Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off Topic / Snakeskin hat band
neb
# Posted: 5 Jun 2014 23:52 - Edited by: neb

I have been tanning a few bull snake hides. I just finished this one and I'm in the process of making a hat band. I do not kill snakes but if I find one that someone has hit I will try to put it to use.

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 6 Jun 2014 07:20

Pretty fancy and the antler chandelier?

cabingal3
# Posted: 6 Jun 2014 07:22

wow .this is what i want to do.tan things.
it looks really nice.thanks for sharing .

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 6 Jun 2014 10:35

dang Neb~~~I like you PIMP hat

I got some big rattler's in the freezer....that needs tanning...what solution are you using???

naturelover66
# Posted: 6 Jun 2014 12:20

Lol... Yeah nice pimp hat.. I bet people would buy them!

neb
# Posted: 6 Jun 2014 16:22 - Edited by: neb

LOL! I have tanned many and give them away. They have some very beautiful skin and I would guess to many it is a little bizarre but they are very clean and easy to work with. I have inlayed the skin on a few knifes and they are still looking good and these knives are working knives. These knives I use for hunting.
I wear rubber gloves and cut them right up the belly. From there if you use my recipe I have down below they will turn out good. Down the road if the skin is getting a little dry just rub on a small amount of glycerin and the life of the skin will be like the day you tanned it. Glycerin can be bought at any drug store off the shelve. It is a skin lotion that softens and is very good stuff. The other thing once things are dried I always take of the scales off with a light brush or something like a credit card. Go over the skin against the grain and remove the scales. The color of the skin is more detailed and the scales will come off as time goes by anyway.

1.Skin out the snake and make sure that all the meat and fat are removed from the flesh side of the skin.
2.Mix a solution of equal parts pure glycerin and rubbing alcohol in a sealable container. Make enough to fully submerge the skin.
3.Loosely roll the snakeskin, put it into the solution, and seal the container.
4.Let the snakeskin sit for 2-3 days stirring once a day. Make sure that the skin is fully submerged.
5.Remove the skin from the container and rinse with water.
6.Use a dull knife and scrape the flesh side to remove any loose membrane. This will give the flesh side a nice clean look when you are finished.
7.Spread a light coat of the pure glycerin on the flesh side and let it hang dry for 24 hours. You want to pin every inch or so and stretch out the skin. Use a piece of Styrofoam to pin and stretch the hide.
8.Use a damp cloth to wipe any excess residue off the skin and you're all done.

mebedd
# Posted: 23 Dec 2014 17:48

I used neb's instructions on a copperhead snake a couple of weeks ago. It turned out great.
IMG_5790.JPG
IMG_5790.JPG
IMG_5958.JPG
IMG_5958.JPG
IMG_5959.JPG
IMG_5959.JPG
IMG_5960.JPG
IMG_5960.JPG

Just
# Posted: 23 Dec 2014 18:29

Nice job Neb, we can't have even a road kill snake skin in Ontario Canada .

cabingal3
# Posted: 23 Dec 2014 20:28

that is so nice neb.very handsomely made.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.