Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off Topic / How would you rate these animals
flatwater
# Posted: 13 Dec 2009 21:34

How would you rate these animals in order of a threat to a person ?
Black bear
mouse
moose
cougar
coyote

Vince P
# Posted: 14 Dec 2009 10:08

Mice are by far the biggest threat because of their easy ability to transmit disease into your living space. Of all the other species listed, it would depend on the population density of each.

flatwater
# Posted: 14 Dec 2009 21:48

good answer VP , I was hoping more people would respond. The second inline I would say would be the moose, their to unpredictable

Borrego
# Posted: 14 Dec 2009 22:04

Which one would I least like to meet on a hike?

Bear
Cougar
Coyote(s)
Moose
Mouse

lawnjocky
# Posted: 14 Dec 2009 22:20

I would say Bear as they tend to be shy. However most people have never seen a mt lion. Ive seen 5 the last one at 35 feet. That time I was driving my jeep down a dirt road and my son says "What was that?" I stopped and ran over to the side of the road and there down the embankment was a female lion. She looked at me for a bit and then casually started to walk away looking back once.

I agree with the statements about Moose. Several years ago I was moose hunting in Alberta. We were calling. The guide went to help another hunter look for a wounded moose so I was alone and walking down a trail. I see a moose heading my way so I crouch down. The moose is running across in front of me when it suddenly turns and comes right at me. It was a younger male and I really wasn't interested in it so I tried to wave it off. It didn't do any good he was charging. I didn't even have time to flip up my scope caps, fortunately they were clear ones. I shot the moose straight on in the chest. He turned and started running off. At this point I had to finish the job and did so with two follow up shots. When we skinned him we found that the first bullet had litteraly exploded on impact due to the close range and high velocity. The gun was a Remington 300 ultra mag. the wound was only an eighth inch deep nick. That was the closest I have ever come to being seriously injured hunting.

Jocko

flatwater
# Posted: 14 Dec 2009 22:32

I have heard a lot about the 300 ultra mag but I prefer my 45/70 with a 405 grain flat point. although I don't like to shoot any game past 100 yards. All my deer hunting I use a 54 cal lyman round ball only

lawnjocky
# Posted: 16 Dec 2009 19:42

I like the 45/70 too, I have two of them, a Marlin 1895 and a Rolling Block. I use a 405 gr cast in the Marlin and 535 gr cast over black powder in the Rolling Block. I agree with you on getting close and I prefer using open sighted guns these days. I also hunt with a 1895 Winchester in 30/40 Krag, It is an original. I only use the ultra mag for elk these days and even there I am close to going with something a bit more traditional.

Jocko

flatwater
# Posted: 16 Dec 2009 22:04

Heres a picture of my 30/40
spanish American war
spanish American war

lawnjocky
# Posted: 17 Dec 2009 07:07

That looks a bit familiar. Mine doesn't have the hand guard. Mine has an aftermarket rear sight too but it is a Redfield. I'll have to take some pictures and post them.

I was talking to a friend yesterday who just got back from a hunting trip in southwest Texas. One of the guys was stalked by a mt lion for 45 minutes. The guy is very experienced and he heard what he thought was a deer grunting. Each time he squated down to hide. Eventually he heard a growl and knew it was no deer. After that he stopped squating and saw the cat. The cat then circled around and took a position at the base of the hill clearly waiting to ambush. The hunter realizing this was a problem cat shot it with his 270 win. At the base of the hill there was some blood but no cat. After looking a bit the hunter returned to camp and got help. They tracked the cat to some heavy brush and crawled in with handguns. Lucky for them they did not find it. After considerable time they abandoned their efforts. I was very disturbed to hear the story knowing how dangerous a wounded cat is to other humans. They should have located a houndsman and found that cat no matter what it took. A wounded mt lion that has already shown an interest in humans is a nightmare waiting to happen.

Jocko

Jocko

flatwater
# Posted: 17 Dec 2009 19:28

Can they still use hounds in Texas ? Here in Wa. State they band hounds for awhile. Then when the kids started being drug off and all the cats and dogs started missing they took their head out and started allowing dogs to be used again. They also passed a no trapping bill (while their heads were still inserted) but going by the letter of the law, it made it Illegal to set a gopher or mouse trap. Their heads came out again and that was changed. I found out that the head of our game commission is a anti hunting person.(non Male)

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.