Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off Topic / learning new skills
cabingal3
# Posted: 1 Jul 2015 09:35

my friends hubby just past away.
she and i were talking about what shes gonna do now.
then it turned to me.what would u do if your hubby past away?
she said u cant stay in the woods.
i thought "why cant i?"she said u surely dont think u could do all Gary O does!
so i got to thinking about what basics he could teach me so i could be able to survive out here if need be.
mainly it was the maintaince of the generators i would think.
so i asked him if he could teach me to change the oil and put gasoline in them.
he showed me.not too hard.sort of scary.
i can crochet,knit and garden,can and make a great loaf of homemade bread but i stay away from alot of so called mens stuff.
so i found out what i need in oil weight and what kind of gasoline to keep running the generators so i could at least get water and have lights and such to the cabins.
next time i change the oil in the generators.sort of scary but i can do it i think...
what skills has your husband shown u ?

bldginsp
# Posted: 1 Jul 2015 14:15

High praises to any women that want to get handy and work with tools!

But, it's one thing to know how to change the generator oil, and it's another to know what to do when the generator won't start.

Your husband would be lost at the first crochet loop or making a loaf a bread (maybe, maybe not). But that's because he hasn't spent years doing it. In a heartbeat he'd know how to assess the generator problem and know if he can fix it or not. Cause he's been there. Done that.

First thing I'd do with a woman at my place is put her in the tractor seat and show her how to clear snow. Cause she's gonna have to do it sometime.

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 1 Jul 2015 15:35

Quoting: cabingal3
my friends hubby just past away

I read it as "my friends"... hubby just passed away!!!!

HOLLY cow...I almost thought we lost Gary O...I was like damn..he did even get to enjoy his retirement or spend one winter in the woods!!! Glad ya still kickin GaryO

...sorry for the loss of you friends husband.

You can learn a lot from your spouse....pay attention Gary O..lol...Cabi will teach ya something!!!!

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 1 Jul 2015 15:42

Well, I know while I was away last weekend at the cabin, wife called and said dryer quit. If I was deceased, she would of bought a new dryer. I came home, twisted the knob and knew instantly by the feel the knob was split on the stem by the feel. Went online and for $20, new part will be in today.

She would be crippled without me.

littlehouseontheprarie
# Posted: 1 Jul 2015 16:12

I am one lucky guy.My wife is a mechanical genius.
We owned a custom chopper shop for 8 years.She is a certified
Harley mechanic and nothing is too hard for her to figure out when it comes to mechanics.

But give her a saw a tape measure and a 2x4 and she will never cut a straight line and never get the length right.

We all have skills its just they are different.I learn form her and she learns from me.We make a great team.

hattie
# Posted: 1 Jul 2015 17:21 - Edited by: hattie

When Bob had his cardiac arrest in 2011 it really brought home to me "what would I do if he hadn't survived?" He does all the finances, yard work and fixing things.

Now during the winter months when our business is slow, I always sit down with him and go over our finances and how to do things. I actually have a file folder that I have made notes in to show me how to do various things.

I could cut the grass but weed wacking would be beyond what my back can handle. Realistically I would probably have to hire someone to come and do it occasionally for me. As far as fixing things, I can do basic stuff, but most things would be trashed and replaced I'm afraid.

I would also have to close down our motel because I couldn't look after it alone and it wouldn't be worth hiring someone to do it with me.

I've had countless sleepless nights stressing about this and come to the conclusion that you just can't plan for what will happen. I want to be as prepared as I can, but beyond that, what will happen, will happen. I don't ever want to move from here but some things are beyond our control and there comes a point you just need to have faith that you will be alright. If I did stay here I think I would turn into a hermit.

cabingal3
# Posted: 1 Jul 2015 19:03

Quoting: bldginsp
But, it's one thing to know how to change the generator oil, and it's another to know what to do when the generator won't start.

ohh..very good point bldginsp...very good point.i will ask gar about this...thanks alot.

cabingal3
# Posted: 1 Jul 2015 19:04

Quoting: turkeyhunter
HOLLY cow...I almost thought we lost Gary O...I was like damn..he did even get to enjoy his retirement or spend one winter in the woods!!! Glad ya still kickin GaryO

hee hee. Gary O is very much alive and well.
lol...thanks turkeyhunter.
we are gonna make it thru winter and praying for a few seasons past winter.

cabingal3
# Posted: 1 Jul 2015 19:05

Quoting: toyota_mdt_tech
She would be crippled without me.

haa haa haa.thats so funny...

cabingal3
# Posted: 1 Jul 2015 19:08

Quoting: hattie
I've had countless sleepless nights stressing about this and come to the conclusion that you just can't plan for what will happen. I want to be as prepared as I can, but beyond that, what will happen, will happen. I don't ever want to move from here but some things are beyond our control and there comes a point you just need to have faith that you will be alright. If I did stay here I think I would turn into a hermit.

hattie i am sure happy your dear hubby is still with u and all is well.
there is things beyond our control but...i think there is some things i can learn just in case...
it sure wont hurt to learn some stuff.
if i was here alone.
i would just turn on the oil lamps.and order my fire wood.no problems.
i sure do have faith not to worry but just to try to do what i can and learn a bit more i think...
thanks for all the good thoughts guys.

Gary O
# Posted: 1 Jul 2015 20:37 - Edited by: Gary O

Quoting: bldginsp
Your husband would be lost at the first crochet loop or making a loaf a bread

Hey, I know stuff...even though I'm no longer let near the kitchen.

Akshly, I could teach home ec.

I mean, for instance, the kitchen table, it just takes up room when there's a sink.

If there's more forks, knives, spoons, bowls, plates, cups than family members, something is wrong.
Say there's just you; one knife (preferably a hunting knife) one fork, one spoon, one bowl...no dish...remember there's a sink.....no glass, buy 1/2 gal liquids with the handles (duh)...and a frying (now dining) pan...keeps the steak hot while over the sink.

Napkins, dish towels???
Answer; shop towels...ardy stained, and it's prolly in yer back pocket right now.
other answer; sleeves, pants.

Most fridges have a huge drawer for delaying the decaying process of heads and stalks of things. Can't be in there more than three months...pretty sure.
This, menfolks, is the 'rotter'
Answer; remove rotter drawer...presto; beer shelf

Moldy cheese?
Cut off and feed the mold to the dog.
Save the cheese for guests.
If the block of cheese becomes the size of a matchbook, you should be eating more cheese.

Old bread?
Answer; there is no old bread. It's just pre-toast.

Leftovers;
Answer; whatever is in the rotter, sprinkled liberally with cheese.....on pre-toast.
Presto; pizza
Call friends over.
Why call friends over? Because now you have enough beer.

I know, I know, yer doing head slaps now.

Hey, I didn't learn this stuff overnight.

Wait

It was overnight...whilst she was sleeping

silverwaterlady
# Posted: 1 Jul 2015 20:49

I went to truck driving school and learned to drive a semi. I retired with 1.3 million safe driving miles and 13 years accident free. I was afraid learning to drive. But I did it because I had a dream I wanted to come true...building a cabin.

I think a women can learn how to do the things she needs to do to survive and so can a man. One just needs to want to do it,make a plan and execute that plan.

hattie
# Posted: 1 Jul 2015 22:22

silverwaterlady - you are an inspiration!!!!!

cabingal3
# Posted: 1 Jul 2015 22:34

silverwaterlady.that is amazing.
i did not drive till i was about 47 yrs old.i felt too scared cause there was too many nuts out there.
i sure do think u are right on...thanks for your post.

darz5150
# Posted: 1 Jul 2015 23:27 - Edited by: darz5150

Quoting: Gary O
Akshly, I could teach home ec.

After reading your post, I must admit I immediately flashed back to '78 and home ec. class( what a great way to hang out with girls! )
You reminded me of my teacher " Ms. Cleaver " although her mustache was a little different than yours.
I commend you for your philosophical and broad minded approach when it comes to kitchen supplies and maintenance!!!! You sir, If I may say so, have a very common sense/realistic approach to solving every day kitchen endeavors! LOL
The only thing I might add to your post is to have your dog lick the skillet and plate before doing the dishes. On a modern electric dishwasher I think they call it the Pre- Wash!

Gary O
# Posted: 1 Jul 2015 23:47

Quoting: darz5150
have your dog lick the skillet and plate before doing the dishes.

note to self; find out what this 'doing the dishes' deal is

darz5150
# Posted: 1 Jul 2015 23:50 - Edited by: darz5150

I stand corrected. I have tried it a few times, it works pretty good on the skillet, but when I rinse the paper plates, they keep clogging up my drain.

creeky
# Posted: 2 Jul 2015 09:15

I was visiting my grandmother the year after my grandfather passed away.

She said to me of the chores that used to be his domain, "he was always so reluctant to go under the house to turn off the water for the winter and made a big deal of what a hard job it was. When I did it last fall I found out it was easy. You just shuffled along in the dirt and then turned a valve handle."

Turns out gramps was claustrophobic.

skootamattaschmidty
# Posted: 2 Jul 2015 09:33

There are a few intricacies to opening the cabin and getting things up and running. The same for when we leave. I typed up an instruction sheet or "how to" sheet for my wife and kids to follow. Sometimes when we go up I take care of unloading while my wife gets things up and running, just to give her the confidence to do it herself. She still has not gone up by herself or with her friends, but if she wanted, I'm confident she could figure things out.
I have been at the cabin many times by myself and my wife texts me to say this won't work or that won't work at home but she has become very resourceful with the Google machine and is able to figure things out on her own.

bldginsp
# Posted: 2 Jul 2015 14:27

GaryO- the dishes thing is akshly purty eezy ta figger out. I only wash the dishes I need, and right before I need them. Keep it simple.

Gary O
# Posted: 2 Jul 2015 23:24 - Edited by: Gary O

'dishes'...interesting

OK, hardcore

An important note on these kitchen guidelines;
When dining over the sink, be sure to keep the tap on full blast.
This to aid in the passing of, ohhh, saaay, a wad of half masticated pinto beans.
And if they still get all caught up in that (what I believe to be) very unnecessary strainer thingy, just push them through the little holes with yer finger spoon.

One more note, before I tell aaaaaallllll my culinary secrets (book three);
There really is no real reason for that 'S' trap under yer sink when on city water.
And no need for a garbage disposal.
Straight pipe...boom....food droppings arrive at destination sewer.
Same with the toilet (duh).

Stay tuned for next week's tip involving kitchen cabinets and their many uses.
Or, rather; where ammo is conveniently stored when hosting rude relatives.

Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 3 Jul 2015 04:15

LOL!!!!!

Ah, we men and women just think differently about things. Like the generator, for instance. Prissy little me thinks, "Gasoline? Oil? Carb cleaning? Oh no. Propane generator!" I actually HAVE been known to fix things with a nail file. And I have some pink tools, tee-hee!

It's been a lot of years since I lost my husband young to cancer and I had to raise my son alone so I've had to do it all for a long time. But my mum and dad taught me lessons they didn't even know I was learning about how it was important for both parties to discuss purchases that both were comfortable with and could maintain in a pinch. That served me well when I was part of a couple and made me think about what I bought for my house when I was solely responsible! And it continues to be a big benefit.

So I'll be living in the woods alone and everything going into this cabin has to be stuff that's Julie-friendly. I guess that's a plus, in a way. But it's why I ask so many questions, pick y'all's brains, do so much research, and go all over the place sometimes with my "what-ifs," lol. Not being very "mechanically inclined," I need to seek some of the more simple solutions to our most common challenges.

We can do it, ladies! I enjoy puzzles, and living off-the-grid provides a wide assortment of them to solve or put together!

cabingal3
# Posted: 3 Jul 2015 20:22

yes.one of the things is the propane tanks.unconnecting them.
hard for my hands to do.
i know i can live out here alone...and be fine.
mostly i just need to be able to maintain the generator for getting water.thats the main thing.
i am so glad my friend whose hubby past away has brought this situation up to my mind.
now i am looking about thinking...well i need to know how to do this or that.
the great thing is.all of my childhood family all never made it out of their 50's! but i have.
Gary O's family all live close to 100.so i guess i am ok.lol

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.