Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off Topic / Age old question - Ford/Chevy/GM or Dodge
. 1 . 2 . >>
Pookie129
# Posted: 1 Nov 2014 16:26

We are in the market for a new pick up and just wondering what people's preferences are and why?

beachman
# Posted: 1 Nov 2014 17:25

Chevy - great product, great service, good mileage.

Pookie129
# Posted: 1 Nov 2014 18:19

Is there much difference between the chevy and gmc since they are made by the same company per say?

We can get a good deal through a friend on a Ford but I am more partial to gmc/chevy's never seen a real dodge fan but some people speak highly of them, but in my mind they are in 4th place.

MtnDon
# Posted: 1 Nov 2014 18:23

Toyota. Just because I like them and it'll add some variety to an argument that nobody ever wins anyhow.

bobrok
# Posted: 1 Nov 2014 19:20

LOL!
Nissan, just because it beat Toyota in my own personal test drives and comparisons based on creature comfort and power/torque.
To be fair, though, I drive the 'baby' version, the Frontier.
There were no comparables among the big 3 for me.

Malamute
# Posted: 1 Nov 2014 19:23 - Edited by: Malamute

A friend thats into high performance pickup stuff likes Fords (he has a true 3/4 ton with tons of high performance work done on the diesel engine and trans), he laughs at Dodges, he says he has a fair collection of pictures of Dodge trucks with bent frames and other serious maladies when used for off road racing and other hard use. I know nothing about it, he seems convinced. My general opinion of Dodges is that they've never really interested me. No particular reasoning, just off the cuff opinion.

I've had several Ford F-250 4x4s, they were tough, but seemed to have an annoying number of little electronic glitches. I've been driving Chevy/GMC Suburbans for about 10 years and been very happy. The experience I've had with Nissan and Toyota trucks has been very good.

GMC is supposedly the better grade of Chevy, I don't know if its any more than cosmetic/comfort or not. They are basically interchangeable as far as parts. I cant tell any difference, but have never compared similar years/models.

A friend that used to work at a Chrysler transmission plant had some interesting comments. He buys their trucks because he gets good deals from having worked there, but tells of some very flaky practices in the plant, running bad parts through to keep production quotas up, and his truck when he retired had constant transmission issues. He said it was a serious issue that they knew of with the truck transmissions at that time and never really corrected in that year (s?) other than keep throwing parts at them until out of warrantee.

He said that the industry inside stats on returns for drive line issues had Dodge behind Ford and Chevy. That was a constant for the most part.

LastOutlaw
# Posted: 1 Nov 2014 19:54

I own a 06 Toyota Tacoma. I have almost 190,000 miles on it. The only things I have had to do to it is change oil, air cleaners, tires and brakes. One new set of U-joints.
I was a GM man for years.
I wonder why I suffered all those years when I could have had a Taco!

MtnDon
# Posted: 1 Nov 2014 19:56

GMC VS Chevy.... only cosmetic differences. Maybe a higher trim level, but the mechanicals are identical. Except i think you can get a 6.2 l engine in the GMC.

Pookie129
# Posted: 1 Nov 2014 20:08

that is funny and a welcome addition to the conversation - I hadn't considered a nissan.....or a toyota for that matter, so bring on the comments and advice.

Pookie129
# Posted: 1 Nov 2014 20:10

Thanks Malamute, very helpful.

Pookie129
# Posted: 1 Nov 2014 20:11

Much appreciated all - I will take all the feedback I can get.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 1 Nov 2014 20:35 - Edited by: toyota_mdt_tech

OK, as a trained professional dealer technician who's employer also owns Chevrolet dealership and Dodge dealerships, I say "Toyota" for the most reliable.

My personal preference to the big 3 would be the Chevrolet/GMC stuff. (I know the big 3 is really Toyota, GM then Ford based on size/sales, but you guys know what I meant) I know Ford makes a great truck, but look under the hood, half the engine is under the dash (cab forward design) and makes it a nightmare to service.

OK, the next crazy response from me is "I purchased a brand new RAM 2500 crew cab long bed 4WD in 2010"

Why? Well, most aggressive in pricing (by a long shot, (the Cummins option was a $7600 add), 2010 model year, quality, fit and finish went WAY up. They are the only mfg who still offers the manual transmission (6 spd) which I wanted. I have never trusted Chrysler automatics any further than I can throwq them, but the good news in 2014, they offer an upgraded 6 spd Aisan automatic (Toyota/Hino HD truck tranny), these are bullet proof, like GM's Allisons, but better IMHO, but at a cost of about $2700 add, but the engine behind it now delivers 850 ft lbs torque and an inline 6 cylinder has to be one of the easiest engines to work on, but the fact its a Cummins means its rock solid and I doubt I will ever have to do anything serious to it. I wanted a diesel, so my choices were the big domestics.

But in the end, they are all great rigs.

Pookie129
# Posted: 1 Nov 2014 21:19

I am not even sure if I should even open that can of worms, but diesel versus regular gas comments?

Since we are discussing stuff anyway...lol..lol.

Pookie129
# Posted: 1 Nov 2014 21:20

And yes, pricing is really what is creating the confusion here = since we can get a great deal on the Ford but then throwing in personal preferences, wants and costs...it is making it a tough call.....

Malamute
# Posted: 1 Nov 2014 21:24 - Edited by: Malamute

Sounds like a great Chrysler engine and trans upgrade from what was happening a few years before and with thier auto trans.

I agree about Toyotas being generally more reliable. One of the things the friend that worked at the Chrysler trans plant mentioned, when they had a problem, they kept running bad products through while trying to figure out what was wrong. A friend of his worked at an Isuzu plant. When a problem came up, the entire line was stopped until the problem was figured out and corrected. Japanese management style VS corporate American style.

Still, it amounts to choosing what you need/want, and going with it, warts and all. I'd probably be better off at this point with a smaller vehicle, and don't really need to size and towing capacity of a Suburban that often. I do seriously like the comfort and space, and room over a compact pickup/SUV though.

Diesels can get very good mileage, especially when altered, but that's a different subject. If you need towing power, they are the fist choice for most here for horse rigs etc. They do require some pretty expensive maintenance, and when things go wrong, can be VERY expensive to fix. On the opposite side, they can last crazy long. Most gas engines today will last over 200K without too much issue, some quite a lot longer. I've run two Suburbans over 250K and wouldn't hesitate to drive the current one cross country if need be. It had a transmission need replacing, that's the only major thing done. I think I'm getting my moneys worth out of it. Paid about $5k used, put about 90k miles on it. Still seems OK for the most part. Just doesn't get great mileage (14.5 average).

bobrok
# Posted: 1 Nov 2014 21:26

Also, remember that the new F150s coming will be all aluminum exterior panels. Weight reduction vs steel will be some 700 lbs. with resultant increase in mpg.
IIRC Ford will have a new 2.7 liter V6 for even better fuel mileage.

bldginsp
# Posted: 1 Nov 2014 22:54

Toyota, Ford or GM/Chevy.

Dodge has always been an inferior make, at least since they stopped making the big blocks and slant 6s.

Nissan are not engineered to last, they are engineered to sell off the showroom floor.

Most important things are finding a vehicle you like and verifying its condition.

I drive a Taco 4x4 and wouldn't trade it for anything except an electric with 400 mile range and fast charge, which they don't make yet.

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 1 Nov 2014 23:39 - Edited by: turkeyhunter

Quoting: LastOutlaw
2014 19:54

Reply getQuotation('LastOutlaw');Quote

I own a 06 Toyota Tacoma. I have almost 190,000 miles on it. The only things I have had to do to it is change oil, air cleaners, tires and brakes. One new set of U-joints.I was a GM man for years.I wonder why I suffered all those years when I could have had a Taco!

I have been a Toyota owner since 1979....always had a Toyota 4 x4 since then......those Taco's are tough as nails.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 1 Nov 2014 23:45

I bought a brand new Tacoma in 98. It was the TRD off road package, 4WD, extended cab, V6 5 spd, loaded, pwr everything. It had 60K on it last year, always garaged, original windshield, not a single chip in it, original tires and it had a book value of $7695. I sold it for $13,500 and the guy was happy to get it. It seems Tacomas in 4WD go for 4-6K over blue book value. I upped mine an extra K because it was a one owner, all original, always garaged Toyota dealer tech owned since new. There was a time just a few short years ago I had my 98 Tacoma, a 98 Chevrolet K1500 with 5.7 gas, a 92 Chevrolet C2500 in diesel and my new RAM 2500 diesel, all at the same time. I had a huge truck sale. Just the RAM now. I didnt want to sell the Tacoma, wife pushed it and the $13,500 was a deal closer. SOLD!

I have a 7X16 enclosed tandem axle trailer I use to haul bld materials and tools over to my cabin. I have to go over 3 mountain passes. The large RAM 2500 diesel tugs it all the way with ease. Its so roomy inside, 4 adults have loads of room, so much power, pulls like a clysdale and the full 8 foot bed is great. I'm not a Mopar guy at all in fact, there isnt a Dodge I'd own, except the RAM and only in diesel form, I wouldnt own anything else Dodge/RAM.

Diesel, cost is higher. Dont do it unless you are serious about pulling or can do your own work. I get 18.3 mpg in combo rural local driving unloaded. Towing to my cabin loaded trailer, about 13.2ish (over 300 miles)
Trailer I pull to cabin loaded with tools/bld stuff
Trailer I pull to cabin loaded with tools/bld stuff
My RAM 2500 Diesel
My RAM 2500 Diesel
My most favorite truck I have ever owned.
My most favorite truck I have ever owned.

Pookie129
# Posted: 2 Nov 2014 05:00

Okay, well at least I can close the diesel can of worms, thanks Malamute and TMT - opened and closed that door pretty quick. I won't be towing horses anytime soon and the added expense in terms of maintenance, etc is not something that I need or is necessary for what we need or use a pick up for, so I will close that door and just move on since now I want to take a more serious look at the toyota option

Thanks bldginsp, I don't feel badly about scratching the dodge right off the list and giving me the chance to look at the toyota's.

Sorry if this is an amateur question but can someone add anything further to the FORD aluminium frame change from steel comment - I get the whole benefit to mpg and increased range, but what about safety and other considerations outside of just increased mpg and fuel range......

Pookie129
# Posted: 2 Nov 2014 05:10

I should mention that between cabin and work related driving - I drive approximately 5 - 8K a month - yes, 5 - 8K a month. most months it is between 5 - 7K but some months it is a little higher.

I am in a lot of dark and distant places in the middle of the night, in bad North Eastern Ontario winter weather and the truck needs to be reliable, capable and safe.

Like Malamute, I may not always need all the space and towing, but it is nice and comfortable since I spend so much time in the truck.

There are also times, frequently, I need to bring/haul people (work related) and supplies (work related) which is why it needs to be a crew cab type deal. There are also frequent times where it is just me, the dog, cabin gear and or supplies but the truck acts as a personal/mobile centre of the universe for me for both work and regular life.

itsals1
# Posted: 2 Nov 2014 08:01

Check out the Ram! I've been a GM guy all my life and have had a few Fords.
Cost for what you get! We'll our business truck was $7000.00 less than a comparable GM! The Ram has the 6.4 Hemi/asisn trans great truck so far!
Local neighbor had Ford all his life now has a new Ram 1500 loves it,he told me I wish I had this years ago. Toyota tacoma would be my choice for a daily driver!

bldginsp
# Posted: 2 Nov 2014 08:15 - Edited by: bldginsp

Ford aluminum frame- that's an interesting thing they did. I don't know anything about it in terms of engineering etc, but I have to believe that Ford would very carefully engineer it with destruction testing, etc. Not because they are nice people who care about their consumers, but because they know that if they blow it they'll get laughed at, blow their reputation, and lose their market predominance. Still, it's new and not tested with thousands of users over time, so you'd be an early adopter. So long as you are not going to really test the strength of the frame by rock crawling with 1500 lbs in the back or running the Baja 2000 dirt race, I doubt the thing is going to fail on you. And you'll like the increased mileage. How much more expensive are they?

But what's most interesting about this aluminum frame thing is the issue of perception- I'm sure its a fine truck, but will American pickup drivers accept a truck made out of melted beer cans? "Built Ford Tough!" with rivets implies tough as steel, not that wimpy light weight stuff. Be interesting to see how it goes.

There are plenty of aluminum frame airplanes still in service after decades and their weight/strength ratio is probably more radical than a dinky pickup.

bobrok
# Posted: 2 Nov 2014 08:20

Quoting: Pookie129
Sorry if this is an amateur question but can someone add anything further to the FORD aluminium frame change from steel comment - I get the whole benefit to mpg and increased range, but what about safety and other considerations outside of just increased mpg and fuel range......

It's not the frame but the exterior panels being changed to aluminum. A lot of mfgs have been using aluminum for vehicle hoods for a long time in order to decrease weight. Ford will begin producing F150s with all of its exterior panels (doors, fenders, tailgate, etc.) from aluminum. It's a huge, expensive gamble for Ford to do this, but by doing so to what is their biggest selling vehicle they will significantly lower their overall fleet mpg ratings. And that makes the Feds very happy.

rmak
# Posted: 2 Nov 2014 09:49

I'm on my third Ford Ranger 4 X 4. Each bought new and driven without any out of normal repairs. Each one traded in with fairly high mileage and sold by the dealership quickly. I know the guy who bought my last truck and it's still rolling along without issues. My garage is a converted farm outbuilding with a shed roof, so I can't have a big, high truck. The ranger nestles quite nicely in the space. It's just small enough so relatives don't ask to borrow it to move things. I love it and curse Ford for ending production on the Ranger. What were they thinking?!
We are going to buy my mother-in-law's Focus, another great Ford product, when her lease is done so I can store my Ranger in the barn and keep it forever. I've never gone wrong with Ford trucks and would buy another again.

Pookie129
# Posted: 2 Nov 2014 12:06

I am concerned or would be concerned about being the first wave of testers for the change over to aluminum and although I am sure, as many have commented, that they have done their homework in making such a large change to one of their best selling products, but when you consider that Microsoft released Vista - a huge change from something that was already working fairly well, and people hated it and it created a lot of problems for Microsoft.

I know that I might be comparing apples to combs, but not all changes are good ones...lol.

Thanks again, everyone, I really appreciate the feedback, advice, comments and experiences - they are all very helpful.

bobrok
# Posted: 2 Nov 2014 12:08

Yeah, all those small pickups from the big 3 were discontinued, but all 3 are being redesigned and will be reintroduced to the market soon.
I have the same issue with clearances and cannot park a full size truck in my carport (truckport?). Even with power folding mirrors I'd have millimeters of clearance.
It really hurt spending as much for a small p/u as a full size one would've cost, but since I have a small - cabin I'm happy with my small - truck!

creeky
# Posted: 2 Nov 2014 12:08

I have to say Ford. I've had two in a row. Both bought used. And my current f150 is 12 years old. bought for 7k in the US. cause it was a manual and florida drivers can't drive a stick. and so far it's oil and gas. tho the brakes and muffler are due. (overdue for the muffler).

they are just reliable trucks. remember canadians are frugal. so there's a reason we buy more ford trucks than any other vehicle.

Plus manual 4x4. yee ha! goin' for a rip!

MtnDon
# Posted: 2 Nov 2014 13:48

manual 4x4.... do you mean the turn the hubs sort of thing or a manually shifted transmission.

creeky
# Posted: 2 Nov 2014 14:27

manual shifted. the hubs on low lock with a vacuum. sweet. no getting out of the truck even if the beer could use a chill.

give 'er a rip boyz.

. 1 . 2 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.