Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off Topic / what kind of boat do I want
WY_mark
# Posted: 25 Aug 2013 18:57

Hey everyone!
a non-construction question for you. our place is near a great big lake and we keep wishing we had a boat. we don't have a trailer or storage for anything rigid, but I'm seeing a zillion inflatable options. We'd like to go paddle along the shore and generally goof around, nothing serious, no expeditions. The lake does have a pretty frequent breeze and often more wind than breeze so there's usually a wave pattern.
I have zero experience, do you think a canoe/kayak or more of a traditional river raft would be better for a total novice? I like the idea of getting moving in a kayak and getting some exercise out of the drill, but I also want something stable. it's just the two of us and maybe a 40lb dog passenger.
thanks for the thoughts!
Mark

Martian
# Posted: 25 Aug 2013 19:19 - Edited by: Martian

I have an 8'6" Puffin rowing dinghy that would be perfect for what you say you want to do. It is fiberglass, unsinkable, stable, rows like a champ, and weighs about 85 lbs. It was my car for several years and carried myself, my mate, and our 90 lb German Sheppard and several bags of groceries back and forth to shore. Sometimes, I'd row a mile to work in all kinds of weather. That boat works well if you have waves. Its very safe and stable.

Here's the link:
http://www.puffindinghy.com/

They aren't cheap.
http://store.hamiltonmarine.com/search.htm

WY_mark
# Posted: 25 Aug 2013 20:21

Cool, thanks. We are 2 miles from shore so I'm really eyeing inflatable options.

Martian
# Posted: 25 Aug 2013 20:46

If you plan on rowing it, forget it! I've owned Zodiacs, Avons, and Achilles. None of the row worth a darn. The wind will blow the boat pretty much wherever it wants. But, its your choice.

Tom

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 25 Aug 2013 20:46 - Edited by: toyota_mdt_tech

Get an aluminum boat, 10-12 feet long. Smokercraft is my favorite. Flat bottom hull is great, but a V hull works too. Mine was V hull. We lived on a lake growing up for years. The aluminum was always so light, easy to move around, the aluminum didnt wear through from dragging it up on the shore where a fiberglass one would wear through. Light an easy to row, drag it up on shore, flip it over for storage. Run a chain through the nose handle and lock it to a tree, store oars etc under the upside down boat.

Went to the website, found a 12 foot Jon boat, flat hull, green in color, so would not stand out as its left at your beach.

http://www.smokercraft.com/showroom/jon-boats/jon/1232

naturelover66
# Posted: 26 Aug 2013 07:23

Inflatable kayaks. Easy to transport, cheap amd really fun!

Lisa

silverwaterlady
# Posted: 26 Aug 2013 08:35 - Edited by: silverwaterlady

Inflatables are great. Since you are on a windy lake I would not get one because they can be blown/flipped over. It happened to my husband on a windy lake in a six man Zodiac. A canoe or kayak are not good choices because they are unstable.

An aluminum boat with a deep V hull (less getting wet) and a outboard is your best choice. And some safe boating classes.

bldginsp
# Posted: 26 Aug 2013 09:08

I've had an old aluminum canoe for many years. Will last forever, and can carry a lot of material, unlike plastic kayaks. I like the way a light canoe glides......

scout100
# Posted: 6 Nov 2013 20:37

I have a super snark sailboat.. I love that boat.. Its like 50 lbs and can go right on the roof of my car or in my hatchback.. I can paddle it around like a canone with the lightweight sail right in the hull.. If, I get tired, I put the sail in and sail it back.. Best part, I bought it used off craigslist for $50 cash.. LOTS OF FUN

TheWildMan
# Posted: 7 Nov 2013 08:06

your best bet is a canoe, they were good enough to travel the great lakes with heavy cargo loads so they should be fine in a smaller lake (your lake is a lot smaller than the great lakes). you can get a basic recreational type canoe made of plastic/Kevlar for a couple hundred bucks and they can take a lot of bumps. they are light enough one man can carry them one handed. they can be used in the shallowest water and even a 14 foot canoe can carry 2 adults and a big dog (and can move a couple hundred pounds of cargo). you can use a rope and those foam blocks they make for canoes and carry it on any car.

I did a lot of canoing on small creeks and larger rivers and a number of bigger lakes and beaver ponds, good way to get to fishing spots other boats cant reach.

I had a couple inflatables in the past. unless you go with a very expensive one they are not worth the effort, a canoe is much better for the money (more versatile in what you can use it for and a used one can often be had for under $200)

I don't recommend a john boat or a metal row boat unless you can use a trailer or a truck. they are easier to run a motor on but that's about the only thing they got over a canoe.

beachman
# Posted: 7 Nov 2013 10:11

I would go with a 14ft aluminum boat with a 10-15 HP outboard if you want to do any serious lake excursions and keep (relatively) dry. Put in oars, a bailer and an anchor and go for a rip. The only way to learn is to go out (with a lifevest) and do manuevers in some rough weather to get the feel of it. Canoes and kayacs are great but take a little effort to get around. An aluminum boat will eventually wear out from pulls up the beach - but should last 30 years or so.

TheWildMan
# Posted: 7 Nov 2013 11:34

another thing to consider: do you have a boating license? some states such as the wanna-be totalitarian police state of NY require you to take classes and have a license to operate any boat with a motor on it. the "theory" behind it is to make sure everyone using a boat has state approved training in its operation. but really they just ant the revenue from fines imposed on people boating without a license. because non power boats are generally very small and many can be made at home they do not require a license to use a non motor boat (yet). canoes, row boats, and small sail boats are the only thing you can use in NY unless you get a license or risk getting a ticket. I don't know if they include sailing ships but very few people have them now anyway.

hueyjazz
# Posted: 7 Nov 2013 12:35

Part of this discussion is what do you consider stable. Modern kayaks are a lot more stable than the ones of old. The most unstable part of canoes and kayaks is getting in and out of them. Once you are in them they have a very low center of gravity and they are very stable.
With a kayak you can go just about anywhere with little effort and they are fairly easy to carry. The more money you spend on them the lighter they get. I find the money better spent on a good paddle that is light as this is the operation you repeat thousands of times. Do you have to carry these the full two miles? For either a canoe or a kayak they make carts that are basically bike wheels on a tube frame that allows you to strap to one end and you pull from the other.
A canoe would work better for a dog as long as the dog stays put but most canoes have you sitting on a seat mounted across the gunnels. This raises your center of gravity and makes you less stable. With blow up I've always found them to be a compromise. They take more effort to move and at some point they will leak. I've own big boats, little boats, a canoe and kayaks.
I enjoy the kayaks the most for being with nature. I find they take the least amount of effort to paddle, are silent and can go in water that is very shallow. If you don't find this to be the case then you are doing something wrong. It's all a matter of getting your stroke into a nice rhythm that is match to you and your ability. Common mistake is paddle, paddle, paddle. It's more paddle, glide, paddle built into your stroke. I find many people make the same mistake cross county skiing. It's kick then glide. Not kick, kick, kick

TheCabinCalls
# Posted: 7 Nov 2013 13:26

Questions:

- 2 Miles from shore; are you walking or driving there?
- if you are driving then a canoe, kayak, small jon boat or inflatable
- if you are walking a kayak or inflatable is doable, or a light canoe

- Do the two of you and your dog want to be in the same boat or different boats?

- Do you see yourself using it by yourself? One think I notice using a canoe alone is it tracks well until a gust of wind comes then I am blown about...You'll want weight on the opposite end as you.

- Storage; do you have a risk of theft? most aluminum, plastic or fiberglass will store outside upside down. A kayak is easy to drag inside before you leave.

The disadvantage of a kayak is you'll most likely need two and they sit very low to the water. I recommend trying one out to make sure you feel comfortable. With a canoe and kayak you can put in the water just about any where.

Salty Craig
# Posted: 25 Nov 2013 18:04

I bought this one in North Carolina on Saturday. I like um big.
21 footer
21 footer

davestreck
# Posted: 25 Nov 2013 19:22 - Edited by: davestreck

Beetle Cat

12'4" LOA, draws next to nothing with the board up, simple enough for a 10 year old to sail, free fuel and soooo pretty

Find a used one cheap and fix it up.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.