Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off Topic / Jack plates and boating
beachman
# Posted: 16 Mar 2013 17:56

Anyone here use a jack plate for a small skiff to raise the transom height to be able to use a standard (20") outboard? I was thinking in this direction as I have an older Boston Whaler - 1965 and I don't necessarily want to build up the transom as suggested to accommodate the longer shaft and possibly change the original boat design. If so - recommendations please.

Martian
# Posted: 16 Mar 2013 19:07

There is a large lever load exerted by the motor on the transom. If you extend the transom up, then you increase the leverage the motor has on the transom.

If I were going to design a bolt-on plate, there would be legs that ran forward and attached to the front of the transom seat assuming there is one. Somehow, you have to transfer the lever load to something besides just the transom or the flexing will destroy the transom/hull joint.

Tom

beachman
# Posted: 16 Mar 2013 22:32

Thanks Tom. You make a good point. I'll check this out with the guy who's going to rebuild the transom.

Martian
# Posted: 17 Mar 2013 11:45

You're welcome.

Just so you know, I made my living solving problems on boats for 25 years.

Tom

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.