Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off Topic / Wolf-man caught on my trail camera
tfsimmons
# Posted: 2 Jan 2015 02:59

A couple years ago I took some 11-yr old scouts (including my son) up to my property for a camp-out. I also took up a laptop and the first evening I said "Hey, boys want to check my trail camera for some wildlife pictures?" So we went up to the camera and took out the card then sat around the camp fire looking at various pictures of wildlife on the laptop until we came upon this picture of the wolf-man! For a few seconds you could hear only crickets, followed by a few snickers from the scout leaders.
Then I pulled out the mask I had used when I went up the day before...
For some reason no one wandered away from camp that night, but the kids had a blast the next day playing with the mask!
Favorite scouting memories anyone?
Wolf-man
Wolf-man

RichInTheUSA
# Posted: 2 Jan 2015 06:38 - Edited by: RichInTheUSA

That's an awesome story. One they will never forget.

When my son was in cub scouts, I was a den leader... and we went to a pack bon-fire. The pack leadership (grown men for cub scouts) wanted to make sure the fire was going to light really well. You see they had one of the dads dressed up as an Indian, who was going to do an Indian fire dance, and then light the fire...

Well, these men decided to put kerosene on the wood pile in advance of the "Indian" doing the dance and then finally lighting it. Unfortunately, they also spilled kerosene in the field.

Anyhow... pretty sure you know where this is going.

Yep, the "Indian" did his fire dance, lit the fire, and the whole thing lit very fast.... as did all the surrounding grass, which then continued to spread across the field.

It was hilarious seeing the men all trying to stomp out the fire on the grass with their feet... it was if they all spontaneously joined in on the Indian fire dance!

We used this as a teaching moment, and had a serious conversation with the boys about never putting gasoline or kerosene on a fire.

My son is now 23... this is his most memorable scouting moment, and it's mine as well.

rmak
# Posted: 2 Jan 2015 09:43

Most memorable scout memory was winter camping. Exhilarating and uncomfortable at the same time.

SandyR
# Posted: 2 Jan 2015 12:52

We have Cub Scout winter camp tomorrow night for our youngest. He is a web 1

Mine was probably the bike trip that the Boy Scouts went on. They rode the length of the Erie Canal a few years ago and camped along the way. They asked random home owners along the way if our group could camp on their lawns. We swung from ropes into a creek at one place. I was very proud of our son for riding that many miles.

bobrok
# Posted: 2 Jan 2015 20:24

My son and his best friend went from Webelo all the way through HS in scouts together. As a result I had become best friends with the other dad also.
We wanted to do a father and son camping trip, sans the rest of the troup. The other kid's dad owned 5 acres of scrub, semi wild property five hours away, but that didn't deter us one bit. We packed up mom's minivan and headed out looking like the Clampetts with stuff strapped up on the roof and the overloaded springs sagging pitifully.
We had a perfect weekend and in fact since then this annual camping trip has come to be known as Perfect Weekend, or PW for short.
PW I was back in 1994 when the kids weren't even in high school.
Last year we celebrated PW XX on my buddy's land. Our sons are now 34 years old and refuse to give up this once a year tradition.
As long as we are able we plan to continue. Old scouts make great camps!

DaJTCHA
# Posted: 3 Jan 2015 14:36

When I was in scouts, one of the leaders had a bad snoring problem. I had never heard someone snore...Dad never did, but anyway...it was bed time and me and a couple other kids headed to the tents to sleep. Everyone else past out, but I was restless. The father in the tent a few feet away started sawing logs. At my age then, I was scared as hell! I flew out of the tent and to my father and other dads that were still awake (later I found out they were having a campfire party of their own that didn't involve drinking pop!)...my Dad made me bang sticks together and run around the fire to scare off the Big Bear that must be in the woods. They laughed hysterically at the time, but I didn't know why. When I found out, it wasn't funny...but with a little age, I can now find it humorous! LOL!

SE Ohio
# Posted: 4 Jan 2015 08:24

GREAT stunt! I might have to borrow that idea for my scouts.

The other year we heard a chorus of coyotes during our scout campout. One of the other leaders thought there must be a dog kennel nearby; I broke the news that they were coyotes. You should have seen all the big eyes of scouts and parents alike! Our astronomy lesson ended quickly and it was back inside. Nobody strayed that night either!

When I was a kid, we had an interesting incident on the way to a scout campout. One leader/driver dropped a cigarette out his window, and it came back in his back window. Our car procession had to stop to help him put out his carpet fire. Another memorable scouting adventure...

SandyR
# Posted: 4 Jan 2015 08:42

SE Ohio, did that teach the driver about the Leave No Trace motto or what?!

SE Ohio
# Posted: 26 May 2020 09:20

Our scout troop camped on some land we’d been to before. A rotating airport beacon could be seen flashing over the nearby ridge top at night, but no sound of planes.

One scout asked about the flashing light. Another leader and I proclaimed “Oh, that’s the prison’s warning light. They turn it on everytime there’s an escape. Dang it if they don’t have a revolving door over there. They’re always finding a way out of that max security place!”

You could hear crickets...

Then the scout asked with trepidation “How far away is it?”

“Oh, just the other side of the ridge, just a mile or so”.

Then one of the scout moms went pale and asked for more details...

“Oh, the prisoners usually go the other direction when they escape, towards town you know. If they were smart they’d come this way as they wouldn’t be found easily. No cell service over here, nobody could report ‘em”

We kept this going until all the scouts and some of the parents were showing signs of panic, but we couldn’t contain our laughter.

I may need to borrow that mask for next year...

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.