Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off Topic / Dads...
trollbridge
# Posted: 16 Jun 2013 08:48 - Edited by: trollbridge

To all of you dads out there, I hope you have a wonderful Father's Day
and to all of you who are fortunate enough to still have your fathers, enjoy talking to them or spending time with them today.

I'm missing my dad but feel so lucky that he was MY dad

countryred
# Posted: 16 Jun 2013 10:20

I here ya Trollbridge,.we should all count the days
we have left with our fathers, and children, as a blessing.

cabingal3
# Posted: 16 Jun 2013 10:48

happy fathers day to all dads out there everywhere.
i pulled everything out of gars den and dusted and cleaned it and pulled up all old carpeting and putting down new flooring.
the kids should be calling to wish him happy fathers day and he is gonna call his dad.i am fixing us a nice fathers day breakfast.hugs cabi

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 16 Jun 2013 13:21 - Edited by: toyota_mdt_tech

Thanks T/B. I am fortunate at almost 53 yrs old, still have both my parents. Dad doesnt get around too well anymore, otherwise, he is as sharp as a tack still. Mom is doing great also. Both in their 80's.

Sorry to hear about your father.

I took dad out to Outback steakhouse last night. My youngest daughter took me to breakfast this AM.

Grandkids and daughters all pitched in and bought me a Whites Coinmaster GT metal detector. I have wanted that unit for some time and they knew it.

Now I have some nice rib steaks to BBQ this evening. I think I gained a few lbs this weekend.

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 16 Jun 2013 14:57

Thanks Troll and all. My three girls and their kids are taking me to Lake Superior North Shore for a picnic tonight. Good kids!

trollbridge
# Posted: 16 Jun 2013 16:10

Sounds like great plans you all have we are going to the BBQ place for dinner if the baby allows (think she's teething, and hopefully not getting ill ), otherwise, we will stay home and I will make BBQ pork chops.

naturelover66
# Posted: 16 Jun 2013 16:49

happy fathers day dads!!!

silverwaterlady
# Posted: 16 Jun 2013 18:39 - Edited by: silverwaterlady

Happy Fathers Day to all the Dads!

My Dad is gone I miss him everyday. He never got to see my cabin. He would have loved it. His hobbies were building and woodworking. My cabin would be finished today if he was alive.
Dad at camp
Dad at camp

neb
# Posted: 16 Jun 2013 19:01

Thanks from all of you! My dad passed away about 4 years ago and miss him each day. My son gave me a call today and that made my day.
toyota_mdt_tech That is a great FD gift. I have always wanted one of those myself. Let me know what you find,

Just
# Posted: 16 Jun 2013 20:40 - Edited by: Just

We had grandkids , kids , a bond fire, with hotdogs and smores . and lots of fun at the camp tonight! a great fathers day ! zippppppppppppppppppp
zip
zip

Borrego
# Posted: 16 Jun 2013 22:19

Quoting: silverwaterlady
My Dad is gone I miss him everyday. He never got to see my cabin. He would have loved it.

Me too.... I had a great pops. I got to see both of my boys today and they are great! I guess life goes on.......

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 17 Jun 2013 06:05 - Edited by: OwenChristensen

My son was too far away, but my daughters had a picnic last night.
the girls
the girls
the grandkids
the grandkids
new baby
new baby

trollbridge
# Posted: 17 Jun 2013 21:29

Sounds like all of you had great days. Turns out our little Noelle was sick. She spiked her first fever as the afternoon wore on. No BBQ for us.

Owen,
Glad the weather cleared for your picnic. Is that little Monroe? She looks so much more chubby than the last picture you shared! She is such a doll! Beautiful daughters and all those grandkids swarming around their gramps look happy

TMT...my husband has always wanted a metal detector.....you'll have to report back on what treasures you find!

Just...wondering if you took a ride on that zip line?!??

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 17 Jun 2013 22:08

Yes, that's her. I don't see her often, but she sure seemed interested in me. It made me so happy.

trollbridge
# Posted: 17 Jun 2013 22:20

Yeah, she sure was checking you out. How sweet she is

Just
# Posted: 17 Jun 2013 22:38

yes trolly ,I built it so, I had to make sure it was safe before any grandchild tried it ,not sure my doctor would approve but ,you only go around once !!
I heard Owen had one so I had to catch up , great fun!!

razmichael
# Posted: 17 Jun 2013 22:53

My wife decided that my Fathers Day should be a boys weekend at the cabin! This had nothing to do with her having a peaceful weekend at home with nothing to do but relax and read - no not at all! I didn't get to work on anything at the cabin but we went kayaking, canoeing, hiking, discoverednew "secret places", swimming (they did) and just hung out.
Pre bed time reading on the deck
Pre bed time reading on the deck
A new secret place
A new secret place
A new swimmng hole
A new swimmng hole

hattie
# Posted: 17 Jun 2013 22:56

It was just after my Dad passed away that we decided to move up to our cabin for good. Dad died very suddenly and that was when we realized that life is just too short. You never know what tomorrow will bring. I miss him so much and I know he would have loved our place here!!

We spent last weekend visiting our kids in Vancouver. Country hillbillies visit big city. *LOL* It was a great weekend and Bob's daughter gave him some boxes that had belonged to his mother. Bob's ex-wife had recently sold their family home (which had belonged to his parents before them) and his daughter found the boxes in the basement before the ex-wife moved out. Anyway, we were up to midnight going through every single thing in those boxes. Bob had never seen them before. What a wonderful time we had as Bob remembered his parents and childhood!!! He found some airplanes he had built as a child and I asked him to hang them from the ceiling in our laundry room. They look great there!!

trollbridge
# Posted: 18 Jun 2013 15:50 - Edited by: trollbridge

Lol just...you are such a good grandpa! So..........would you do it again?

Raz.......your wife is so sweet I love the way her mind works...why,,,
, she is like my clone. Lol.
Nice secret discoveries! Beautiful.

Hattie........fantastic weekend it sounds like you had! Good to go to the city...but if you are anything like me, you sure are happy to be back home!

Just
# Posted: 18 Jun 2013 20:43

when we have younger company , I go down just to shame them into trying it. great fun

trollbridge
# Posted: 19 Jun 2013 23:01

Hahaha...that is funny, Just!!! I'll bet they love seeing grandpa doing it...way to go...they will always remember to stay young at heart

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 20 Jun 2013 07:36

I left my cable a bit saggy, too saggy for me , but not for a 100 lb. kid. If I tighten up the cable the kids won't slow down enough before the end. Maybe I'll build another, I'd love to ride the zip.

Just
# Posted: 20 Jun 2013 08:05

I put a 20 ft. bungee brake on mine .slows them down quite gently.

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 20 Jun 2013 18:42

How does it work?

Just
# Posted: 21 Jun 2013 07:55

20 ft of bungee attached to the wooden block ,and to a tree of to the side of the path .
brake
brake

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 21 Jun 2013 08:31

Nice idea. I like your trolley. Did you use ball bearings? Ours has been working good for a 200' ride near the ground. I'd like to build another only longer, higher. Maybe I could find a place to over the tree tops. Of course the they will need a harness then.

Just
# Posted: 21 Jun 2013 09:15

no ball bearings just brass bushings , seems fast enough , drops 9 ft. in .150 feet of cable . The brake stops a 200 lb. adult 5 ft. from the tree .

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 21 Jun 2013 10:50 - Edited by: OwenChristensen

Ok that's interesting. Ours really doesn't have more than a couple feet of drop between anchor points, but the sag in the cable gets them moving quite fast, then they start to rise again slows them down until they gently bump the clamp. The lighter kids don't quite touch it. Then they glide backwards for about twenty feet where the ground is close enough to climb off.
The ladder hanging from the pulley allows the heavier kids to climb a bit higher, then when it stops they climb down to the ground. I have the main cable high enough to keep anyone from getting their fingers in the pulley. Ouch!
zip line
zip line

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.