Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off Topic / real happy
cabingal3
# Posted: 17 May 2010 11:40

my hubby has for sure decided we will be building a bigger place and a shop for him at our property and we will be moving out to our woods.i am so dog gone happy.it has been an up and down roller coaster with him saying yes one minute and hmm,not sure the next.
he stood up yesterday and declared he loved these woods soo much.i am so thrilled.we are heading out to build as soon as we can.we have our little cabin there already.we are going to build a bigger one and use the two for our housing needs.yay.

SmlTxCabin
# Posted: 18 May 2010 10:57

congratulations!!! That is very exciting.

cabingal3
# Posted: 18 May 2010 12:14

thanku.it really really is.u know SmTxCabin...thru the years in the hippy back to the land era-we had 5 acres.We lived with out power for a year.we had a garden and went to the river to swoop up water from the river and back to our land to hand water each plant.we got a foundation thought of...for a cabin.we were silly kids from the white toilet bowl society.we did not know how to do anything.we have slowly learned thru the years.we sold that much to our sorrow.5 acres on the edge of hundreds of acres of woods.agh.makes me sick at heart to think of it.
then we got some woods up out of Vernonia Oregon and build a small cabin shed.then we build more sheds here at our home we are in now-to get more experience.Now we know how to do so much more and i can really see us living and doing and being out there.what changed his mind more than anything?up n our woods-use to be a much of renegades.Now there is alot of older people who are there.of course they are coming from California with monies to put down to bring in a house and plop it down.we will have to build all we have,dig our well ourselves and but its all good.we learn.nobody can take away from us what we learn.so cool.cabingal3

Late Bloomer
# Posted: 20 Sep 2010 21:16

Expect you two have had a busy summer...I just found this site - like you, I lived through the 60's & wanted to leave the city, but never found anyone to go with - I grew up very rural, & now I'm a scrawny 64-yr.old lady determined to make it the last 3.5 miles from where I'm perched in an old house in my hometown to my beloved land. Tired of being just a visitor there. But I have to do it alone, & I'm learning all I can. Wishing you all the best!

cabingal3
# Posted: 21 Sep 2010 04:21

thank u Late Bloomer. i wish u the best.
it is a hard long path to land if u dont just jump in and do it.But hubby always is there to remind me we have skills to learn as we go into this change of lifestyle.
i want to get out there and get going...but have to wait and work on the place as we go along.
what things do u have to do before u get out onto your land??
we are working on getting our outhouse door on this weekend and also i am pulling everything out of the cabin to paint the floor.
we are working on clearing off the land some more.always working on that one.i am also going to paint the outhouse so as to protect the wood from winter snows.
then there is some skills i freak hubby out with-hunting squirrels.i have alot to learn in that area as in needing a gun to shoot but since there are neighbors about.i do not want to go shooting in the trees with a .22.i have read that those bullets can soar thru the air for a mile and a half.so i just want something a bit less.
we have had a solar shower bag out there for years now and i have yet to use it.i would love to hang it up in the trees and get a tarp around the trees to form a shower stall.
so we are trying to mix learning and doing with fun.
i wish u luck.and to have your dream come true.

cabingal3
# Posted: 28 Nov 2010 06:25

we were to go to our cabin in the woods a week back and did not make it there.Our jeep was in the shop.we will be going soon as the weather clears a bit for us to get thru the mts.We are going to take off a week to go down there and burn dead wood piles and also build.

hattie
# Posted: 28 Nov 2010 20:58

Congratulations cabingal3 and Gary O....I can't wait to read about all your adventures.

Gary O
# Posted: 29 Nov 2010 09:15

Quoting: cabingal3
did not make it there.Our jeep was in the shop

Yeah, Hattie, our latest was a non-adventure. The Jeep (Little Joe the Wrangler) decided it needed a re-built rearend (don't we all).
Usually, I just turn the radio up when I hear a noise, but this one was persistant.
S-o-o-o, next spring.
Writing and build thoughts need to satisfy me until then.
Cabi keeps checking the roads....wanting to scoot down there before spring if the weather breaks...I'll take photos of her putting on the chains on Willamette pass.........s/be a good story

hattie
# Posted: 29 Nov 2010 12:47

Quoting: Gary O
Writing and build thoughts need to satisfy me until then.

Before we lived up here full time, we used to close the cabin every November 11 (when the snow started to fly) and not return until spring. The 3 1/2 hour drive to our city home on that last trip was always in silence. We just hated to leave. Our city winters were filled with plans and anticipation for the spring thaw.

The first year, we figured spring was about April....Second year, mid-March.....Then early March....Then late February.....One year we decided to go for a drive in December and ended up here. *S* Of course the water was all turned off and drained, so we got some water from our neighbour to flush toilets and make tea and coffee. *S*

I think the happiest drive of my life was when we left our city home for good and made our final drive up here to stay. Our cabin was already furnished, so all we brought was our suitcases. We had a "get your inheritance now" party a few weeks before the big move. Our 5 kids (all adults, but I still call 'em kids) were given sticky notes (each kid got their own colour). We drew numbers and #1 kid put a sticky note on something in the city house they wanted, then #2 kid, etc. We did that all day until there was nothing left in the house that the kids didn't want. Anything without a sticky note on it, was donated to charity. The kids had a week to move out their chosen stuff. *S* The kids had a blast, we got rid of our "stuff" and our final drive to the cabin was stress free and easy. *grin*

I can feel your and cabingal3's enthusiasm just like ours was. You will never regret starting this new adventure of yours. *S*

Jerry
# Posted: 29 Nov 2010 15:57

Hattie and others -

I really identified with your comments about closing the cabin in November and not returning till spring. I closed mine, which is only an hour north of my home, in mid November and am dieing to get back. Actually I'm dieing for spring weather so I can continue building my dreams. Exterior construction in the winter is difficult if not impossible here in northern Minnesota. But I'm doing what I can in my garage to be ready for spring. I just built a bar for the changing room outside the sauna, have built the sauna stove, and gathered other items for the food processing section of my planned building. I know it sounds a little strange; a combination sauna, bar, food canning/sausage making room, but I'm combining the things I like to do into this multi-use building. There's even room for making rustic furniture in another part of the same building.

What I'd really like to plan is to escape the bonds of this material world, move to the cabin (with some improvements) and live a much slower and less demanding life. After all, you only need enough income to meet your needs, right? Owning a big house, horses, toys, giving the well educated adult children a better life at their young age than you ever had, all demand a good income. Stress = eventual health issues, so why do we do it? Because we always dreamed of having these things, and now they own us. I'd much rather live in a small home, have coffee on the deck in the morning, take a walk, build something or garden or can or pick berries or ????, and watch the sun set in the evening. Those are things money can't buy; they're free for the taking if you so chose.

So, I guess I just talked myself into it. Thank you for the opportunity.

Jerry

bobrok
# Posted: 29 Nov 2010 18:40

We've closed our place up 3 times so far this fall. Each time we went up we figured it to be the last for the year.

Well as I write this we are just returned from our third close of the season. If the draw is strong enough you just gotta go back, don't ya?

We'll be up again sometime in Feb/March if I have anything to say about it. :-P

Rob_O
# Posted: 29 Nov 2010 19:31

My trailer cabin is about 30 minutes East of my city house. I "closed" the trailer for the year and brought home everything that would freeze over a month ago, but I have been back out there several times since.

I'm hoping for an "unseasonably warm" weekend so I can do an overnighter again before April

Gary O
# Posted: 30 Nov 2010 19:00

Rob_O
Are you up in the hills?
get much snow?

Rob_O
# Posted: 30 Nov 2010 19:39

Rob_O
Are you up in the hills?
get much snow?

No, and no. I wish I was and I wish we did. I live in Louisville KY

Gary O
# Posted: 30 Nov 2010 20:33

Never been there, but used to day dream about it when studing US history in early grade school..Cumberland Gap....frontier expeditions...etc.
We had a one room school, with an outhouse. It was just off Scappoose creek...thick with steelhead...our teacher was a logger in the summer...a real nature guy...he bailed out those steelhead with his hands.....we built igloos in the winter and our field trips were actually field trips...beaver dams, and nature exploration.
Funny, he painted such a picture of Kentucky, I imagined I was there when we explored...........

Rob_O
# Posted: 30 Nov 2010 21:01

Funny, he painted such a picture of Kentucky, I imagined I was there when we explored...........

As well you should have, Scappoose creek is in Oregon

Gary O
# Posted: 30 Nov 2010 21:24 - Edited by: Gary O

Guess I'm mentally spent.....
Our school on Scappoose creek was not part of my day dream.
I was raised on a tributary of that creek, upstream about 10 mi from the school at the end of Pisgah Home rd. Learned to fish at 4, caught my first steely by 6.

MikeOnBike
# Posted: 30 Nov 2010 22:42

Gary,

My mom grew up over your way. Her family owned a store in Dundee for a while and then they moved down to Whiteson and opened a store there. My Grandmother taught school in Amity.

Gary O
# Posted: 30 Nov 2010 23:01

I s'pose things have changed quite a bit since then.
Dundee is now a vinter's paradise, but a bottle neck on the way to the coast.
Whiteson is, well Whiteson...pretty much a bend in the road.
Amity is still a quaint berg.
I was raised over the hill, up near Vernonia and Scappoose.
Born in Hillsboro.

MikeOnBike
# Posted: 30 Nov 2010 23:39

Yeah, we were in McMinnville a year ago for a funeral. We spent a day checking out the area and finding the old store in Dundee. We hit the bottleneck. There store in Whiteson is gone, just the bend in the road left. Yes, it had changed a lot from the early forties.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 1 Dec 2010 00:49

Quoting: cabingal3
then we got some woods up out of Vernonia Oregon

Ah, they had a massive flood about 5 yrs ago. Ever see the History channel show Axe Men, Stump Branch Logging, Jay Browning, and a few others from that area. I grew up in a logging town. Loved it. Still love the woods.

Gary O
# Posted: 1 Dec 2010 09:01

Quoting: MikeOnBike
we were in McMinnville a year ago

Quite the little city, self sustaining, and they've kept the old town strip even though all the big box stores fill the east side of town. Usually the city counsel (store owners) keep out the big guys, but Mac seems to have a different philosophy.
Quoting: toyota_mdt_tech
Axe Men

Yeah, Vernonia was the epitome of a logging town in it's day. Still quite a bit of it, but they just haul out mostly what we call 'pecker poles' (third growth). There's a wonderful stream (Rock Creek)running thru Vernonia and up to Keasy dam sight. It's full of native cut throat trout...pink meat, as they dine on the crawdads. They have the fight of a steel head, tail walk, jump, dive, and slam your bait or fly with vigor. Love walkin' that stream, just for the beauty of it. The aromas of the stream, frog water and reeds, driven by the mountain breeze thru the firs and alders, sends me back to that little school and our home in the Chapman hills.
The Hulce family had quite a logging outfit in Vernonia, and up until a few years ago, I'd stop in to ask old man Hulce for permission to fish his part of the stream. He was just concerned with the salmon spawning beds, but once we swapped fishing lies, we became good aquaintances. Wonderful man. Did himself in when he fell into a diabetic depression. Sad.
When the boys were 10 and 12, I took them and three of their friends up to my secret fishing hole, just 5 mi our of Vernonia. Took 'em up the logging road and thru the willow and brush, back down to an 'inaccessable' part of the stream. On the way they moaned about needing an ATV. I meantioned that if they would be a bit quiet that they might see something. Moments later we heard what seemed like a freight train comin' thru the brush. It was a rather large herd of Elk. Once they put their faces back together, we made our way to the stream. Didn't catch many fish, but those memories remain etched in their minds. Ran into one of them years later. His face lit up when recalling our adventure. Did this ol' soul some good. My youngest son is a commercial fisherman. Yeah, Bristol bay, King crab, and now dungeness. I may have had a hand in his choice of vocations...........

BTW, if any of you guys happen thru hwy 26 on the way to the coast, take hwy 47 at Staley's and enjoy the drive to Vernonia. A better one is thru Jewel (scope out the elk at the reserve) and truck on thru to Astoria. Lots of thick old growth, and switch backs. End up climbing the Astor column (if you dare).
Take your camera.................

Happy trails

Gary O'

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.