Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off Topic / ladies
. 1 . 2 . >>
cabingal3
# Posted: 5 Jan 2014 02:01

I was at a survival group and oh my goodness.
the women on that group were telling all their skills.
some can doing electrical wiring and sheet rocking and can use all tools.
I felt pretty lame after reading all that.
what skills do can u do?
I am pretty traditional I think.
I hate power tools.they are so scary to me.
I do like gars power drill.
mostly I am a runner for gar.get this or go get that.
I cook and keep the cabin clean.
what about u?

silverwaterlady
# Posted: 5 Jan 2014 09:24 - Edited by: silverwaterlady

I can drive a semi. I have over 1,500,000 safe driving miles and no preventables for 12 years.
I think you would like power tools if you learned how to safely use them. They make a job easier.
DH was a sign painter long ago. I learned how to paint hand lettered signs.

There are things I'm not going to do that require training like electrical work for instance. That is something that will get you killed if you make a mistake.
I do not like drywall. I love wet plaster. If I was going to build I would learn that technique.
I have done small home repairs in the past. Home Depot sells a really good book that will help you make repairs with step by step directions. Now that I am on the road I just don't have the energy or time to do work around the house. So a handyman is called.

naturelover66
# Posted: 5 Jan 2014 10:57

A survival group Cabi? Those people just irritate me.

I can use power tools.... ive helped lay drywall and mud , sand etc. No biggie. You could do it. The only thing i dont do is heights.

I love working outside..... growing plants, food, trees... whatever.
I can treat sick animals and suture a wound in nothin flat.. ... using sterile techniques ofcourse. 20 years in vet medicine taught me how to handle emergencies . I would have no problem sewing someone up if there were no medical facilities nearby.

Electrical stuff? I would read, learn and do it.

I think people in general are pretty tough.... You can do anything you want to do.

cabingal3
# Posted: 5 Jan 2014 13:47

naturelover66...I so enjoy the survivalist group I am in.i don't say much but I get such a kick out of the people on it.they talk about everything like why do women show cleavage at church.then all the men reply.i never laughed so much ever...but I am from the old south.too much of a lady to even tell off colored jokes in mixed company.
then there is a womans section where the men are not allowed.one man said oops.i peeked into the womans section.
then there is always well.2013 did not end so they go onto some other doomsday date.i really enjoy it.i am not just laughing at them I learn a lot too as they have off the grid info and gardening.its a great group.
well I feel happy with what I can do.i was just pretty amazed and wondered if the ladies on here were so accomplished too in doing a lot of the building at their cabins.
silverwaterlady.amazing!

Truecabin
# Posted: 5 Jan 2014 13:50

Quoting: naturelover66
I think people in general are pretty tough....

you are right nature unless there are complainers around then people become become tough complainers

silverwaterlady
# Posted: 5 Jan 2014 15:00 - Edited by: silverwaterlady

Cabingal3 I also find that site very entertaining and I have learned quite a lot. I am not a doomsday prepper. I like to be prepared. I suppose we all do since many of us are off grid and remote and we know that if we are not prepared we are going to be doing without.

You also can do a lot of things I would love to do like crochet and can. I really love the rug you made too.

cabingal3
# Posted: 5 Jan 2014 15:21

Hi gal...silverwaterlady.hee hee.that site just cracks me up.i am not a doomsday prepper either but as u say-I too like to know how to store my things at the cabin like my canned foods or how to do this or that.
they usually go back to a lot of old fashioned ways.i am into that.
thank u about my rug.

SandyR
# Posted: 5 Jan 2014 18:00 - Edited by: SandyR

Hmmmm....

I can sew, crochet, knit, quilt, can, stand on my head for over an hour straight, bake, stretch a dollar like nobody's business, clean, give good haircuts, I am a first aid responder, I can farm and fish, I am a very good snowboarder, teacher, and breastfeeding class instructor.

I have also renovated a 1850 farmhouse and turned it into a cabin-like home half off the grid. My husband did the electrical work. I hung my own drywall, taped, mudded, and sanded the entire house. Ugh. I will never. do. that. again.

BaconCreek
# Posted: 5 Jan 2014 19:26

I use to make a living selling hand woven baskets to artisan galleries and museum gift shops, etc...I also sold baskets at juried craft fairs.
People don't buy expensive hand woven baskets like they use to so now I am back in the classroom teaching art to elementary school children.

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 5 Jan 2014 21:10

I run a broom/mop/vacuum /dishwasher / iron/washing machine /dryer /fold clothes/run a stove & oven and cook home cooked meals....can/freeze veggies/make jelly...

and still run power tools or tractors/ and equipment....

OPPS....I thought you said "womins work"...LOL
LOL.....I should be not allowed to post on this thread~~sorry ladies... ...JK

silverwaterlady
# Posted: 5 Jan 2014 21:26

cabingal3
# Posted: 5 Jan 2014 22:07

funny turkeyhunter.hee hee.

cabingal3
# Posted: 6 Jan 2014 07:12

I can use that power drill,i have use the air staple gun .those I really like to use.

tnky03
# Posted: 6 Jan 2014 20:03

I love building things with wood and can use a skill saw, miter saw, table saw, drill and a light weight chain saw, lol. I, too have hung, mudded, taped and sanded drywall and HATE it. I do a bit of sewing and like to crochet rugs. I love to garden and can and am interested in food storage methods. Since we live off-grid I am interested in survival ideas but am not a prepper, at least in that sense of the word. We could get by quite a while if need be. As a retired ER nurse I can function ok in emergency situations and could probably suture if I had too but prefer not, lol. Nice to hear from you other ladies here. Hope everyone is keeping warm.

cabingal3
# Posted: 9 Jan 2014 20:25

tnky03-u are amazing .this is for sure.
I am interested in off the grid and survival ideas too but I am a tiny bit of a prepper.just in the sense of purchasing things we can use out at the cabin for cheaply.
that's what I am talking about when u say -"u could get by quite a while if need be".
we seem to be in fall like weather here in Portland,oregon right now.ew.we have buds on our blueberry bushes.sort of odd.
hope the other ladies share what they can do too.

hattie
# Posted: 10 Jan 2014 12:42

Well I'm certainly not as talented as many of the ladies here. Bob, can build, rebuild, and repair pretty much anything.

I garden, can, bake, cook, and dehydrate foods. I can use a defibrillator pretty well as was seen when Bob had his cardiac arrest. *smile* Bob is always cutting himself, so now I'm really good with steri strips. One day Bob cut off a huge chunk of the skin on his thumb. I cleaned it all up and steri stripped it back into place. A few days later, his son (who is a nurse) was visiting. He didn't think the skin would reattach but it did. When we saw him months after, he wanted to have a look. He was amazed and said, "well congratulations. You successfully did a skin graft." *LOL* That was kind of neat!

I think my best skill is being organized. I keep a list of all the food we have in the freezer and make sure food is replaced as needed. I keep on top of when things need doing and always have spares of everything we own here. In January, I go through our medical supplies and replace everything that is out of date. That is important when you don't live near a store. I always say I have my own store in the back room.

cabingal3
# Posted: 11 Jan 2014 18:27

hattie-I am more like u.
more into the homemaking end.cooking and drying foods and cooking and baking.
I saw your panty.wow.I love seeing it.its wonderful.u do have good organizational skills!
hopefully u wont have to use the defibrillator any more...
lol.u do have your own store in your back room.its wonderful...

SandyR
# Posted: 11 Jan 2014 19:17

Hattie, I can use an epi-pen! I have never used a defibrillator though!

I would/could probably do a lot more if my husband didn't do as much as he does. I would have to be forced to learn to do more things.

tnky03
# Posted: 14 Jan 2014 12:00

Hattie, you'd be the type person that would be good to have around in a real "survivalist" situation! I wish I was better at being organized. There are some very talented gals on here it seems. I've always seen myself more as a "jack (jill) of all trades, master of none" type. LOL.

hattie
# Posted: 15 Jan 2014 21:09

Thanks tnky03.

I can't believe how many skilled women there are on this forum.

trollbridge
# Posted: 16 Jan 2014 17:57 - Edited by: trollbridge

Hi ladies!
Like all of you, I can do the "girl" stuff, and I can certainly do the "mom" stuff. I can use yard tools, power tools and yes, have used my fair share of duct tape, too I have NOT drove a semi, but boy, would I LOVE to learn to do that Driving a bulldozer would also be a serious blast!

I am proud to say that today I learned how to run a 45 year old (translates to HEAVY a** chunk of metal) snowblower!!!

It wasn't pretty..............and I certainly hope no neighbors were watching........but 30 minutes with that beast and the 10+ inches of snow that covered my driveway were gone. Poof! That beats 3+ hours of dancing with a snow shovel any day

I, personally, was covered in snow and freezing dang cold......but I wore a smile on my face for conquering that little feat!

Now I will say, "Bring it!" when the weatherman speaks of another 1 to 3" of snow (we all know they seem to be wrong, more than they are right ) and I know that I can handle the next couple inch "dumping", no problem WooHoo!!!!!!

silverwaterlady
# Posted: 17 Jan 2014 20:24 - Edited by: silverwaterlady

Hi TB it sure feels good to learn something new.

Before I started my truck driving career I loved cooking,baking and canning. I did a lot of baking during the Christmas season. I made 4 fruitcakes at 6 pounds each. I baked them after Thanksgiving and aged them with liquor soaked cheese cloth. I also baked 100's of dozens of cookies and gave them as gifts. My house was my families gathering place for birthdays and holidays. I cooked elaborate dinners from scratch for these celebrations.

I also gardened and canned. I had the nicest flower gardens in my neighborhood according to my neighbors. Now I'm away from home for work,my parents have passed and my siblings have moved so things are pretty quiet at home. It's kind of sad but I have learned to adjust because I know that nothing stays the same forever.

One think I know is this: I am not cut out for the life as a OTR trucker. It's hard,it's a harsh lifestyle. I'm good at it I just don't like it. But if I want my cabin to get finished I have to keep on trucking. LOL.

I look forward to the day I can grow a garden and bake,cook and not be so stressed out and tired. I also would love to learn to make loomed rugs,rag rugs and quilts like my Grandma did.

DH played hockey so I have used those strips to put him back together again. LOL. The last game he played he took a puck to the forehead. You know how head wounds bleed! It was a scary gaping wound,sure to scar. I took care of that. And also got the newest invention from the pharmacy. It was a moist silicone patch that if applied a certain period of time per day would eliminate a scar. It worked and there is no scar.

trollbridge
# Posted: 18 Jan 2014 11:25

Quoting: silverwaterlady
Hi TB it sure feels good to learn something new.

You can sure say that again!!!!!
Wow, your life now (driving truck) is drastically different, isn't it? It would be nice to see the country but I can understand how it would be difficult to be away from home

I cringe hearing about the puck to the head.....but those hockey players are tough! I will bet he enjoyed having you to patch him up....and with such love using the strips of cloth meant for homespun quilts.

Sitting watching the snow fall again this morning and wondering if I will have to break out the snowblower again I am listening to ABBA greatest hits cd and eating my french toast and bacon. Ya just can't listen to ABBA without wanting to get up and move! It is a great way to work out the achy, stiff muscles and to make ya happy

Hope ya all have a super Saturday

Voulez-Vous is playing now....what does that mean???! Google, here I come!

trollbridge
# Posted: 18 Jan 2014 11:38

BTW.....Voulez-Vous means "Would you like"...........now we know..........................

nicalisa
# Posted: 18 Jan 2014 12:12

Hi there ladies,
Have been missing you all on this forum! Have had a heck of a year for sure. Haven't been up to the cabin since October as I have had some health things creep up. Just finished another surgery yesterday, which will hopefully be the end of it. We are hoping to get up in February depending on what my treatments will be (biopsy yesterday will determine those next steps so keeping fingers crossed!) can't wait to get back up to the little house and breathe! I hope that you all had a wonderful holiday and new year! Hugs to you all!

nicalisa
# Posted: 18 Jan 2014 12:15

Ps, I think what I am best at is making lists! Which is helpful when you have to boat to the cabin and it is a pain in the butt to forget something! I am also good with tile work....and I love to do it...

My lovely hubby is not as happy about my list making ability but loves my tiling ability....mostly because then tiling isn't on his list.....but lots of other things are!

hattie
# Posted: 18 Jan 2014 23:50

nicalisa - I am so sorry to hear you have been ill. Please keep us posted how you are doing!

Quoting: nicalisa
I think what I am best at is making lists!

Making lists is one of my favourite things to do. Drives Bob CRAZY!!! Sometimes I have lists for my lists. I'd say I was OCD, but in my world it is CDO (alphabetical order you know).

trollbridge
# Posted: 19 Jan 2014 10:06

Nicalisa, I am also sorry to hear you have been ill. STRESSFUL!!! I hope you can find time to get to your wonderful happy place just as soon as you can. I am sure your cabin misses you too!

I too, function best with a list. My problem is that I frequently go to consult my list and then can't find it! Grrrrrrrr.
Quoting: hattie
I'd say I was OCD, but in my world it is CDO

tnky03
# Posted: 19 Jan 2014 17:33

Nicalisa, I too, am sorry to hear of your health problems. Prayers for a good report. Oh I am a person who gets very little accomplished without a list. My BIG problem though is forgetting to check the list after I've made one, pretty sad huh? One of the many joys of aging, right up there with aching joints, LOL!

KSalzwedel
# Posted: 18 Mar 2014 01:10

Let's see. I can drywall, tile, stain and paint, use most hand tools, plumbing fixtures,and decorate. I am really good at demo! Well, I was before I hurt my back. Now I am a good supervisor

. 1 . 2 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.