Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off Topic / Secrets of the food industry......
shooter mcgavin
# Posted: 8 Apr 2013 20:09

Hey everyone, get a lot of good info from you so ill give some out for free....
Ive been in the food industry many years and have learned a few things. Let me pass on some tips.
1. The is no difference between major label hot cocoa and the stuff you buy at Aldis. Same cocoa, cheaper carton, unprinted film.
2. The name brand bag salad that goes for $2.99 is the exact same as the $.69 stuff at discount grocery stores. Stop the product, change the packaging film, restart. $2.00 cheaper.
3.Oatmeal? Oatmeal is oatmeal. Generic or name brand, same thing.
What im getting at is we pay for packaging than the product in the bag or box.
I will say the food packaging industry is pretty cool. Currently, i work for Smith Brothers, the cough drop people. Want to talk about an interesting field.........

cabingal3
# Posted: 8 Apr 2013 20:28

Hi Shooter.what about grated parmesan cheese?it says cellulose is in it...is that grated plastic?

shooter mcgavin
# Posted: 8 Apr 2013 20:38

It's actually wood or plant fiber used as a declumping agent.
I make poor mans nachos by putting a good amount of Parmesan cheese on tortilla chips 40 seconds in the microwave.
What can I say, I like wood fibers.

trollbridge
# Posted: 8 Apr 2013 21:52 - Edited by: trollbridge

Aldi rules!!!!!!
Good value, in and out in no time, friendly employees and people don't look at me like I'm nuts when I offer to let them go ahead of me in the checkout line (try that at WalMart!), 25 cent cart return-genius! I totally appreciate their efforts to keep prices low!

shooter mcgavin
# Posted: 8 Apr 2013 21:56

Their generic hot cocoa is actually Swiss Miss.

trollbridge
# Posted: 8 Apr 2013 22:12

Swiss Miss cocoa and pudding is made here in our town...smells good!

cabingal3
# Posted: 8 Apr 2013 23:04

Quoting: shooter mcgavin
It's actually wood or plant fiber used as a declumping agent

thanks Shooter.this is interesting to know.thank u.

TheWildMan
# Posted: 9 Apr 2013 08:35

cabingal3

wood fiber is also a main ingredient of waist watchers bread products, the human digestive tract is not able to break down cellulose/wood fiber, its a main ingredient of a lot of diet foods since it fills you up, you feel full, but you can't digest it.

historically wood fiber was ground into flour and added to bread and meal to act as a filler in times of famine.

powder milk shakes: 1 cup instant milk powder, 1/4 cup french vanilla non dairy coffee creamer powder, add to a pint of cold water and stir well, tastes like a vanilla milk shake, add hot cocoa mix for a chocolate shake

Truecabin
# Posted: 9 Apr 2013 16:54

u forgot the baileys irish cream

cabingal3
# Posted: 10 Apr 2013 05:54

thanks TheWildMan.thats some interesting stuff to know.

Rossman
# Posted: 10 Apr 2013 09:21

Almost all dried good are like this, cereals especially!

Its best to avoid pre-prepared foods like pre-grated cheese, parmesan, etc, because like mentioned they all weird fillers and preservatives that really aren't good for you!

TheCabinCalls
# Posted: 11 Apr 2013 08:55

Some private label are the same are some are not. Some companies contract through the plants that produce the Name Brands, but some Brands won't prepare private label...so check labels and make sure you are eating what is good for you...

Also some private label will be 90% of the name brand formula. The last 10% are flavors or other ingredients that are not shared...

Alaskaman
# Posted: 11 Apr 2013 15:15

Scary stuff going on out there.
monsanto.jpg
monsanto.jpg

trollbridge
# Posted: 11 Apr 2013 17:01

Well, ain't that just wonderful!?

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.