Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off Topic / The insulation pack rat syndrome
rmak
# Posted: 28 Mar 2014 23:01 - Edited by: rmak

I was just wondering if anyone here has my problem. I can't throw cut off pieces of insulation away. I always figure there will be a little corner or hole that I will be able to cut and stuff a piece in, so I haul it back to my barn and store it in a corner. I have insulation pieces dating back 20 years.

I also save wood cut offs, but I usually wind up looking for a 21 inch piece of 2X4 eventually so that makes sense.

When I was cleaning up on my cabin rebuild yesterday I started stacking foam insulation and rolling bits of fiberglass and said to myself, "Why am I saving a 2 foot long, 4 inch wide wedge of Styrofoam? When will I ever need that?"

I saved it anyhow. Is something wrong with me?

bldginsp
# Posted: 29 Mar 2014 00:04

In psychological circles, this is known as psychosomatainsulationosis. It was first identified at Point Barrow in north Alaska where insulation is critical for survival, but numerous residents were found hoarding anything with insulating characteristics even when they lived in the best insulated buildings in the area and had several down jackets.

The cure is to go to Hawaii and live in a ramshackle hut with no insulation, or heat, and with cracks in the walls that lets the breeze through. After several weeks of this, you will begin to regain a sense of security about being able to survive without insulation. Three or four mango papaya daqueris a day won't hurt, too.

There is hope for those afflicted with psychosomatainsulationosis, but separation anxiety when your slivers of polyurethane foam are taken away can be severe and its best to ramp down and keep a security blanket of 1/2 bat of R 13 close by in case of severe withdrawals.

Good luck, we're rooting for you!

VTweekender
# Posted: 29 Mar 2014 07:13

When you have psychosomatainsulationosis you save insulation pieces.

When you save insulation pieces you create a cozy home for varmints.

When you create a cozy home for varmints they invite friends over.

When they invite friends over, some of those friends are less than reputable.

When the less than reputable varmints are visiting they break into your home.

When they break into your home they steal your saltine crackers.

When they steal your saltine crackers they leave an empty box.

When your wife has a bowl of soup she gets the empty box of saltine crackers.

When she grabs the empty box of saltine crackers she is again angry at you for leaving an empty box.

When she is angry at you for again leaving an empty box of saltine crackers she yells at you and tells you how stupid you are.

When she tells you how stupid you are, you tell her she is full of total shitski.

DON'T tell your wife she is full of total shitski !!

ShabinNo5
# Posted: 29 Mar 2014 07:36

LOL

bobrok
# Posted: 29 Mar 2014 10:31

Equally guilty here! I have also been known to return from the transfer facility near my camp with more than when I left to go there. Amazing what ppl throw away.

CabinBuilder
Admin
# Posted: 30 Mar 2014 11:38

bldginsp
# Posted: 30 Mar 2014 11:59

I have 5 or 6 bundles of R30 fiberglass in storage in my shed attic for use in my (future) cabin floor. A mouse has gotten into it, but I don't know how far. But when I open the shed door, I find shredded gifts all over the place. (He also ripped a roll of TP to shreds- just to spite me).

So in my case, the pack rat is in the insulation, because I'm an insulation pack rat.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.