Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off Topic / my truck
. 1 . 2 . >>
cabingal3
# Posted: 9 Apr 2014 22:15

always wanted a truck.got one finally.
now i can look on craigs list and go get stuff we need for building our at our woods.
sure love it.way different than my century buick.
i cant wait to go pick my grandsons up this friday in my truck.they will really get a kick out of it.all three of us can sit up front.
gmc 1500 sierra 1993
gmc 1500 sierra 1993

Smawgunner
# Posted: 9 Apr 2014 22:18

Very very very cool!

cabingal3
# Posted: 9 Apr 2014 22:45

thank u Smawgunner.i love it.sort of scary for me but its pretty fun to drive.been taking it in small jaunts about town to get use to it.
hubby got it for me cause when we go to the woods i can help drive and give him a rest.no more sitting staring out the window jabbering about everything while i knit.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 9 Apr 2014 23:24 - Edited by: toyota_mdt_tech

Short bed and stepside, small paylod, but still a truck nonetheless. Nice job. I was just talking to a guy at work the other day and was trying to think of a time I didnt have a truck. I graduated in 79, my senior year, had a 73 SS Nova which I stuffed in a +.030 over 454 and then in 1980, bought my first truck (Still had the Nova) and have never been without a truck since. That first truck was a 1964 Ford F100 long bed, had the 292V8 which I had to overhaul after about 5 yrs and I removed the auto tranny and put in the granny 4 speed.

My current truck is a 2010 Ram 2500 in crew cab 4 door, long bed (truck is 22 feet long) , 4WD, 6 spd manual and diesel engine. The biggest truck, heaviest at 8000 lbs I ever had and the most I have ever spent on a new rig in my life

It makes towing my enclosed trailer (7X16) loaded with gear during construction a dream. Im done on the cabin, but still haul over my quad and load of gear to make cabin life nice.

I'm curious, any other members reading this who don't own a truck? And why not?

cabingal3
# Posted: 9 Apr 2014 23:36

well its actually just the photo.its got a long bed.
oh toyota your 2010 Ram 2500 sounds pretty nice.
we had a car and a jeep.now we have a jeep and a truck.gar got tired of hitching up the trailer to the jeep and hauling a heavy load on that old trailer.
i really think i am gonna have to fight to drive up to the cabin.i think hes gonna want to drive it.
i said i am not driving it thru big cities.all that is left is the mountains.i like to drive in the mountains but he does not like me to ...he does not rest.snicker.scared the dickens out of him once.
sure is fun to drive.

ErinsMom
# Posted: 9 Apr 2014 23:40

Growing up on farm, always wanted a truck. Was promised my granddad's but being a girl that didn't happen. Bought my first truck when I was about 36. Was gone to nursing conference when husband and Erin was t-boned by someone with NO insurance! No more new trucks. Have has three since then (used). Gave Mom my toy truck which is still going with >200,000 known miles. She and brother needed for getting wood out of mountain. Bought me another Tacoma with about 70,000.
EVERYONE should own a truck!

Bevis
# Posted: 9 Apr 2014 23:41

Nice truck... I've always owned a truck, wouldn't know how to act if I had to drive a car.

Shadyacres
# Posted: 10 Apr 2014 05:45

Here's a pic of my truck hauling another load to the cabin. I would be lost without my truck and have had one for a long time.
MFDC0003.JPG
MFDC0003.JPG

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 10 Apr 2014 06:25

southern country boys do not drive cars...unless they are classic ole skool ones...LOL

I have a yard full of trucks...I don't know how many till insurance time !! ouch!!!

Tacoma 4 wheel drive 4 door long bed is favorite one!!

and a pickup without 4 wheel drive is useless in my neck of the woods...

and with trucks...I still have 3 utility trailers....which come in hand hauling supplies....

enjoy your truck!!! Nice looking rig!!! You will never want a car again!!!

G M C= Got a Mechanic Coming ....is what they joke about in the south..lol

Don_P
# Posted: 10 Apr 2014 06:41

FORD= Found on Road Dead... oh, I'm down to the danger ranger. For some reason stodgy dodgies have tended to follow me home, there's 3 lined up around the place now. One is parts only, one awaiting resurrection, I think it blew a head gasket but I haven't had time, the old 80 Dodge is hooked to the log trailer, with over 500k it's down to farm use tags and local runs. the rust worms have about won but it's been a good one, posi front and rear, an old plow truck. There's a 35 long bed 1/2 ton waiting for my ship to come in. I spent the weekend chopping and rewelding the ladder rack from the old dodge to fit the 2wd ranger, hopefully it'll put enough weight in it's tail that it'll at least cross level wet grass, but it gets fair gas mileage. Hard to live without a truck... but you can get 13 sheets of ply on the roof of a pinto .

Smawgunner
# Posted: 10 Apr 2014 07:20

I've had a truck now for years. My first one was a Ranger 2wd. Big mistake. I got stuck in tall grass and just over an inch of snow! 4x4 and never looked back. I've always been a ford truck guy...Rangers and F150s. Not sure what Ford is going to do since ditching the Ranger. They don't have a mid sized truck anymore. I snagged the last one!

Gary O
# Posted: 10 Apr 2014 08:51 - Edited by: Gary O

This one's the exact mdl
I'd have taken pics of ours if I'd known there was gonna be a show and tell
4.3L V6, auto
Just yer basic pickup
LWB
Tight engine for 150K+ mi
Very well maintained

No fancy nothin'
Git in
Drive

T-tech, I know what yer sayin'
If you don't have a truck, it's like yer missin' a leg or sumpm.

Best truck I ever had was a '58 Ford
Leaky in line six, 3 on the tree
dog, gun, truck, and whatever yer haulin'
good times....right times

In my heart, however, is a place for a '49 willys
that and a good shop for wood butchering
.........and my cabinwoman
well.....I'll have arrived
'93 Jimmy
'93 Jimmy
'58 Ford
'58 Ford
Willys builder
Willys builder

cabingal3
# Posted: 10 Apr 2014 09:21

mrhayes -really nice truck and really grand trailer...

cabingal3
# Posted: 10 Apr 2014 09:23

Quoting: Don_P
Hard to live without a truck... but you can get 13 sheets of ply on the roof of a pinto .

Don_P-u gotta do what it takes to get er done.very good.

Gary O
# Posted: 10 Apr 2014 09:41

Heh, our cabin is 250 mi down the road.
I git sleepy on the way.
Cabingal does not drive a manual shifter.
So I pull over and take a nap.

Now, now we can just change drivers.
Only I prolly won't sleep much.

Y'see, when we got the Buick a few years back, we decided to take a quick jaunt to Reno.
....thru the mountains.
Pleasure trip.
I got sleepy.
Stopped at a vista.
Stretched.
Changed drivers.
I got comfy riding shotgun....with a pillow.
REM
Drool.

Woke up to screaming.

It was me.

Cabingal had nestled the Buick between two semis.
At about 65 mph.
Heading down the mountain.
Curves.
There was a good 5-6 inches of space on each side.
It was hailing as I recall.
The alternative was a rather precipitous cliff.

There was something critical in direct relation to basic driving that she had trouble accomplishing.
It's all just a foggy blur now, tucked deep into my psyche somewhere.
I really should be clutching a teddy bear when thinking about it.

I do clearly recall finding that there is no brake on the passenger side of a 2004 Buick Century.
...and really not that much to cling to.

I immediately converted to Christianity....begging for forgiveness of all my sins...and salvation.
I may have also beseeched Buddha and Allah

She commenced to laugh.

('she's laughing?!!!!')

This confirmed my innermost thoughts that my dear sweet woman had given herself over to satan.

Once we got into the flats, she pulled over...still giggling.
And once I pulled my fingertips outta the dashboard, I got out, kissed the ground, and drove the rest of the way.

I-I-I-I-I may not get much sleep on the way to the cabin.

MtnDon
# Posted: 10 Apr 2014 10:49

Presently we have a truck; Tacoma Access Cab with a topper on the bed. Much of the past I have depended on a 4 x 8 steel box utility trailer being towed by a capable tow vehicle. The trailer is now a third of a century old, has had countless sets of tires, three sets of tail lights (now LED), still has one set of original wheel bearings and recently had a paint job. Brush and left over house paint.

cabingal3
# Posted: 10 Apr 2014 10:54

well garyo.now that i read this.i see what was wrong with u.
i still see your face when u woke up.snicker
your screaming and face got me into fits of laughter.could not be helped.
i can drive the truck thru the big city if u stay awake to guide me thru.
i can drive in the mountains.its my lil trucky.dont want it hurt.
u just need to relax mister.
MtnDon.thats a pretty old trailer.very good.

Just
# Posted: 10 Apr 2014 11:21

God GARY , I miss this stuff !!

Gary O
# Posted: 10 Apr 2014 13:49

Well, Just, I plan on bein' around now.
So glad you're here.
We got wells to talk about.

cheers, mate

MtnDon
# Posted: 10 Apr 2014 14:19 - Edited by: MtnDon

Quoting: cabingal3
MtnDon.thats a pretty old trailer.very good.

Inside the box it is 49 x 97 inches

skootamattaschmidty
# Posted: 10 Apr 2014 15:18

I bought my first truck in 2005, Ford F150. Before that I was a mini van family guy and a small economical car. We had a pop up trailer and I wanted the truck to pull it. I still have the truck with just over 200000km on it. It's been a great vehicle and has been all over Ontario and the east coast of Canada. Now that we have the cabin it has been a work horse up there. I love it and don't think I will ever own anything but a truck! My wife has a new Jeep Wrangler which is a lot of fun at the cabin but it's no truck!
One great memory with the truck is going to the drive in on a warm night and backing in, filling an air bed in the bed of the truck for the kids and watching movies all night! You can't do that in a car!

cabingal3
# Posted: 10 Apr 2014 19:07

MntDon.wow.thats old?? it is wonderful.
Quoting: skootamattaschmidty
One great memory with the truck is going to the drive in on a warm night and backing in, filling an air bed in the bed of the truck for the kids and watching movies all night! You can't do that in a car!

no u surely cant.what fun.i would like for us to have a camp over on our truck and head up to alaska and camp out along the way and see the sights

VC_fan
# Posted: 10 Apr 2014 19:14

I understand that trucks are very addictive and have avoided one this long. Suburbans are a different story. Bought our first one not long after we got the land and needed to move kids and cabin building stuff. Now on our fourth and have moved up to one that's just a tad over 10 years old - essentially a new one! This is the first 4WD. The magic button that I can push to let me make it up the hill to the shack is pretty handy. Now used to move same kids to college...
2002 Suburban
2002 Suburban

Shadyacres
# Posted: 10 Apr 2014 21:24

Thanks cabingal3 , that was the 2nd time I used the trailer. I got it to haul my compact tractor to camp and back. It is a PJ trailer. That is a nice looking truck you got also. Over the years , I wish I would have kept some of my older trucks. You don't really get much for them when you trade them anyway. My first 4WD was a 1971 bronco. Now that was a machine that you could go anywhere in. Miss that vehicle

Don_P
# Posted: 10 Apr 2014 22:41

I do have a soft spot for those old Willy's, a Hurricane 6 and 40 acres to turn them around but they could pull the devil out of hell.
The first truck that was "mine", I was probably 6 or 7, in my usual spot between Grandaddy and Dad, bouncing across the pasture going out to feed. Grandaddy dropped the old International down into granny gear, told me to slide over and drive. He and Dad got out and stepped into the back to unload while I navigated across the pasture, hands up about head high, looking through the steering wheel, unable to reach the peddles. When it finally died I kept the old tube type 6 volt radio for years... I'm not entirely certain it's not in a box around here somewhere. I've lost his pocketknife dozens of times but have ceased to worry about it, it finds me whenever it's ready.

PatrickH
# Posted: 11 Apr 2014 07:46

Yep had trucks my whole full size blazer with the removable topper/cover,ford f-150,s-10 blazer, chevy c10 current is 2500 Suburban with 454 & 4l80e. But I can haul almost more in my caravan I put load levelers in the rear and with the back seats out 4x8 stuff slides right in and I can close the gate if i pull out the passanger seat I can fit 10' stuff no problem and its all protected and i can lock it. People underestimate the caravan all the time and it gets decent mileage.I have people come up to me all the time in disbelief on how much stuff I can fit in the van then I can put the seats back in and pick up the family. best vehicle ever and you can get the AWD.

silverwaterlady
# Posted: 11 Apr 2014 08:41

All you need is this:
image.jpg
image.jpg

naturelover66
# Posted: 11 Apr 2014 21:35

I love your new truck Cabi!! She's a beauty!! I just bought my first truck two weeks ago... A 2005 Dodge Ram 1500. Silver and chrome... Very pretty... It was a gift for my husband. And I wanted something capable of towing a horse trailer...�� We traded in his 1991 Chevy 2500 ... Shed probably headed for the truck graveyard... With 198,000 miles ...shes was falling apart. I have a Trailblazer SUV...i don't consider it a truck really .. Although some may.
GaryO....i really enjoyed your story... Best laugh I've had all day!! The husband raised an eyebrow wondering what I was giggling about for so long..
Have fun driving your new truck Cabi !!��

TheAnswerIs42
# Posted: 11 Apr 2014 23:03

Ah yes, trucks. Functionality is what it is all about. I've been through many a work horse. Datsun King Cab w/8' bed, F150 extended cab w/8' bed, F250 4x4 4dr 8' bed, now Tacoma access cab 4x4 w/6' bed. Had to let the F250 go because my age was getting up there and to get in the truck I had to open the driver's door take several steps back and take a running jump to get in. Plus you just don't park a 22 foot truck in any ole parking lot. Loved it though.

cabingal3
# Posted: 12 Apr 2014 03:13

thanks naturelover.and u two enjoy your 2005 dodge ram 1500 gal.hope it goes all u want it too.thank u.

. 1 . 2 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.