Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off Topic / Controlled Burns
neb
# Posted: 25 Jul 2014 17:56

Does anyone have any experience or have knowledge of controlled burns. The land I own is all native and really hasn't been touched since God was a boy.

It does have some old fence that are old cedar trees that where made in to posts. I was told it had some cows on it about 75 years ago. So you can imagine the old grass and brushed up area that I have. The only thing that has lived on this land has been wildlife.

If you have any ideas for proceeding I'm all ears. I would have it done I would never attempt such a thing. The problem who.

bldginsp
# Posted: 25 Jul 2014 19:06

I think it's really entirely a function of particular circumstances in terms of type of forest, and particular circumstances in terms of weather conditions. I'm in the California Northern Sierra, which may be entirely different from your area, but here's what they do here.

First they try to define a perimeter in order to keep it from getting out of hand. They'll bulldoze a swath around the given area to burn so on the day the shovel handlers will be able to stop it at the swath. Then they wait for the right time in spring or fall, for the right moment the right amount of time after a rain. You want it dry enough to burn over the top of the duff, but you don't want the bottom duff to all burn, so you want some dampness beneath. Next they look at humidity and wind, looking for lower humidity but not bone dry, and no prospect of heavy wind that could cause it to get out of hand.

Have you talked to any forestry types about how they handle it in your area?

mgc
# Posted: 25 Jul 2014 19:22

Try the Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS) agent in your area, thats who does ours. They are a great source for information and ready to help, the biologist we use has been great. They will not do it for you, but they will help, provide the burn plan and tell you what needs to be done to prepare the burn area with fire breaks.

neb
# Posted: 25 Jul 2014 19:27

No I haven't and I really don't believe they have any such thing. This a very rough country and if a fire was to get started by accident it would have to be fought from air or by foot. A mule would have a hard time getting around in most of it. It would be a bad deal if one got going. I will do some checking but I wouldn't want bull dozen done so that my not be an option.

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 25 Jul 2014 21:52

I use to burn my land off ever 3 years.....( southern camp)...one time it got to hot of a FIRE and burned up some young pines and killed them. And I stopped.
The deer/turkey and other critters loved the new grasses and vegetation that comes out after a fire. We usually burn late winter BEFORE things green up. I use the forestry service and they cut a fire break on my property lines ( which I use for a road for my hunting golf carts/4wheelers......I set the fire and burn into the wind you want a slow fire
...I need to do it again this winter after hunting season.

neb
# Posted: 25 Jul 2014 22:01 - Edited by: neb

Exelent information. I will look in to this. If it ever got away in there I'd be in the clink. Lol Thanks

TH>>>the Native Americans burned and knew the benefits from burning.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.