Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off Topic / Memorial Day
MtnDon
# Posted: 22 May 2015 10:41

Let us remember why we in the USA celebrate Memorial Day. Not just another holiday, but a day of remembrance for those who have died in service of the United States of America.

Memorial Day was borne out of the Civil War and a desire to honor our dead. It was officially proclaimed on 5 May 1868 by General John Logan, national commander of the Grand Army of the Republic. "The 30th of May, 1868, is designated for the purpose of strewing with flowers, or otherwise decorating the graves of comrades who died in defense of their country during the late rebellion, and whose bodies now lie in almost every city, village and hamlet churchyard in the land," he proclaimed.

The date of Decoration Day, as he called it, was chosen because it wasn't the anniversary of any particular battle.

upndown
# Posted: 22 May 2015 11:44

A big heart felt Thank You to all who have served and are serving today!

bobrok
# Posted: 22 May 2015 22:42

Well said, you two.

bldginsp
# Posted: 24 May 2015 22:30

The hardware store in the little town nearby my property always puts out a display in the storefront on Memorial Day weekend. It's dozens of framed photographs of service persons going back many years, all from the local area. Quite impressive.

rmak
# Posted: 25 May 2015 07:47

I lost friends in combat when I was in the central highlands in 1969. Every day is a mini-memorial day for me since I think of my fallen brothers and the circumstances of their passing that often. I believe and recommend that after the parades and speeches all of you have a great day filled with happiness. Only by living your life to the fullest, exercising your liberty and pursuing happiness do you honor their sacrifice completely. Have a cookout. Take a walk. Talk to that friend or neighbor who you haven't seen lately. watch the sunset with someone you love. That's how I intend to observe this Memorial Day.

bobrok
# Posted: 25 May 2015 09:13 - Edited by: bobrok

I visited my mom, dad and grandparents at the cemetery yesterday. It was absolutely beautiful, on a high hill with a commanding view, a strong breeze blowing in the warm cloudless blue sky.
Rows of monuments shining in the sunlight, bright flowers adorning almost every stone.
But most impressive to me were the rows and rows of American flags, including dad's, all identical in size and placement, standing at full attention in that aforesaid breeze.
I had a nice visit with everyone.
And I salute all veterans.

Gary O
# Posted: 25 May 2015 11:17

Well said, everyone.

upndown
# Posted: 25 May 2015 23:39

"Yesterday's history,
Tomorrow's a mistery,
Today is a gift!
That's why it's called the Present"

A little something my son shared with me. I just thought today it kinda felt appropriate.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.