Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off Topic / Hi speed internet
flatwater
# Posted: 11 Dec 2009 22:28

I plan on some high speed internet at the cabin and will be going satilite. What I have available is wild blue or hughs net. Any one have any dealings with these two ?

Moontreeranch
# Posted: 19 Jan 2010 01:45

if you have decent cell coverage there can also be cellular models for laptops etc...mostly for emails as they have band width limits

ashiqur
# Posted: 29 Oct 2010 13:38

Yes, you can purchase a wireless router to connect your current computer and your wireless devices. And "No" you don't have to pay extra for Wi-Fi.

First, find out from your broadband service provider what routers are compatible with the chinabuye.com modem they provided. Based on their recommendation, surf the net for similar router. After the purchase, follow the instructions included to connect your devices together.

Good luck and I hope this helps.

Gary O
# Posted: 30 Oct 2010 12:52

Actually, this is a good topic for me, albeit a bit premature.
Once retired, and living at the property, a must have will be full blown high speed internet.
What does one need in the local service dept, as far as dish or dsl?
Fiber optic was laid thru the area a few years back, so hoping it won't be an issue.
I'll be using it for business ventures.

Fin
# Posted: 30 Oct 2010 14:04

When I head to the family cottage I take my macbook pro and iphone. It's easy to tether the phone, via bluetooth, to the laptop and bingo I'm online using 3GS service. With 2 gigs of data service a month I've never even come close to using it all up.

In my area of northern Ontario, north of Bancroft, Bell service is best, my wife's phone, but you can also get by on Rogers, my work phone.

My two cents. :-)

Cheers

Fin

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 30 Oct 2010 14:05

Gary, at my cabin, we can get internet with a Verizon high speed wireless card on a laptop.

Gary O
# Posted: 30 Oct 2010 15:44

Quoting: Fin
It's easy to tether the phone, via bluetooth, to the laptop and bingo I'm online using 3GS service. With 2 gigs of data service a month I've never even come close to using it all up.

Quoting: toyota_mdt_tech
Verizon high speed wireless card on a laptop

Me being a techno ignopotamus, and having an aversion to laptops, would there be any issues to connect to my desk top?

And, '2 gigs', would that be enough for (say) a small buisness (quick books, simple ERP, retention of Email strings for years, etc)?

Fin
# Posted: 30 Oct 2010 16:23

Quoting: Gary O
Me being a techno ignopotamus, and having an aversion to laptops, would there be any issues to connect to my desk top?

And, '2 gigs', would that be enough for (say) a small buisness (quick books, simple ERP, retention of Email strings for years, etc)?

Well as a convert to macs I'm not an expert on PCs but I know I can use my imac desktop exactly the same way as my laptop. Blue tooth the phone and away. And the two gigs of download data plans are way more that you'd probably use. Look at it like this. I use my iphone for work, handle somewhere in the vicinity or 300 emails in and out a day. I download tons of videos for the kids to watch and I've downloaded about 2.5 gigs since Nov. of last year and uploaded less than a gig. I could download hd movies to my mac and watch them in the bush and probably still not get into trouble.

Now if you have a pc desktop we need someone else to chime in here.
:-)

Cheers

Fin

Gary O
# Posted: 30 Oct 2010 16:49

Well, that sends me a direction.
Thanks Fin.

dabones
# Posted: 30 Oct 2010 16:54

Be carefull, on my home network, I use 25GB a month, thats b/t my 2 teenage daughters and my wife and I.. and that's with me limiting youtube and other streaming media to only wknds!

when I go to the bush, I prefer to not have my computer and cell phone work well.. I did buy a Verizon Prepaid phone to use on my property, when I'm lucky I get enough signal to send and receive text msg's, that's about it.. just enough to keep a little contact for when the kids stay at home.. I dont' go to the bush to play on my computer, I go there to play in my bush. :)

now, if I was going to live there, w/o another 'home', then I could definitely see wanting Internet and Phone...

fasenuff
# Posted: 30 Oct 2010 17:48

You want to be careful about using your cell phone as a source for internet on your laptop. A friend was doing that and he did not have a cell plan that allowed that and got caught. The resulting bill was extreme. Having said that I have a plan that allows for "tethering" and sometimes signal and speed are good and others non-existant. I am looking into sat internet myself.

bobrok
# Posted: 3 Nov 2010 09:03

I have used two different types of air cards on my laptop (with AT&T signal) and, while the 2nd was faster than the 1st they both left a lot to be desired. I recently got a smartphone thru Verizon and use an app that allows me to tether. There are several available phones and apps. I connect at 2.4 Mbps, much faster than my aircards.
Do make sure your plan allows for tethering.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.