Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off Topic / How is your summer going?
tnky03
# Posted: 25 Jun 2013 16:17

Well, as we are now in the early days of summer how is everyone doing? I hope those of you who are at your cabins part time have lots of opportunities to visit. For those who are full time at your cabin home enjoy every moment of creating a life of peaceful days. What projects are you trying to complete? I so have enjoyed sharing ramblings with several members over the spring season. I am looking forward to getting the inside of our cabin home completed, hopefully within a month, then working on set up of our solar and rain catchment. Life is good!!!

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 25 Jun 2013 19:19

Hot, humid, wet, skeeters. It's all good. As much as I like these things, it's the beavers that tick me off. They have my only access trail flooded. I wreck the dam and with all the water flowing they have it back up overnight. Just weight 'til. I get my tractor loader down there.
Oh yeah, the green the green it so ..........green.

hattie
# Posted: 25 Jun 2013 22:28

We're getting lots and lots of rain here but the plants and veggies love it. Like OwenChristensen, lots of skeeters and blackflies but that's why we have bug spray right? June is our wettest month, so I'm looking forward to July when things dry out a bit.

I'm hoping to get lots of strawberry jam made and lots of preserves in the cold room. Our strawberries are plentiful and getting big. For the first time, it looks like our plum tree might be productive! YAY!!!

spencerin
# Posted: 26 Jun 2013 01:47 - Edited by: spencerin

Can't complain that we have had lots of rain, too, much better than last year. So, the small lake where my place is is and has been full. Also, I had a much smaller wood boring bee and squirrel chewing problem this year than last year.

On the flip side, I have been too busy with work, school, mediocre dates , and working at my place that I haven't really been able to enjoy it - no overnights yet this spring/summer, no real fishing, minimal company. Actually makes me kind of sad. But, my to do list does keep getting shorter! And I did discover that my chopper does okay on the gravel roads there, so that makes for even more enjoyable trips when I don't need to haul anything back and forth!

TheWildMan
# Posted: 26 Jun 2013 07:58

wet, very wet, the crops were stunted by excessive rain and we had flooding worse than ever recorded with houses underwater. a deer defoliated my apple trees (but i ate the deer), a murder of crows ripped through the corn (but i ate the crows, little lime size chicken breasts), a herd of woodchucks ate my beans and peas (i ate the woodchucks and nailed their pelts to the wall), turkeys ate my onions and garlic and cabbage (i ate the turkeys), and a lot of slugs destroyed everything else (ok i did not eat the slugs). vegatables are low on the diet but meat is plentiful.

Grandma Off Grid
# Posted: 26 Jun 2013 08:51

Wet here too storms every day. garden doing good and of course to do list ever present..
Got a good bit done but as you all know it goes on and on lol
next project is to finish back deck stairs.
apple trees loaded. this is first real year for them producing.
i cant remember what kind they are except they are red and semi dwarf..

tnky03
# Posted: 26 Jun 2013 14:55

We are to have rain and thunderstorms the next 24 hrs. or so. I am glad for the regular rains we've been having as they keep things growing in the garden. Wildman it sounds like you have had quite a busy season for hunting, lol. I planted several lilac bushes along our lane this week and finished mulching them today. Our little place is looking so "homey" with all the flowering bushes, vegetable and flower gardens and I am so much enjoying every day. This is my hubby's last week of 35hr. and next will be back to 20. I am so glad. The extra income has been great but it has made progress on the cabin go more slowly. It has been such an encouragement to follow the progress of others here who are making dreams a reality in their cabins. Grandma Off Grid, I am missing your stories and hope to read more of them soon.
my small lilac bushes, hope they all make it
my small lilac bushes, hope they all make it

MJW
# Posted: 26 Jun 2013 14:58

Going well so far but a little too hot right now for my tastes.

Been clearing more "front yard" area around our place. Already burned up 2 weedeaters...working on my third. Dropped a few ugly/broken/damaged trees and added to the firewood pile.

Built one firewood rack out of pallets and split the wood to fill it, picked up another 4 pallets to build another when I get the time.

Took the crew out to a local strawberry farm and picked 20 lbs of berries. The wife made 8 pints of jam and 6 qts of frozen strawberries for ice cream later.

Forecasted high today of 98 degrees.

tnky03
# Posted: 26 Jun 2013 15:10

Quoting: MJW
6 qts of frozen strawberries for ice cream later.

Yum, nothing better than fresh strawberry ice cream!

TheWildMan
# Posted: 26 Jun 2013 15:21

i should also mention the large number of tourists, camp shoppers and land speculators who keep wandering into my place. my place is not easy to get into, its a rough trail to get in on and i baracaded it with logs and no tresspassing signs so only people on foot can get past that point. i keep getting russian and german tourists walking in asking me about my place. rick local business owners walking in asking to buy the place for their vacation home/camp. and a few land speculators asking to buy it so they can resell it for a profit. they all started getting really bothersome, a couple years ago it was an overgrown acreage of unhealthy trees, rock piles, debris and 60 year old landfill (town garbage). it was for sale for a decade before i bought it for next to nothing and worked every waking hour to turn it into a self sufficent farm (living like a refugee with ptsd and wanting nothing to do with people anymore). i finally get things running smooth and these jerks keep showing up asking to buy it after climbing over baracades and passing keep out and no tresspassing signs. i put up a big sign saying tresspassers will be violated and hung a banjo off it, i hope that decreses the number of people wandering in to bother me.

hattie
# Posted: 26 Jun 2013 16:39

Quoting: TheWildMan
wet, very wet, the crops were stunted by excessive rain and we had flooding worse than ever recorded with houses underwater. a deer defoliated my apple trees (but i ate the deer), a murder of crows ripped through the corn (but i ate the crows, little lime size chicken breasts), a herd of woodchucks ate my beans and peas (i ate the woodchucks and nailed their pelts to the wall), turkeys ate my onions and garlic and cabbage (i ate the turkeys), and a lot of slugs destroyed everything else (ok i did not eat the slugs). vegatables are low on the diet but meat is plentiful.

*ROTFL*

trollbridge
# Posted: 26 Jun 2013 18:55 - Edited by: trollbridge

Same with Hattie!
Thanks for the laugh,Wildman!

Spencerin......mediocre dates?! Lol...I guess it is better than no dates How have you been doing on that front? I've thought of you, and wondered how you were getting along.

Wet, wet and more wet here ,too!

spencerin
# Posted: 27 Jun 2013 00:49

trollbridge,

Never, ever thought I'd be where I am now 3 months ago.

Grandma Off Grid
# Posted: 27 Jun 2013 07:00

Dang Wildman that's crazy. do you have dogs?
That's just nuts. what the heck is wrong with these people?

I used to have people come to the door and walk right in here. thinking it was still a business even though it was obviously a private home. I was getting dressed one day and a woman just walked in the door. I had to grab the towel. she wanted to know if we still sold ice?

Grandma Off Grid
# Posted: 27 Jun 2013 07:20

At the thrift store yesterday for $1.50 I got two fondue thingies. tried one just put small water wad of toilet paper and a little heet and lit it. it burn for a long time so I was able easily to heat water and food very quickly.
So much rain everyday Big storms. but the garden is really really growing! everything that I planted is coming up spectacular except for the weeds which I didn't plant they're coming up good too haha.
The only thing that didn't do well is the beans.
About a year ago I had a big stack of wood on each side of the front porch.
Somebody just backed up their truck and help themselves When I wasn't here one day.
I put up no trespassing signs. a few days later half the wood was gone. I wouldn't have cared if it was a family that really needed it for heat. but apparently it was just somebody camping out and saw some would they wanted. wasnt anyone local. never happened again.
I had one of the young amish boys go help me gather firewood one day. he loaded the entire back of the truck about 3 feet above it with wood.
The deal was I would use the truck to get the wood .
He would help to gather and unload it.. transport of course. and he got to keep half the wood.
He was 13 years old at the time. a little skinny guy.
But he worked Like five grown men And whistled and was happy and chattered A lot while we were working.

Not long after that Took him up to the Flea Mart. he saw a harmonica he wanted for $3. look in his wallet to pay for it. then smiled and said no I need that for a part on the wagon. put the money back in his wallet.

I got the harmonica and wrapped it for his birthday.
He was so tickled to get it.

What has happened to our kids today?

Once he came over to use the phone because they're ride was late. he was all dressed up in his Sunday best.
It was getting frustrated had to make several calls And finally Flipped back his straw hat like a girl would flip her hair.. and exclaimed " whatever!"..
Lol

Grandma Off Grid
# Posted: 27 Jun 2013 07:26

Sorry about typos. just gave you a little story did not want to derail this thread with them as I want to hear what everyone else has to say about their summer activities.

trollbridge
# Posted: 27 Jun 2013 15:34

Quoting: spencerin
trollbridge,

Never, ever thought I'd be where I am now 3 months ago

Yay! That is GREAT to hear! There is somebody far more deserving of you out there

Grandma Off Grid
# Posted: 28 Jun 2013 13:01 - Edited by: Grandma Off Grid

Okay chickens are laying everyday. 3 eggs a day or so.
They lay an egg on average every 20 hours. this is more than enough for me.
Yes the garden is really going everything is growing beautifully Which is always a shock to me Haha

today i re planted the lilies. more soil and mulch around onions and potatoes. general cleaning.
Got the light pole in the ground its just a heavy metal pole with a holder on it for a light outside. also the hanger thing over the little outdoor grill. that's to hold the pot or kettle over the fire.

I might have to put some heavy sticks around my apple trees to hold up the branches I'm afraid they will break as the apples get bigger.

a neighbor told me how to fix the deck stairs. go to Lowes or wherever and get deck hangers for the deck. this is much easier than crawling under.
Hang on one of the chickens is caught be right back
20130628_13.19.37..jpg
20130628_13.19.37..jpg
20130628_13.18.22..jpg
20130628_13.18.22..jpg
20130628_13.18.01..jpg
20130628_13.18.01..jpg

Grandma Off Grid
# Posted: 28 Jun 2013 13:16

Chicken stuck behind the barn. was yelling crazy thought it was being attacked she was being attacked. she was just scared. the duck watches over the chickens and was demanding that I do something now!
Got her back in Now clean up and go run some errands.

tnky03
# Posted: 29 Jun 2013 19:40

Well, today when we should have been working on the cabin we were out buying guineas and Barred Rock chickens. They are happily playing in their temporary pen in our yard. I guess along with finishing the cabin now we'll need to build a chicken coop, lol. I'm hoping the guineas will grow to be champion tick eaters and that the chicks by winter will provide us with fresh eggs. Now I just need a couple of bottle calves and a couple baby pigs...
IMAG1018.jpg
IMAG1018.jpg
IMAG1016.jpg
IMAG1016.jpg

Borrego
# Posted: 29 Jun 2013 22:30

We cannot go out to our desert paradise right now... it is 120 degrees plus and if your car were to break down, you're dead. So at home, we are raising chickens, and enjoying the summer......

Grandma Off Grid
# Posted: 30 Jun 2013 06:17

Too cute on the birds! Oh My a bottle calf and pigs.
You are really going to be busy lol!

120 degrees oh wow..i know its a dry heat but still..
Its still 120 degrees!

cabingal3
# Posted: 30 Jun 2013 10:13

hot weather here but not 120.whew.
i am all dark from being outside.
son getting married july 4th.got to go.sure hate getting fancy on a hot hot day.think of the bride though!hot dress ,hot day.
the next day we head to our woods.now we are talking.thats more like it.wishing all a wonderful summer.hugs cabi!

Grandma Off Grid
# Posted: 30 Jun 2013 12:30

Oh wow many congratulations!!!!

We will all expect a full report and pictures!

cabingal3
# Posted: 30 Jun 2013 12:38

eggs.and pigs and calves.wow.will sure love to hear of this adventure and u all are sure getting alot of eggs.
everyone stay cool.drink lots of liquids.thats some mighty hot temps.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.