Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off Topic / to stay or go?
Grandma Off Grid
# Posted: 6 Apr 2013 08:31

not sure where to put this? move if needed.

it looks like the move for the grown kids has been either delayed or moved to different area.

so here is my quandry.

i have a home now. 3 seasons out the year it needs no a/c or heat, it is almost 4000 sq ft and set up for off grid.
its paid for, taxes are under 100 a year and if i use the electric its like under 20 a month. its very rural.

i am going to need some way to mow grass, as with my shoulder injury i won't be able to push the mower.

i don't have a big chunk of change to put down on somewhere else.

i solved my phone/internet issue by getting a smart phone, which will cost me 45 a month for both cell and internet. can charge in car if needed.

one issue i have is that my place now needs some repair. don't they all? but i know my locals and can have Amish do it if i can scrape the dough together. my grown kids said they would come from city to help when able.

i love my old place. its all set up already. be a job to relocate it all.
its just over an acre but thats all i need.

in the winter i can stay in the one room that has plumbing and use a space heater. wood to heat the place costs 200 a month and usually has to be gotten and brought out. i could get enough for a couple of days for a holiday dinner, pretty cheap.

monthly costs are minimal. tiny light bill, cell/internet, yearly taxes, for just me most of the time its pretty darn cheap.

it would hard to sell the place, nothing out here is selling, and i would never get what i put into it. then i'd have to move all my stuff. its all stuff for living off grid and my books and so on.

any feedback?

oldgringo
# Posted: 6 Apr 2013 11:23

Two thoughts: One, my parents never moved all over the place to be close to me. They stayed put, and let me come to them. That made sense to them, then, and it makes sense to me, now.

You're not wealthy....you can't afford to take a loss voluntarily.

My advice: stay put, and find an old dawg like me, who will cut your grass in exchange for a home cooked meal and a bit of conversation. The woods are full of us.

Grandma Off Grid
# Posted: 6 Apr 2013 16:45

would love that if i could find one! but yes, good advice spot on.

SE Ohio
# Posted: 6 Apr 2013 18:16

A riding mower with electricc starter ( used) has to be cheaper than the cost of a move. No shoulder issue with electric start.

Rossman
# Posted: 6 Apr 2013 18:20

And by god riding mowers are a ton o' fun...but I do like oldgringo's idea as well

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 6 Apr 2013 20:03

Or get a goat.

You might be overthinking. Anyone, anywhere has issues to deal with. You might just have less where you're at. At least you are more informed as to what they might be .

Here are my lawnmowers.

Owen
the eat grass
the eat grass

hattie
# Posted: 6 Apr 2013 20:49 - Edited by: hattie

4000 sq. ft. is awfully large. Is there any way you could somehow divide up the house and rent part of it out? Maybe tell the renter they could stay for cheap or free even, as long as they helped with the lawns, etc.

I would do everything I could to figure out a way to stay. It sounds like you are comfortable there and you probably wouldn't find anything that would make you as happy as you are there.

sparky1
# Posted: 6 Apr 2013 21:25

Grandma Off Grid

I also "Vandwell" some times---there are Vandwellers,RV's that would love to have a place to Park (free)" sort of. Looking for Just what you have----provide some elec/water etc.and they will take care of your place.

unfortunly i tried this & both guys -were just plain lazy, but i tried it.
My shoulder has gotten better & i'm able to do my yard now.
good luck.

Grandma Off Grid
# Posted: 7 Apr 2013 05:36 - Edited by: Grandma Off Grid

all very good replies! offer free rent and water/electric for doing small chores. got to be careful of who though. i have had family from down south big cities who came to visit. their behavior was often atrocious: " do they deliver pizza out here".."where is the mall"...asking me about the sexual habits of my Amish neighbors, etc.. staying up till 2 in the morning yakking on cell phone, etc. complaining constantly about how early everyone got up..yelling at grown kids on cell phone with nasty language on the front porch at all hours. you got to have people who understand country etiquette. i actually wrote a lengthy piece on that

i tried to post this using my smart phone but it didn't take my log in.

i've had the livestock for lawnmowers, but good fencing, care and feed is an issue i don't think i could manage right now. very good idea though if you can.
the cheap riding mower sounds good. i have had many, picked them up cheap, they last a couple years.

i know i will be putting in large food plots all over the yard. that will save some mowing. i got them all ready last year when i didn't have shoulder issues. now i am having both shoulders hurting. have some light non narcotic pain meds from doc, do help.

yes, probably overthinking it all. spring rains coming, after that everything will start growing.

with food prices in the store, man i want to use all the yard for gardens i can. its crazy. but i don't think i will enlarge my chicken flock. i can buy eggs around the corner for cheaper than it costs for feed. and fresh bread, syrup, honey and fruit and veggies too. but i do like to raise all i can.

actually reading thru the vandweller sites is how i learned to do some things off grid. very good ideas that many can implement at home.

rayyy
# Posted: 7 Apr 2013 06:42

Grandma og,if you were my neighbor,I'd be knocking on your door right now!You can't beat that game plan at all!

shooter mcgavin
# Posted: 7 Apr 2013 07:43

If you don't mind me asking, how old are you??
Anyway, why not get surgery on your shoulders or at least get a doctor to look at?
Got a university near by? Rent to some kid, cheap rent, make him work.
How far from Chicago?

Be very leery about posting an ad for just some drifter.

Grandma Off Grid
# Posted: 7 Apr 2013 18:15

hey thank you for the replies and help thinking it all through. was just reading Owens post, lordy, its close to home.

i am in south central MI, almost to state line. i am 49, but the last few years have been very hard on me physically. i go to a free clinic, which they are great, but no insurance for the surgery. so i have been toughing it out the last year. and its hard. rotator cuff stuff is very hard.

i've lost my livelihood, and hardly able to do much when the pain is severe.
doc says another year to heal, with PT, which i can't afford. so doing OTC and bought a small ultrasound machine for 40$, herbs and suppliments. this is hard adjustment as i was always a go-getter. but i'm coping.

i feel on my arm 3 times. i did get an xray (clinic), hairline fractures and arthritus.

i'm a tad leary of posting too much in-depth info on a public site, but lets just say the last 4 years have been very hard physically. last year also my mom and brother passed away within 3 months of eachother. all i was able to do is get in my old vehicle and drive 900 miles each way, for the funerals.

i am going to keep my place, as some have pointed out, its an obvious choice.
one of my grown kids who is un-attached, might come stay with me for the warm months and help.
the riding mower is the best idea. my income is not alot, and this place is paid for and easy to carry, have to figure out something for repairs.

anyone staying out here has to like country life and Amish. it won't work otherwise.
sorry typing with one hand.

rayyy
# Posted: 8 Apr 2013 16:46

You poor honey,we feel for you.Life can be so hard sometimes.You have that positive attitude and optmium that it takes to hang in there.Stay strong.It will get better.

shooter mcgavin
# Posted: 8 Apr 2013 19:50

Sounds like you were dealt a bad hand.
You say you lost your livlihood?
What did you do in the past?
What I don't understand, this country is pretty well off and people can't get decent medical care if they can't pay thru the nose.

leonk
# Posted: 8 Apr 2013 21:33 - Edited by: leonk

Hi grandma, kinda funny calling you grandma, we're almost the same age

First of all, hang in there.
As to your shoulder, I don't know what the diagnosis, but many times shoulders get better w/o surgery. I am not a medical professional, but I had my own issues including one shoulder and if you're interested in free internet advice pls let me know
Arthritis doesn't get better, but it's usually not the main issue. Fractures heal. The problem is with soft tissue - muscles and tendons, mostly tendons.

TheWildMan
# Posted: 9 Apr 2013 08:19

My advice, stay put, the way the economy is you are better off than 95% of the population since you have a place debt free.

have you considered looking for a used riding mower? or purchasing a power assisted push mower? it may be out of your reach but $200 should get either one if you look around, the assisted mower or self propelled push mower turns its own front wheels and you only need to use one hand to steer it. a couple people i know who couldn't use a regular push mower due to arthritis and back problems had started using a self propelled push mower and had an easy time of it.

it was also suggested before to find someone local to help out, local teens may work for a couple bucks, or older neighbors may work for free or food.

if all else fails consider getting a meat breed goat, put it on a long leash (like a dog) and move it around in a rotation, it will mow the lawn for you and in the fall you get some goat in the freezer. a couple families around here do that, costs nothing for feed and you eat the lawn mower when snow is on the ground.

cabingal3
# Posted: 15 Apr 2013 22:14

TheWildMan -thats some good advice.
theres alot of good help here.i sure hope some of it helps u Grandma off Grid.

Grandma Off Grid
# Posted: 17 Apr 2013 08:13

thanks for replies! am on my phone. yes have self propelled mower if i can get started. had goats on tie outs but had to get rid of due to health concerns.
i am almost more concerned about repairs.
yes I'm using YouTube videos for shoulder now let me see if this goes through

Grandma Off Grid
# Posted: 17 Apr 2013 08:13

cool it's posted

241comp
# Posted: 17 Apr 2013 09:21

To find a riding mower, you might check around with the local (or in-town) churches and see if they have a ministry to help meet the physical needs of folks in the community. One church near me has a group of men who collect used but fixable furniture, lawn mowers, appliances, etc and fix them up and give them to folks who need them (regardless of whether they attend the church or not) for various reasons - sometimes it is financial circumstances, sometimes family situations, sometimes medical reasons. Usually, they get these things from people who are replacing theirs with a nicer, newer model and would just be putting their old one out to the curb or selling on craigslist for a few $$. Often, they are in very nice condition once repaired, cleaned and tuned up a bit.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.