positive,anon.Life is what you make it.

trollbridge
# Posted: 3 Dec 2012 16:40

Well said rayyy!!!

Anonymous
# Posted: 3 Dec 2012 17:06

I (the OP) am curious about this book pendulum. I think I'll take a look for it.

And you are all right that my second job does show me the worst in people but I assure you my experience is not limited to the night time crowd. My wife works for the city. She deals with customer complaints for parking fines. Needless to say her job is a fairly negative one as well. However in the last year 3 stories have come surfaced.
1) While ticketing a 36 yr old city employee was attacked by a homeless man and stabbed repeatedly in the leg with a needle.
2) While on coffee break at a starbucks a new employee was harassed and then attacked by 3 men for a ticket that he didn't even write. The whole incident was recorded on cameras in starbucks and witnessed by other people in the store as well as employees. No one would give a statement to the police.
3) (this one is the most distressing to me) In the middle of the day at roughly 2pm in the posh end of town. A 58 yr FEMALE employee served a ticket to a 23yr old man in a truck. she returned to her city car (a smart car). The young man approached her with ticket in hand and she rolled down her window. He started punching her in the face. This was witnessed by a young woman across the street who (stupidly on her part) told the parking employee that she was going to tell the police that she (meaning the parking employee) had assaulted the young man first. The police arrived and because of the conflicting witness stories could do nothing as it turned into a he said she said.

At anyrate, my only point is that even though I recognize and agree with all the posters that my job does she me the worst in most cases, its far from limited to night time, alcohol induced stupidity.

I agree with you malamute, my home town sounds very similar to yours. years behind and a smaller tight knit community.

Maybe I'm just not meant for this city life with all this anger and selfishness around me. Not to say that I myself am not selfish to a degree. I think we all are to some extent. But I don't get mad when I get a ticket for speeding, or being late to my meter. I don't get violent and abusive when I can't get into a movie because its sold out. I don't feel the need to endanger my life or other peoples lives on the road when someone makes a stupid lane change. I hear stories of our medical system starting to burst at the seams, education becoming worse and worse, and a lack of humanity I don't see much point in wanting to be here to deal with these people as they turn on each other. As I said I don't see a road warrior world around the corner but that doesn't mean that it can't continue to degenerate into something I don't want for myself or my family.

hattie
# Posted: 3 Dec 2012 21:54

I worry what the world will be like when my grandchildren are grown up. Many people today feel they are "entitled" to the things they want. We left the mainstream to move here in 2007 because I couldn't stand what I was seeing all around me. We like living in a small backwards town that doesn't even have cell service. Not too many fancy gizmos here.

I have tried to raise my children to be honest, hard working adults who give back to their community. I am proud of the adults they have become and hope they raise their children with the same work/living ethic they had.

I feel the world is crumbling around us. Police, politicians, and people of all kinds are living dishonest lives because they feel "entitled". I don't believe the world is going to come to an end on the 21st, but I do very strongly believe that sometime soon things are going to have to readjust. Society's values need to have a serious overhaul. Do we really need to have a cell phone attached to our ear 24/7? I can understand it for someone with a business that relies on the phone, but for a teenager or even a young child, I don't think it is necessary. We are losing touch with how to communicate one on one, face to face. Technology does have its place, but so does imaginative play for children and family values and together time. I don't think we can keep going down this road of dishonesty, horrendous debt, and just plain bad manners for much longer.

I try to look after my own little corner of the world and make sure I lead an honest, frugal life that gives back to my community at every opportunity. Maybe if enough people did that, the world would become a better place for future generations.

When I hear in the news that it will one day become possible to live well past 100, I say, "no thanks". I don't want to see what the world will be like then.

cabinbiscuits
# Posted: 3 Dec 2012 23:02

A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largesse from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits from the public treasury with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy, always followed by a dictatorship. The average age of the world's greatest civilizations has been 200 years.
Great nations rise and fall. The people go from bondage to spiritual truth, to great courage, from courage to liberty, from liberty to abundance, from abundance to selfishness, from selfishness to complacency, from complacency to apathy, from apathy to dependence, from dependence back again to bondage.

Regardless of whom the above words are attributed to I think they are very appropriate.

Montanagirl
# Posted: 4 Dec 2012 00:03

I moved back "home" to Montana seven years ago. Phoenix was great for my career and the winter weather, but I was tired of the "rat race". . . after having to drive my elderly mother to the ER at midnight and worrying about what kind cooks I was going to run into at that time of night, I decided to move back to small town USA. Life here is not perfect either, but I'm surrounded by like minded folks. I'm making a lot less money, (working two part time jobs to make a 40 hr week at the moment) but I'm not surrounded by knuckleheads . . . I joined the 4 wheel drive club and have made a network of friends who are hands on, surivalists (no, I don't mean extremists) but those who hunt their own food, fix their own rigs, build their own homes and are willing to share with neighbors and the like. But then I guess that's why we are all on this forum huh?

hattie
# Posted: 4 Dec 2012 01:22

Malamute
# Posted: 4 Dec 2012 02:02 - Edited by: Malamute

Montanagirl, you may enjoy an outdoor forum called bushcraftusa. Sounds like you'd fit in. There's a few Montnans there, and the discussion ranges all over the lanscape of outdoors, camping, prepping, and some 4 wheeling, etc.

Borrego
# Posted: 4 Dec 2012 03:47

I agree with the OP and myself think that things will get worse sooner than later, tis one of the reasons I wanted the remote cabin with water. I enjoy the act of 'prepping' as it's called, I always figure that if something happens, I'll be ready (or readier than most people) and if nothing ever happens, it's a lot of fun, and I can use everything anyway.... There are some good forums regarding this topic, do a search...they are generally on the same page as those of us on this forum.

Anonymous
# Posted: 4 Dec 2012 07:08

(OP here) had a weird thought, read a lot of forums and see a trend to "self sustained community" I never really liked this idea. I mean in my perfect world I would float plane, or helicopter in, or boat in.

But that being said I am not sure what I dislike about the idea. I think its relying on other people? Maybe its that, maybe its that I think that when a community forms that it has such potential to go wrong. Petty bickering, stubborn ideas, arrogance. All those negatives. I know there are many positives, many hands making light work, sharing of knowledge and methods and such.

I don't know... I feel that hard work can be hard work and though more hands might make it easier, its not anything that can't be handled alone. As for sharing knowledge.. well look whats happening here? A mass exchange of knowledge and ideas, a vast a nearly limitless library all at a few key strokes. Now I realize hands on experience beats fumbling through a few diagrams and how to guides. But its possible to go it alone (or with family)

TheCabinCalls
# Posted: 4 Dec 2012 08:24

OP, having great neighbors, friends or family can never be beat. A community is only as good as its people and I agree with you that as people start to regulate and form "governments" the community starts down a road of less freedom and struggle for power.

There is nothing better than brothers/neighbors banding together to take on a task of survival...hunt, protection, building, etc. I get where you are coming from...we were never supposed to live in these environments...they make people crazy! However, you have the ability to rise above or move on to something better.

Now is a good time to look since there are jobs to be had.

I don't like to see anyone beaten down. Avoid watching the news and look for the good...it is out there.

Montanagirl
# Posted: 4 Dec 2012 10:26

Thanks Malamute, I will check out that site! One thing that struck me with the devastation of hurricane Sandy is how ill prepared we are. Even with all the time of warning, people are ill-prepared. Forget terrorism, good old mother nature can render us helpless. For me, living in a rural/small town community gives me peace of mind. I think we are better prepared. Granted calamity can happen anywhere, but I know I sleep better knowing if my electric goes out, or worse, I am connected with a community who can help. Folks have generators, they have fuel reserves, etc. Like Hank Williams Jr. says, "I can skin a buck and run a trout line . . . a country boy can survive . . . " well, I don't know how to skin a buck, but I know lots of folks who do that consider me a friend and will help.

Malamute
# Posted: 5 Dec 2012 21:27 - Edited by: Malamute

I agree, I love living in a tiny community by the mountains. Folks watch out for each other, and are willing to help out when theres a need. Most know how to hunt, and enough know how to butcher that it isnt an issue (Its really not that hard). Many folks keep a fair supply of basics on hand, some more than others. There are some farms close by that grow some useful things also. I may even get a garden going someday!

I think we'd do ok in a natural disaster situation.

cabingal3
# Posted: 12 Dec 2012 16:40

well Anonymous!what u are saying is u see a shift in normal things we use to accept as normal.people were more respectful.had morals and were decent.
i see a shift. and i know that there will be a doomsday cause the bible tells me this is so.
i have an a deep faith and hope things will be good and goodness will win over evil.
there was a mall shooting about 8 miles from us and where we shop yesterday.people where killed.so sad...
i just try to enjoy what i enjoy.my cabin,my husband and grandkids and try not too look about too much.
but i do see what u see.

Anonymous
# Posted: 12 Dec 2012 18:41

You have a choice on how you look at the world and what you see. If you want to see only doom and gloom than you will. Who you surround yourself with will also factor into your attitude. Change your thoughts to positive ones or live with the consequences.

cabingal3
# Posted: 13 Dec 2012 07:43

i sure agree Anonymous.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.