Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off Topic / Blogging: Wordpress, Blogger, Weebly or ?
Steve_S
# Posted: 19 Nov 2014 14:36

Hey Folks,

I'm looking for a Blogging Site that I can post our build photo's, notes, discussions and such on. I've been looking at various sites & places and the 3 top ones are WordPress, Blogger or Weebly or so it seems.

I know the power of WP and how much you can do with it. Blogger I think is lighter but equally robust from what I remember. Dunno much about Weebly.

I don't particularly want it attached to my GMAIL / Google accounts, rather I'd like it to be independent... Google collects far too much data on people. FaceBook etc are non-options as I will never "Social Media" anything...

Any thoughts, suggestions or experiences with blog sites folks ?
Somewhere that holds both images & text content ?

MtnDon
# Posted: 19 Nov 2014 14:46

All I can say is that for me personally, I do not follow blogs. I spend enough time on a few forums. No Facebook for me either.

Steve_S
# Posted: 19 Nov 2014 15:12

I like forums as well and never ever got into the Social Media brain pulverisation sites. But then I used to furtle around on BBS' in the day before the internet... Gee, sometimes I miss Fido-Mail and the Maxximus boards.

I want the blog because of the shear volume of images and material on various subject matter that I want to post up and have some discussion on. I'd like to think it could be of help for others in the off-gridding, cabin, tiny house, cordwood home building areas...

Solar Power, Solar Water Heating,Composting Toilets & Grey Water systems, Cordwood Building, Cabin Building, Earth Sheltered Greenhouses, Permaculture... etc... I want to post my successes, failures, experiments (of which there are a few and many more to follow)... A Section of "Don't Do This - lessons learned" and such.

WordPress seems to be the direction I'm being drawn towards. Geez it has so much capability.

razmichael
# Posted: 19 Nov 2014 17:54

Quoting: Steve_S
WordPress seems to be the direction I'm being drawn towards. Geez it has so much capability.

My wife uses WP for her running blog. I set it for her but she does all the day to day stuff. Although it is very powerful it is also simple to use if you only want to keep things simple. Lots of plugins available and well supported. We have a family domain and web site which hosts the blog rather than local or the WP site. Can't offer any input into the other two apps.

I keep thinking I'll copy my build thread and more photos etc to a blog site. Not so much as a blog but more as a diary of the build.

Smawgunner
# Posted: 19 Nov 2014 18:01

Funny you mention this because I'm starting a blog too, not necessarily for others to follow but for me to document my progress and history of the land so when we pass it on, there is a record. I don't know anything but blogger and it suits my needs so that's what I'm using.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.