Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off Topic / Need your honest opinion (wood carving)
neb
# Posted: 1 Feb 2014 20:52

I started a carving and got some of it done but a long away to go. I want to know if you think it looks like a mountian lion? I did some color pencil on it to give it some color so I could decide if it looks like a lion.

Just
# Posted: 1 Feb 2014 21:43

looks good neb , wish I had been around when they were giving out talent , use your gift neb we enjoy seeing it..

neb
# Posted: 1 Feb 2014 22:57

Thanks Just. At least you think is it close because my wife thinks it doesn't. LOL I will do some more carving on it and see what it looks like.
I hope you are doing fine and getting stronger everyday day Just.

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 2 Feb 2014 07:04 - Edited by: turkeyhunter

Neb~~looks good Bro!!! Carved any turkeys or a MOOSE yet???....HINT...

naturelover66
# Posted: 2 Feb 2014 09:03

I See a Mountain Lion. I like it. I get first dibs TH !! A moose.... a bear...... bird.... whatever.

PatrickH
# Posted: 2 Feb 2014 09:12

Looks like a bear I asked my wife what it was without telling here what it was suppose to be and she said bear also whatever thats worth to you.

neb
# Posted: 2 Feb 2014 09:52 - Edited by: neb

Ok. My wife says it looks more bear also that is why I ask. I did some more carving on it and we will see what it is going to be. Thanks

rmak
# Posted: 2 Feb 2014 11:12 - Edited by: rmak

I'm mostly a landscape painter and I do woodcut prints. But I've done a lot of wood and stone carving back when my hands worked right. I'd say it's a pretty good job. You are working in what they call "relief" or "bas-relief" kind of sculpture. It's very difficult to get right because you are not working really three dimensionally. You are removing just the material you need to make an image pop.
It looks like you do other carving from the photo. If you are really going for a more exact likeness I'd recommend getting some photos of a full face and side view image and working in clay first. If you make that mockup more or less to scale you could use calipers to transfer some of the more important dimensions and planes to the carving. Removing clay is a lot easier and quicker. If you make a mistake you can reverse and put the clay back on.
However, this is only if you are going for a more realistic look. You have a real nice "folk art" feeling going. "Primitive" work like this sells and in my opinion is sometimes better than exact realistic sculpture.
The important thing is to keep carving and don't fret or rework something to the point of taking the joy out of it.

jaransont3
# Posted: 2 Feb 2014 11:25

Jill and I both see a bear at first glance. The head is a little too round and jowly....maybe the ears could be a little more triangular. The roundness makes me see bear.

Nice work overall...keep it up and keep working on it.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 2 Feb 2014 13:26 - Edited by: toyota_mdt_tech

Hey Neb, I recognize Chumlee from Pawn Stars on your TV in the background.

neb
# Posted: 2 Feb 2014 15:37

Thanks that is what I wanted to hear. It will look like a mountain lion as I keep carving away.

TH no turkeys or moose yet. First animal I ever have done.

rmak You made a great comment don't fret over not looking exactly right. I started messing around with carving in July of 2012. I haven't done anything for about 5 month's now. Winter gets long and I can't just sit. I do appreciate your post and maybe you could share a few f the things you do.

I will post a progress picture later and see what you guys thing if it is getting closer to a lion look. LOL

rmak
# Posted: 2 Feb 2014 17:26

Thanks neb! Keep at it. Here's a painting folks here might like. Thanks for your interest.

neb
# Posted: 2 Feb 2014 17:34 - Edited by: neb

rmak That is very nice!!! Do you do it for a living or is a hobby for you. I really like it. I really can't even draw a stickman. I just start and imagine what I want to do and go from what I have in mind to carve. I did a little work again on the carving I'm still not done have to do the eyes and mouth yet. Does it still look like a bear??? My wife says it does. LOL well I have never done an animal before so I'm sure it will take time do one.

Thanks

toyota_mdt_tech Yep old dumb dumb is a hoot!!

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 2 Feb 2014 19:46

its a CAT...not a bear!!!! LOL
looks better now!!! GOOD JOB!!!!!

not get to carving a MOOSE!!!!

neb
# Posted: 2 Feb 2014 20:37

TH I'll keep a cutting away we will see when I'm done. U heading north yet?? My computer is on blink so using the phone. Might not be on the site for awhile.

creeky
# Posted: 2 Feb 2014 22:26

nice work neb. looks like a mountain lion to me.
rmak. i like the light on the barn. really captures the dawn.

neb
# Posted: 4 Feb 2014 22:31

Ok I have done some more work. Not done yet but is it starting to look more like a mountian lion.

ErinsMom
# Posted: 5 Feb 2014 05:20

Looks great. Cat family for sure!

hattie
# Posted: 5 Feb 2014 20:52

You are so talented. It looks like a cat to me! Great work!!!

neb
# Posted: 5 Feb 2014 22:06

I think I will call it done. Cat or no cat! LOL Thanks everyone

neb
# Posted: 20 Feb 2014 21:05

Well it is a bobcat and I know it may look like a lot of differant animals but that is what it is. I will be giving for a charity so I needed the help. Thanks

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.