Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off Topic / What Is The Worst Weapon / Firearm You Ever Owned?
Tyler Danann
# Posted: 17 Jan 2015 08:25

here are some real howlers out there, even some of the 'modern' ones. Pistols, rifles, shotguns etc. Some can be[img=null]null[/img] diamonds while others are fit for the sledgehammer and a deep lake somewhere.

I'll start first with mine which I had in the 1990s and 2000s.

The L85A1 SA80.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vdjpegdqMo

These were a balls-up from the beginning. Poor quality plastic (I saw parts snap and come off like you wouldn't believe). The select-fire lever if accidentally pushed too far up (to just past 'R' setting) prevented the trigger re-setting (unless you flicked back from behind manually). The safety catch was not thumb operated, meaning you had to remove either your use your trigger finger or your other hand to activate/de-activate it.

Accuracy was good along with the SUSAT (ACOG-esque optical sight), but there was often 'play' or wobble between the upper and lower receiver. The sling was advanced and nice to use but it was a bit of a chinese puzzle to get used to.
It was shorter than the SLR but fired a .223 varmint round. No good for fighting with a bayonet and if you were left-handed there was no option but to fire it from your right shoulder, otherwise you got hot brass ejected into your face!

This rifle got pumped out en-mass for the British Army back in the 1980s and hardly anyone I know liked it. Many wanted the SLR brought back. Heckler and Koch did a minor parts upgrade in the early 2000s making it the L85A2 but it's fundimentally unfit for a total war. I hope this thing is out of service before we have one.

Well that's my little rant.

What's your worst firearm?

rmak
# Posted: 17 Jan 2015 09:14

I don't have fond memories of a Walther PPK I bought when the sharp edge of the slide deeply shredded my thumb the first few times I fired it. I didn't even notice until I felt something sticky on the handle. Then I saw my whole hand was a bloody mess.

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 17 Jan 2015 09:45

Mossberg 715 T.....the look alike AR 15 22cal
bought it at Walmart and sold it during the hype ( ammo gun shortage)....and made a few bucks/ add said polymer aka plastic...the gun was beyond cheaply made.

replaced it with a M&P 15- 22 cal...very well made and I have 6 ~~~30 round mags for it.

RichInTheUSA
# Posted: 17 Jan 2015 09:54

Rmac, all semi auto pistols will take your thumb knuckle off if your holding the gun with your top hand thumb wrapped around the primary hand. . This is one of the first thing taught in the NRA pistol class. OuCh !!!

rmak
# Posted: 17 Jan 2015 10:02

Sorry, Rich, but this was one-handed shooting. I qualified with the 45 cal. when I was in the Army and shot a lot of automatics (also took CC course). Maybe it was because the frame of the pistol was too small for my hand. I still have it in the attic and have shot it with care since. I have to laugh that you can't buy a ladder without 15 warning tags, but this came with no warning. It almost cut down to the bone.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 17 Jan 2015 11:31

I have never owned what I would consider a bad weapon. I have never purchased a cheapo unit. The lowest cost unit I have is a Mossberg 12 gauge pump, but its a nice shotgun in appearance and function. I guess I'm saying I have no bad ones, just many that are better than others.

SE Ohio
# Posted: 17 Jan 2015 12:11

Someone left an old (ancient?) Savage bolt action .22 at one of my step-father's rentals back in the mid-70's. One had to hand-insert each .22 shell, which was okay for a free gun, I guess. But there was no safety, and no serial number on this gun. It took a very strong grip to pull back the knob at rear of the bolt to cock the gun (pretty much child and adult proof), and once cocked, a tug or tap at the bolt would make the gun fire. No trigger pull required. I gave this gun away.

Tyler Danann
# Posted: 17 Jan 2015 14:27

Quoting: turkeyhunter
Mossberg 715 T.....the look alike AR 15 22cal
bought it at Walmart and sold it during the hype ( ammo gun shortage)....and made a few bucks/ add said polymer aka plastic...the gun was beyond cheaply made.

They aren't bad carbines, fiddly to take apart but mine is very reliable too. 25 round magazines but there you go.

Tarmetto
# Posted: 17 Jan 2015 17:03

Taurus 941, stainless 4" .22wrm revolver. Spent cases were near impossible to eject. Taurus fixed it, then it was a good revolver, but then Ruger brought the .22lr SP101 back into production so the Taurus got replaced.
99.9% of the rest of my collection was made by Ruger...they don't give trouble .
On the flip side...I shoot my Springfield XDS45 3.3 better than anything I own...just added the 4" version to my collection.

Tarmetto
# Posted: 17 Jan 2015 17:05

Quoting: Tyler Danann
They aren't bad carbines, fiddly to take apart but mine is very reliable too. 25 round magazines but there you go.

I have the CMMG .22 version (not the conversion upper...factory carbine). It eats any ammo. REALLY fun to shoot suppressed!

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 18 Jan 2015 11:47

Quoting: Tarmetto
Taurus 941, stainless 4" .22wrm revolver. Spent cases were near impossible to eject. Taurus fixed it, then it was a good revolver

I think I have that exact model too. Its a 9 shot. I have never shot it. Better make sure the cases can be extracted I guess.

old243
# Posted: 18 Jan 2015 12:10

I guess the rifle that I have been the most dissatisfied and the happiest with , if that makes any sense. I s my model 100 Winchester. It is a 308 autoloader , when it doesn't jam it is a dream to hunt and shoot with, nice to carry , with a foolproof peep sight is very accurate. When it jams , it has been in danger of being wrapped around a tree. I think dirt, moisture and improper cleaning is the biggest fault, and this rests on my shoulders. On the other hand it has kept my freezer full of venison over the years. All the more incentive to make the first shot count. old243

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 18 Jan 2015 12:38

How come you dont use the "old 243"???

Smawgunner
# Posted: 18 Jan 2015 14:49 - Edited by: Smawgunner

Taurus PT111 9mm. It's a DAO but the trigger feels like a 40lb pull over just shy of 1/8 mile long! Feels great in your hand and never had any jams or misfires but could not get over the trigger feel.

Beretta Bobcat .22...jam after jam

Para-Ordance P12 .45. LOVED this gun but lots of jams brand new. I put plenty of rounds through it. May have needed some smithing and I probably didn't give it a chance.

hueyjazz
# Posted: 18 Jan 2015 15:30

Hands down a Italian Carcano 1891. Both ammo and gun were unreliable. This thing should have said Mattel but that would mean it would have been better built. Equal chance of the firing or blowing up. Very weak construction for a military gun.

It amazes me that a county that makes some of the world's finest firearms equip their armies with such junk

Malamute
# Posted: 18 Jan 2015 19:04

I had a Springfield Armory 1911 once that turned into a terrible jam-o-matic. It was fine for about the first 500 rds, then started to choke regularly. I tried different magazines, different extractor, and other things. Nobody locally could figure it out. I could rarely get through one magazine without an ejection failure (stovepipe). I ended up trading it off. I really wanted to send it cartwheeling out in the river, but didnt. The Colts I've had in the past all worked very well.

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 18 Jan 2015 21:41 - Edited by: turkeyhunter

I HAD a Browning Buckmark..that would jam every other shot. It has a new owner now

RichInTheUSA
# Posted: 18 Jan 2015 21:44

Rmac... glad to hear it wasn't the support hand wrapped around issue. I shouldn't have assumed it.

Hopefully you are completely healed! Thank you for your military service as well!

22hemi13
# Posted: 18 Jan 2015 22:08

Just sold mine. Couldn't find any ammo it liked. Ftf and ffe every other round. Bought a 12g self defense shotgun👍

silverwaterlady
# Posted: 18 Jan 2015 23:45

A can of bear spray that went off in our truck.

old243
# Posted: 19 Jan 2015 00:01

toyoto, My Winchester model 100 was the one I had problems with. As far as my old savage model 110L, 243 I have never had a problem with it . Purchased in 1961 my last year in school, I am 73 this year. Topped with a leopold VX2 3-9 x50 scope, you can probably imagine how much use it has had. old243

Tyler Danann
# Posted: 19 Jan 2015 00:23

Speaking of heavy triggers. I was at a LGS and they had a rare HK VP 70 in the case.

Ever since the film Aliens and Cherry 2000 I wanted a look at one up close.

It's polymer, futuristic, the first polymer gun in the world (before Glock!), hammerless BUT...

The Trigger pull is INSANE! It's that hard your point-of-aim shifts slightly with the effort to make it go bang!
Turns out they designed this pistol around being a 3 round burst machine-pistol (complete with shoulder stock). For civilians through, unless you like shooting a semi-auto with a stock all the time, the trigger is a big let-down.

It had a tag on it for $700 second-hand and was sold when I went back a month or so later...

spoofer
# Posted: 19 Jan 2015 08:38

I had an AMT Police Backup in 380. cal. I think it was a 7 or 8 shot auto. It would always eject a live round with the spent round, so it was really a 4 shot. Some police back-up huh...

LoonWhisperer
# Posted: 20 Jan 2015 12:08

For me, a GSG 1911 .22LR pistol. Total jam-o-matic! FTF, stovepipes etc.

countryred
# Posted: 20 Jan 2015 20:34

I had a remington 7400 6mm and I could not hit the broad side of a barn with it. Tried different scopes, etc...

Salty Craig
# Posted: 20 Jan 2015 21:45

Taurus .357 mag. Piece of crap miss fired 1-2 shots per cylinder full. Total junk. It got replaced with a Ruger sp101 that has never miss fired. Will never own another Taurus.

Salty

MI drew
# Posted: 21 Jan 2015 20:26 - Edited by: MI drew

Quoting: rmak
I don't have fond memories of a Walther PPK I bought when the sharp edge of the slide deeply shredded my thumb the first few times I fired it. I didn't even notice until I felt something sticky on the handle. Then I saw my whole hand was a bloody mess.

Agreed... The PPK is just painful to shoot with larger hands. Funny, my Bersa shoots like a champ and never ever came back to bite me. Good thing I shot the PPK before I bought it.

Flying Wrench
# Posted: 27 Jan 2015 11:25

Quoting: spoofer
I had an AMT Police Backup in 380. cal.

The first handgun that I bought was an AMT .380 Backup. I've never had it eject live rounds along with spent cases, but it is definitely a jam-o-matic. Also, with the top-mounted extractor, it throws a lot of spent cases at my face. Shooting it is like hitting my hand with a 2x2, and I had a bruise on the web of my hand the last time I took it to the range.

I still have it though.

KinAlberta
# Posted: 22 Feb 2015 11:36

My sling shot. I fired rocks into my thumb I don't know how many times!

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.