Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off Topic / Looking for Ponderosa Pine Logs
joyce
# Posted: 12 Feb 2014 20:51

I found it so hard to find a Ponderosa Log seller that ship overseas.
Need 40,000 cubic meters of Ponderosa Pine Logs.
Ship to Xiamen, China.
Anyone?

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 12 Feb 2014 20:59

WOW~~~USofA exporting to China...are these logs coming back to us by way of Walmart Lincoln logs

joyce
# Posted: 12 Feb 2014 21:11

Haha! Good one, turkeyhunter
Very likely..

Nirky
# Posted: 13 Feb 2014 00:27

I'd love to help you but my minimum sale volume is 250,000 m3.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 13 Feb 2014 01:10

My 20 acres and soon to be 40 acres is full of Ponderosa pine trees, but none for harvesting. They only live in certain areas, drier climates, elevation from around 2000-4000 feet.

joyce
# Posted: 13 Feb 2014 01:13

@Nirky
oh?
what's the price you could offer me?
30cm dia, 3.6-3.8m and 5.4-6m length

joyce
# Posted: 13 Feb 2014 01:21 - Edited by: joyce

@toyota_mdt_tech
Amazing. Sounds beautiful : )

joyce
# Posted: 13 Feb 2014 02:04

@Nirky
My demand could up to 500,000m3/year

MtnDon
# Posted: 13 Feb 2014 02:04 - Edited by: MtnDon

Quoting: toyota_mdt_tech
elevation from around 2000-4000 feet.

that's not a hard and fast rule.... depends on the latitude too. 8800 feet and 90% ponderosa here in NM.... extends up to close to 10000 feet within 4 - 5 miles of us at 8800

I've seen video of logs being stuffed into shipping containers for overseas shipment.

Nirky
# Posted: 13 Feb 2014 15:35

Joyce, in the spirit of those earlier posts, I was joking about selling mass quantities of PP. That's why I put the happy face after my post. I'm sorry, I don't have any to sell.

40,000 m3 sure is a large amount. In fact, I did ran some numbers:

It takes approx 16,000 board feet to frame a 2400 sq ft home. There are 424 board feet in each cubic meter. Your 40,000 m3 would be enough to frame 1,052 homes of such size.

MDT, your elevations are spot on, that is exactly where the PP's grown in my area.

joyce
# Posted: 13 Feb 2014 15:44

LOL!! you certainly got me, Nirky..
I guess i was just too desperate for a seller!!

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 13 Feb 2014 20:59

Quoting: joyce
@toyota_mdt_tech
Amazing. Sounds beautiful : )

Thanks Joyce. But why "ponderosa pine", its usually not the most desirable wood and isnt the most plentiful either. Douglas Fir is some of the best for construction. Then maybe Spruce.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 13 Feb 2014 21:03

Quoting: Nirky
MDT, your elevations are spot on, that is exactly where the PP's grown in my area.

I grew up in a logging town, know my evergreens pretty well.
The national forest just past my place, the elevation goes way up to over 5K feet and the Ponderosas almost stop right at 4000, then the Lodgepole Pine and Spruce replace the Ponderosas and Douglas Firs.

We do have Tamarack or "Western Larch", strange tree, looks like a Douglas Fir, unless you look closer at the needles, then in the fall, they all turn yellow and loose the needles.

We have quaking Apsens, but they are in wetter areas, ie close to streams. In the weter side of my state, wet means alders or maples.

MtnDon
# Posted: 13 Feb 2014 21:18 - Edited by: MtnDon

from plants.usda.gov

Ponderosa pine... ... generally grows at elevations between sea level and 3,000 meters. The populations at higher elevations usually occur within the southern part of its range

3000 meters = 9842 feet

Nirky
# Posted: 13 Feb 2014 23:12

Quoting: toyota_mdt_tech
But why "ponderosa pine", its usually not the most desirable wood

That's exactly what Log Home Builders teach, that you can use any type of log to build a log home, but P-Pine is not known for it's longevity. It rots more rapidly than any other softwood when exposed to the elements. If you're going to use it, they teach to have extra long eaves to overhang & keep as much water off the log walls as possible.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 14 Feb 2014 10:36

Quoting: MtnDon
Ponderosa pine... ... generally grows at elevations between sea level and 3,000 meters. The populations at higher elevations usually occur within the southern part of its range

3000 meters = 9842 feet

Maybe more arid areas then. Its 2000-4000 here. They will grow fine at 500 feet above seal level. I planted on in my yard from Great Falls Montana and its getting big and looks like I'm going to have to cut it soon.

MtnDon
# Posted: 14 Feb 2014 17:07

They do grow in a great many places. They do well enough in dry places. They do not like to grow in places with too much water, too high a water table. We are near their southernmost limit and near their highest elevation. More or less the farther south you go the higher they will be found.

Truecabin
# Posted: 17 Feb 2014 22:44

maybe the chinese clearcut there forest already

maybe they need to make more pallets to supply walmart

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.