Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off Topic / stockpiling foods
<< . 1 . 2 .
cabingal3
# Posted: 6 Apr 2015 09:36

silverwaterlady.i have used those beans before and loved how easy it was to use them.thank u so much for letting me know they are at Costco.i love this idea.
i also have lots of dutch ovens.i dream of cooking a pot of beans or venison roast over the camp fire in the winter when we are burning when the snows arrived.
goood goood ideas!.thanks for all this talk of stockpiles.
this morning the roads are pretty much frozen up in our woods.would be wise to have a little stockpile .

Malamute
# Posted: 6 Apr 2015 13:35

Quoting: turkeyhunter
Also get a coleman stove that burns liquid fuel....the newer ones burn aka unleaded gas...which will be cheap cooking

Yes, the Coleman dual fuel stoves can burn unleaded, though after using it in my lantern, I gave it up and decided that the extra cost of the Caleman white gas was worthwhile over the fumes the unleaded fuel put out. if using them outside, it wouldnt make much difference. Inside, it did to me, same as using kerosene VS lamp oil. I like the cleaner burn and its worth the trade off in paying extra.

RE propane, if you get it delivered to your large outside tank, it costs about half of what it does to refill bottles or do the bottle trades at walmart or wherever. I have a 250 gal tank. It does my bathroom water heater and my kitchen stove. I can generally get a year out of a fill-up. If I only turned the bathroom water heater on from pilot before I took a bath, it would probably extend the propane a bit.

cabingal3
# Posted: 6 Apr 2015 15:22

do u have to have any kind of permit Malamute to get the larger sizes of propane tanks delivered to your place?

Malamute
# Posted: 6 Apr 2015 19:48 - Edited by: Malamute

Not here. Other places may. The propane company just has to be able to drive to the location to drop the tank. They are just like the 500 gal tanks more common at houses, but are smaller.

When I was living in my motorhome while building, I had a 100 gallon tank. It looked just like the larger tanks, but could use a plain rubber above ground hose, I didnt have to trench the line in. I think it was considered a temporary hookup because of the size. It sure beat trying to live by getting bottles or the largish, unweildly tanks to town and filled for the higher price.

When I've done propane setups, theyd give me the line to bury (a whole roll of line with one riser end attached), then they come do the hookup. Some places I think they just want the trench done and they drop the line in and hook it up. If getting the line to do it yourself, be sure they give you the locate wire also.

Tank rent has been something like $45/year. Its really nice not having to worry about running out, hauling bottles, etc. Keep in mind, if the tank does run out, you can disconnect the line at the tank valve and use a bottle to get by until they get there or the road opens or whatever.

cabingal3
# Posted: 6 Apr 2015 23:04

wow.thats a really grand cost.thanks Malamute.

<< . 1 . 2 .
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.