Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off Topic / Reason for getting away and living in my Cabin
. 1 . 2 . >>
EvoQ
# Posted: 21 Dec 2012 18:33

Over this last year I have had allot of time to do some reflecting on my life and also of society.
Back in the 1950's American changed a good bit into the society that we have today. In the 1950's we had defeated Hitler and our economy started to blossom because the war effort had built up our manufacturing capacity. People were making a decent living and the Government grew along with the Economy.

However back in the 1950's we as Americans Valued IDEALS over Wealth and Power.

So many Great Men and Women took center stage to lead us into a better and more productive life. But at the same time, our society was lead down the Path of "One Size Fit's All" mass production took hold with cheaper and mostly better products. But to what end?

Madison Avenue convinced us that we needed 50 choices of Peanut Butter, that we needed to trade our good working car in on a new one every year or so. Capitalism took hold and then Government regulation came about to Help the Super Rich Get even Super Richer.

Now here we all are, living in a World where our Government is burdensome and Tremendously Large and Invasive into our Daily Lives. We have almost at our grasps an overwhelming amount of products to purchase. Ever facet of our lives are in foot step with everyone else.

Not because we like it that way but our Whole system is built on the principle of Groups. The Rich Group does that, the Working Group does this. Individualism has been tarnished to the point where it doesn't fit into our society at all. Our HealthCare unlike the rest of the world is Based on the Group dynamic, if you fall outside that Group then you are SOL.

If you do not Lock Step in tune with your neighbor they look down on you. If your kids show signs of Skill or Arts and choose to pursue that profession your neighbors and friends preach College. But to What End ?

Society Values Wealth And Power Above IDEALS, to the point where BaseBall players making $30Million per Year for some odd reason hold sway on the products we should buy. As if these Super Millionaires know what is best for us.

The Haves and Have Nots-- Gap is growing to a level not seen back to the 1910's when we had a Plutocracy Society of either Rich or Poor and they did not ever mingle.

Technology has reached out to the stars and beyond to the point where we can Design, Create a Spacecraft the size of a car. Land it safely on Mars, have it do whatever maneuver we tell it and run scientific experiments. But we can Feed our Children, or even Educate every single child in this country.

We have lost of way, we have let those in Wealth and Power dictate our every step in life.

Until we decide to place Ideals over Wealth and Power we are doomed to perpetuate this death hold that Society/Government has on us all.

So I choose here in the hopefully middle of my Life to make my last stand. To Build my own life in the wilds. To Live off grid, to grow my own food, to hunt most of my own meat. To wake up to the Mountain Vistas, to go to sleep with the only noise of the rustling wind. Not to hear the Scream of Ambulances, yelling of Death and Sadness.

I want to Summer in the Colorado Mountains in my handbuilt Cabin, and Winter on the Water of Mexico's Gulf of California on my handbuilt HouseBoat. I choose a Life of my own choice, where I make my next step an am not dictated my every move.

I want my friends to come visit and show them that living with less is More Not Less Fulfilling !

I wonder why everyone makes this step of Cabin Life. For some it is just a chance to get away fro the weekend, But I honestly wonder How Many in-fact make it a Lifestyle ? Why do you choose the Cabin Life ? Temporary or Full Time ? Philosophical or Practical ?

Thanks for listening to my rant, let me know what your choice is ?

Have a Great Holidays, May Peace be with You and Yours.

trollbridge
# Posted: 21 Dec 2012 19:05

EvoQ,
I enjoyed reading your post...I love the folks here who have made their cabins their full time homes...less definitely is more.

For us our cabin is only for weekend getaways, but was built based on more of a philosophical ideal of being out in the woods,living off grid and being happy finding practical ways of getting by without all the modern conveniences that life at home provide. It was a back to the basics we wanted to experience. A place for family to gather if they wished and a creative outlet for ideas. The challenges of building have at times been stressful, exhausting and overwhelming but in the end accomplishing our goals has been highly satisfying!

hattie
# Posted: 21 Dec 2012 22:30

Our cabin is full time and we have made it into a business (small 3 unit motel). We moved here because it provided an inexpensive lifestyle. Neither of us had jobs with pensions, so any money we had was saved the old fashioned way (doing without). We work for ourselves and have no staff to worry about. If we want to get away for a day out in the bush, we just put up the Closed sign. We make very little money, but manage to scrape by without buying fancy coffees in town or eating out in restaurants or burger joints.

Our life here is simple and basic. Our home is small and we have surrounded ourselves with things we love and have gotten rid of things we don't need. We grow our own veggies and fruit, can and make jam, and hubby hunts grouse in the fall. When the grandkids come to visit, their toys are not battery operated - they are imagination operated. I hope I never have to move back to a big city again. This is the best life I could ever have dreamed of living.

rayyy
# Posted: 22 Dec 2012 05:27

My incentive was "MONEY",,,or the lack of.Just trying to maintain living in the rat race environment was a constant struggle to generate enough money for one more week.Living pay check to pay check is great until someone or somthing throw's a monkeywrench into it.You find yourself starting to borrow more money out of next week's paycheck to pay bill's this week.Next thing you know,your borrowing money from next month's pay check and so on and so on.Unlike our government,I can't live with that awefull feeling.Our government is borrowing so much money so far into the future now that our kid's and grand kid's will be paying that off long after were all dead and gone.I don't know how they sleep at night.

oldgringo
# Posted: 22 Dec 2012 06:49

I don't like people, much. Not misanthropic...that's too strong...just like being alone and savoring the quiet. So I camp.

My cabin is little more than a permanent tent. Dirt floor. Water barrel outside. Woodstove. Mostly a place to hang my hammock and cook my coffee out of the weather.

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 22 Dec 2012 09:04

EvoQ
I don't suppose you're a nice looking woman, I'd like to go with you. LOL.

I do go ''out there'' I say it that way because, when I'm at my cabin it's out there. I'm far enough away from the population , I can't here or see any of it. I go there to refresh my mind. I agree with most of what you said and read the whole thing. I however, have always lived independent though and have no real regrets. Even at my home, I live outside the city and have horses in a house I built myself.
But here in my own little world I can see what you're talking about and it's hard to ignore.

ericfromcowtown
# Posted: 22 Dec 2012 09:12

EvoQ,

I sympathize with much of what you say, but don't get trapped into looking at the past through rose-coloured glasses. With few exceptions, power and wealth have always trumped ideals in the public square. "The preacher" in Ecclesiastes had it right:

What has been is what will be,
and what has been done is what will be done,
and there is nothing new under the sun.

Martian
# Posted: 22 Dec 2012 10:16

How to spend one's time is the largest decision any of us make because time is the most valued asset we have. We're never sure how much of it is left and can't buy any more of it, but we are free to spend it in any manner we choose.........until, suddenly, its gone!

During my life, I've chosen numerous ways to spend it. Sometimes I immersed myself in the decadent pursuit of money, power, material goods, and beautiful women. At other times, it was spent immersed in the natural world sailing oceans, experiencing the peace of being along for long periods of time, and pursuing beautiful women when the opportunity presented itself. Now, I am immersed in my little cabin and have found the balance between rabid consumerism/wealth accumulation, nature's tranquility, and the pursuit of beautiful women.

How one spends their time is not nearly as critical as realizing they are spending their time. Hopefully, they'll consider their time well spent when its gone.

Tom

trollbridge
# Posted: 22 Dec 2012 11:23

Lol...with the underlying theme being the pursuit of beautiful women...that's funny Martian!

Ericfromcowtown-your wife had to have had the baby by now
Congratulations! I hope all went well and baby is healthy and that your wife is recovering nicely. Merry Christmas to you and your family!

Sustainusfarm
# Posted: 22 Dec 2012 11:28

We use ours as weekend only too. I do have a great feeling being there knowing that it only costs a fraction of what the city house does and in order to stay warm in the winter it only takes my time to cut more wood ( which is healthier for me anyways). Time and cash outflow slow down at the cabin as well and where my dreams can actually come true in a relatively short time....

Martian
# Posted: 22 Dec 2012 11:51

Quoting: trollbridge
Lol...with the underlying theme being the pursuit of beautiful women...that's funny Martian!

To paraphrase: If women don't find you handsome, maybe they'll find you funny!

Speaking of babies, how is your wonderful addition doing?

Tom

trollbridge
# Posted: 22 Dec 2012 12:14

She is wonderful!
Slept again from 2AM to 8 so I'm rested...she sleeps well the nights the moonbeams are shining through our bedroom window
She is the best Christmas gift ever! Merry Christmas to you Tom!

ericfromcowtown
# Posted: 22 Dec 2012 13:04

Quoting: trollbridge
Ericfromcowtown-your wife had to have had the baby by now
Congratulations! I hope all went well and baby is healthy and that your wife is recovering nicely. Merry Christmas to you and your family!

Yes, we were blessed with a healthy and content little boy. It's a busy and full household this Christmas!

trollbridge
# Posted: 22 Dec 2012 21:09

Ahhh, congratulations!! When was he born? Isn't it wonderful having a Christmas baby? So glad he is healthy and content!

EvoQ
# Posted: 23 Dec 2012 02:15

-OwenChristensen- Sorry but I'm all Man, but I know for what you seek as I do the same, have been on that search now for about 8 years, came close a few times but not close enough.

I know how you feel for me I am a Just a Big Kid in a Man's Body, allot of my girl-friends even call me Boy. I enjoy trying to stay athletic even with the ravages of time weighing down on me.

I am what you call a Skilled Tradesman in several different fields. All of them were self taught. Currently I own my own business where creating is a daily venture and I love it. It also allows me time to pursue those other interests of mine.

I have been both Blessed and Cursed with too much Curiosity and a Need to Explore and also Create. At this stage in my life I want to live out my dream and show others that they too can live out their dreams. These Others just need to find out what they really Dream of, not that New Lexus or Bimmer in the driveway every other year. I call it keeping u with the Joneses, and that type of hunger can never be satiated for there truly is a Bottomless pit.

I read above where Hattie even had the idea to make their Cabin into a business. That has also crossed my mind as I love to meet new but Interesting people. I have thought of building other Cabins on my property to have for guests, where they can hike, or in my favorite Mount Bike, and even Ride the Horses too. At one point I had even toyed with a Micro Cabin development, where you could buy enough land to grow a garden but share stables and such but maybe have 10-20 of these Micro Cabins as a Community. We shall see down the road a piece.

I have planed for all types of contingencies.

What I truly set out to do was to get in touch with my inner-self, and my body. I wanted to get as physically Healthy as I could and at the same time get as Mentally Healthy too. Not having the best of childhoods, I have always avoided conflict and drama. I wanted to in this middle age live the rest of my life as content as I could. No drama, tackle every problem as if it were a challenge and opportunity to grow as a person.

To somehow find a way to reach out and to help others. To not take more than I am willing to give back.

I have the time now to Study History/Art/Philosophy/Self Reliance , to read, to experiment. But most importantly, to create each and every day. I can shape and mold things with my hands, why not shape and mold my life into something that I have always dreamed of.
So here I am making that Dream into a Reality. I try not to look back but to have one foot into today and the other foot into tomorrow.

As the Dog Whisperer says to Live in the Moment !

It;s Great to come back and see all these Awesome posts on this topic. I hope to see more but to those have written Thanks for sharing. I think a few of us as searching for the same things. Maybe we could share Hunting secrets.....lol....

Keep em' coming !

cabingal3
# Posted: 23 Dec 2012 06:38

i want us to work on our property out in the healthy fresh mountain air.i want us to have the good water to drink from our well.i think easy is not always best for us.
i want to help my husband chop wood and stack it for winter.
i want us to grow our own food.why?so we can live longer doing what we enjoy.which is building out on our wood land property together.
my brother in laws rich wife told him that she has no clue to what we are doing out in the woods.
well we are making a retirement for us.not stuck in town where its so costly.where as u say Evoq-u have to keep up .its so costly here.in town just to live in the house we live in is too much money.we are surrounded by woods here in town.no one is allowed to barely come out of our house.there a huge hill here where we live in this park.no one is allowed on it.no sledding when it snows.
they just want u to stay in your home.behave.
we could and will live in our woods.the land paid off.the cabin built.no mortage.no water bills and no electric bill out there.and lots of exercise and freedom.
pretty exciting to me.
i have a funny hunting tip on how to catch a squirrel.put some food in an old fashioned milk bottle and the squirrel will climb in and cant get out.an old guy told me this one...then what do u do with it?lol

Borrego
# Posted: 24 Dec 2012 16:09

EvoQ - Good writing there, my friend! I suspect there are many of us out there. I'm a product of that great era as well (born 1953) and find myself desiring the more simple times, the quiet, the peace. Our off-grid retreat is over 100 miles (2 hrs) from home and only a weekend getaway for now due to business and family concerns. But we are in the process of moving from our city condo out to the outskirts of town to a 1 acre lot with a large house. It's still close enough to the big city, but feels like the country, (no sidewalks, street lights, mailboxes, etc...) we can have some animals, grow some vegetables, plant some fruit trees and get away from the constant sensory overload that goes along with living in the city. And we still have our 'desert retreat' to really get away to and now we're 30 minutes closer to it also!
Fortunately, my wonderful wife is on exactly the same page, I am such a lucky man! We are also on a quest for the ultimate in physical/ mental/spiritual well-being despite the aging process....
Thanks for starting this thread!

countryred
# Posted: 25 Dec 2012 10:16 - Edited by: countryred

To me, the cabin life is more than just living in a cabin. Its about a simple yet connected way of life. The stress of dealing with a lot of people and the rush of trying to get ahead of the Jones is replaced with working hard producing your own food and shelter and enjoying life and nature.We currently live in town but are making plans to a simpler life in a few years.
We both changed jobs, and now spend a lot less on gas, so we can kick butt on our debts and have our home paid for earlier and can bulk up our savings. About that same time, our daughter will moving off to college.

We plan to buy our acreage, 5 to 15,.. in 5 years, and move there in 10. Sell the house, buy a Derksen type cabin, or have 1 built, around 380 sq. foot. Put the rest of the house money in the bank as our emergency fund.
During the 5 years we have the land before the building we can camp there and start preparing the lot and clearing trees, as well as planting fruit trees for the future.
Nothing fancy, some power, about a 100 amp panel, a rain water collection system, and a big garden and a few chickens.
Both of us get part time jobs, and spend a lot of time together at the cabin.

TomChum
# Posted: 25 Dec 2012 21:35 - Edited by: TomChum

Evoq,

Can't claim I haven't considered many of the same things, but..... Really, going to my cabin for the good times is my prime motivation, and what I enjoy about the cabin.

==============
A poem by Jalaludin Rumi comes to mind:
(written appx 900 years ago!)

There is a small green island
where one white cow lives alone,
a meadow of an island.

The cow grazes until nightfall, full and fat,
but during the night she panics
and grows thin as a single hair.
"What will I eat tomorrow?
There's nothing left!"

By dawn the grass has grown up again,
waist-high. The cow starts eating
and by dark the meadow is clipped short.

She is full of strength and energy,
but she panics in the dark as before
and grows abnormally thin overnight.

The cow does this over and over
and this is all she does.

She never thinks,
"This meadow has never failed
to grow back. What should I be afraid
every night that it won't?"

The cow is the bodily soul.
The island field is this world
where that grows lean with fear
and fat with blessing,
lean and fat. White cow,
don't make yourself miserable
with what is to come or not to come.

EvoQ
# Posted: 26 Dec 2012 12:04

I hear yas.....but for me it's more like this little number by a big time Fav of mine --->

"Preacher man, don't tell me,
Heaven is under the earth.
I know you don't know
What life is really worth.
It's not all that glitters is gold;
'Alf the story has never been told:
So now you see the light, eh!
Stand up for your rights. come on!

Get up, stand up: stand up for your rights!
Most people think,
Great god will come from the skies,
Take away everything
And make everybody feel high.
But if you know what life is worth,
You will look for yours on earth:
And now you see the light,
You stand up for your rights. jah!

Get up, stand up! (jah, jah! )
We sick an' tired of-a your ism-skism game -
Dyin' 'n' goin' to heaven in-a Jesus' name, lord.
We know when we understand:
Almighty god is a living man.
You can fool some people sometimes,
But you can't fool all the people all the time.
So now we see the light (what you gonna do?),
We gonna stand up for our rights! (yeah, yeah, yeah! )

So you better:
Get up, stand up! (in the morning! git it up! )
Stand up for your rights! (stand up for our rights! )
Get up, stand up!
Don't give up the fight! (don't give it up, don't give it up! ) "

And also some 3 little Birds thrown in for good measure !

TomChum
# Posted: 26 Dec 2012 23:42 - Edited by: TomChum

Don't forget your history;
Know your destiny:
In the abundance of water,
The fool is thirsty.
Rat race, rat race, rat race!

Rat race!
Oh, it's a disgrace
To see the human-race
In a rat race, rat race!

exsailor
# Posted: 28 Dec 2012 14:02

Sorry EvoQ it all began in 1913. That was when we finally added the 16th amendment to the constitution creating a permanent income tax. Before then a person was able to pretty much earn a living and the Government had little impact on his life. Once the government got a hold of tracking your wealth and grabbing it's share it could be the tool liberals needed to take care of the needy and begin the redistribution binge we see today. Had the depression in the 30's not happened our life would be very different today. I believe that was when the entitlement mentality got it's start and has been growing with each generation. Johnson just accelerated it when legislation was enacted for his "Great Society". I think you might find this an interesting read and Greg Crosby says it much better than I. http://www.jewishworldreview.com/cols/crosby122812.php3 .

EvoQ
# Posted: 28 Dec 2012 18:51

While I agree with some of what you talk about; the reality of this situation is that we must go forward and not backwards. We can Yes; use history as tools to make better decisions for our future. But we must go forward and make a better life for our country and world.

There is absolutely No-Way Social Security or most other Government run Social Programs will ever be repealed; at least not in the immediate future; say the next 50 years. Why then don't we try to make the system work better?

Getting Back on Topic; a friend dropped by the other day and asked about how my plans were coming along. I began to tell her what I was currently doing towards obtaining my property. she then started in on me about Leaving all this behind; as she waved her arms around. To make notice of my nice home with Electricity at the flip of a switch, and the ease of use of the Toilet...lol...of course a Girl would think about the toilet somewhere along the line in any Off-grid conversation.

I have tried to explain to my friends that just don't get it; the Why I am doing what I am planning of an Off-Grid Lifestyle. but allot of these friends just can't even imagine leaving such luxuries behind. I try my best to explain that those luxuries are also Like he proverbial Monkey on your Back, and or a Crutch that only props one up but one must at some point in their lives stand on their own 2 feet without the luxuries of society helping them.

There are not just 1 reason fro living Off-Grid but many many reasons for me that is. Maybe for some people it is a single reason, and that is why I started this Thread/Post. I wanted to hear from others the reasoning that they made this huge step and lived the Cabin lifestyle.

silverwaterlady
# Posted: 28 Dec 2012 20:29

I'm curious. Have you spent any time living off grid? I spend about 95% of my time living off grid on vacation at our cabin and 3 weeks at a time in a semi truck for work. I have learned to adapt. But if the circumstances were different at my cabin I would be on the grid. Why? Because its less expensive (if the power lines are close, not in our case)and it's makes life a lot easier.

In the truck it's easy to keep warm in the winter. The summer is a totally different story. No idle laws in many state equal trying to sleep in humid heat. I use a head lamp and lantern to keep the battery up so my refrigerator won't shut off. Using public showers and restrooms. So I'm just wondering why anybody by choice would want to make life more difficult than it already is?

EvoQ
# Posted: 28 Dec 2012 21:29

Oh Yes, allot of Life has spent Off-Grid with no ties to public utilities. I have wanted to live this way Off-Grid for a while now but have not been able to. I have been planning this out very carefully and have not just rushed into this by any means. It's been on my mind and in my Dreams for a very Long time. That's the whole reason for my Cabin Plans. Back in the Wilds of Colorado away from the nearest town there won't be available any Electricity as that is the way I want it. I want to live by my own rules under no ones thumb. What Electricity that I have will be made on my property.

I think that You might be confused to what Off-Grid actually is. It doesn't mean to Go Without Electricity or without Water or without anything really. Off-Grid means to not be using your utilities from outside sources. In some cases you can even have Electric lines into your house, but the Electricity that you make flows outward back to the Electricity company.

I plan on using Micro-Hydro-Electric for my Electricity source, I'll have access to a constant supply of Water so I will get my water from that Water source. I probably will also have a few Wind Turbines also.

And I then have my Houseboat where I will live in the dead of Winter down in Mexico. I have to use a Generator for my Electricity but have a diesel Powered Generator which will use Bio-Diesel fuel, and also the engine on the Houseboat runs off of Bio Diesel. It is a bit more maintenance to run Bio-Diesel but well worth the benefits to the environment.

I just made a pledge to myself to not take away too much from this earth. I know full well that my footsteps have been heavy at times but the future is a different story and situation where as I can start controlling my footprint allot better. We waste so much, it is going to eventually come back on us in the future.

Not that I just want to be more Environmentally Cleaner in my lifestyle, but I also want to slow down and enjoy smelling the roses. Getting back to nature so to speak. I also do not intend to live 100% off-Grid as I will have a business to run in town so in that regard I will be on the grid with my business, but 80% of the time is my goal to be Off-Grid.

cabingal3
# Posted: 29 Dec 2012 08:11

yes.we have power lines right on our property.we are not hooking up to anything outside of us but we are using alternative power sources.
enjoy and good luck .sounds like u know what u are wanting to do EvoQ

Cotton Picker
# Posted: 3 Jan 2013 15:54

Living "OFF GRID" would come natural to me (AGAIN!)

I was born in 1936 on a cotton farm in the flat Delta lands of Southern Mississippi.

We had no running water, no telephone, no electricity or propane for heating & cooking.

We drove pump pipe 15 ft into the ground in our back yard to obtain water for drinking, cooking & batheing.

We cut wood from our land for heating & cooking.

We obtained most of our food from the River in front of our house, the woods behind our house & the garden, orchard & fields in between.

Game & fish were plentiful! It was only a matter of how much hunting & fishing you were willing to do.

We canned veggies & fruit. We cured meat by smoking & salting. We "borrowed" honey from wild & tame bees. Used the beeswax for waterproofing our shoes.

We grew our corn which we had ground into corn meal at the local grist mill.

We planted fruit & nut trees & also gathered fruit & nuts from wild trees.

We gathered & canned wild blackberries. AHH! THOSE FRESH BLACK BERRY PIES!!

I estimate that 85-90 % of the food we consumed grew on our farm.

Money was scarce but food was always plentiful.

When I turned 18, graduated from High School & joined the Military for a 20 year hitch & retirement NOTHING on the farm had changed! LOL

Since then I have become successful & have very much enjoyed the modern life.

I am 76 & still working full time (for Civil Service)

At this point I could liquidate my holdings, have excellent additional monthly tax free income, buy land, build my home, live off grid again & be happy.

I have a wide variety of skills, including, carpentry & wood working, Auto Mechanic, welder & metal fabricator, farming, animal husbandry, hunting, fishing etc.

I can make, modify, repair almost anything that is mechanical or wood related etc.

There is just one little hitch in my well thought out plans;
My Wife does not share my feelings in this regard!!

ALAS & ALACK!!

Oh well, there must be SOMETHING to take the joy out of life otherwise you would never know when you were happy!!! LOL

Cotton Picker

trollbridge
# Posted: 3 Jan 2013 16:13

Everything was going so well and then..............bam! Dang...quite the obstacle to overcome! Lol...oh well, keep working on her, maybe she'll come around

cabingal3
# Posted: 3 Jan 2013 17:33

Cotton Picker.i love reading of your life and times.very very wonderful and so is your additude toward life.

Anonymous
# Posted: 3 Jan 2013 19:43

Since most women have to do all the housework,cooking and cleaning i can understand why your wife is not so happy about doing said things off grid. Off grid makes just a mundane chore twice as hard. And if she is the same age as you are can you really blame her?

. 1 . 2 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.