Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off Topic / sounds of Sunday
creeky
# Posted: 12 Jul 2015 09:33

Where I live in the country, while the houses are few and far between, the sound also carries. Down the river. Across the fields.

On Sunday, by unspoken decree, there's a quietude. The birds sing. The breeze shakes the tree leaves. This morning the loudest sound is the frogs.

Until about eleven. Sooner or later one guy/gal who has company coming and couldn't get to the weeding or lawn mowing or whatever, breaks down and starts up some noisy contraption or another.

and it's like a signal. i'm waiting to start up my tractor (I've got a bunch of stuff that has to be moved before guests arrive next weekend) and as a bachelor I have a lot of catching up to do. the next guy starts his lawn mower. Another guy gets his chainsaw out.

And for two or three hours we'll talk to each other via gas motor operated appliances.

ya know I look forward to when we use electrical motors pretty much exclusively just for the quiet it will bring back to our lives. but I will miss the comradeship of the Sunday chorus.

Ah. I hear a lawnmower, but it's only 9:30. Must have company coming for lunch. Now there's a tractor starting up. Gotta go.

rmak
# Posted: 12 Jul 2015 10:00

We have the same understanding on the country road we live on. It's nice. Wife and I discuss noise and light pollution a lot.
We certainly don't need any more laws, but having a cut off time for mowing in the evening would be wonderful.

I was a motorcyclist for 45 years. Ironically, now the most irritating thing for me are the loud pipe Harleys that rumble down the road at all hours.

The car dealerships in our small town are lit up like a Christmas tree every night. To us, that's light pollution. Around here the biggest offenders are those halogen barn lights that light everything up. My wife finally had the guts to ask our neighbor to get a shrouded light when his burnt out. It really worked out well. His immediate area is lit for safety but we don't get the glare.

Ending on a positive note, it's a great thing when people respect each other and set aside times of quiet. I love Sunday mornings.

hueyjazz
# Posted: 12 Jul 2015 19:02

Well, about 3:00 PM by my my cabin there's a bunch of loud crying.
The witching hour of packing up and going back to the city.
Only other noise pollution is birds, frogs and bass jumping.

cabingal3
# Posted: 12 Jul 2015 20:03

we had the chainsaw going for a while...
then its just birds.lots of birds.winds.
love it up here.

Martian
# Posted: 12 Jul 2015 20:39

Sadly to say, I was the first to break the Sunday morning silence. Yesterday, we started the addition of a room by beginning the removal of the existing bump-out. Tomorrow is a work day. The screech of nails being pulled from dry wood pierced the air earlier than I would have appreciated.

creeky
# Posted: 13 Jul 2015 08:27

turned out the lawnmower went off right as I got outside and the tractor was just my 'magination running away with me.

but around two the farmer came by and baled the field in front of my winter bedroom. so I got my Sunday chore done.

Martian. I think everybody is cool with construction noise. It's nice to preserve the sanctity of Sunday morning (I've noticed the lawnmowers etc typically start around 11, about the time themz folks missus are in church). But yaz gotta do what yaz gotta do.

rmak I hear ya on the pipes. when i bought my truck, second hand, it came with blAT bLAT pipes. i've since replaced them and whew. what a joy to have a quiet truck.

and huey thanks for the laugh. Mom what bird goes whaaaaaa! whaaaaa! That's no bird, that's your father at the end of the weekend son.

cabingal. my migrating birds are mostly fledged and gone. but I've got waxwings nesting here this year for the first time. they have a wonderful trill. we also have lots of vireos for some reason. so many songs. as I close my eyes and listen I hear at least 4 species.

we are blessed.

Salty Craig
# Posted: 13 Jul 2015 18:04

On Sunday I rest. It's a day of peace. The animals rest. I don't hunt. I appreciate the silence to listen to nature. I don't mow. I don't hammer. I hike. I nap. I visit with friends. I will leave religion out of it so no one is offended.

Salty

Jebediah
# Posted: 18 Dec 2015 13:12

My cabin, no man made noises, hunting isn't allowed on Sundays, no motors allowed on my lake, too many rocks anyway and no flight path above. If the frogs are too loud at night I just lay on my right ear as I'm deaf in the other lol. Now my residence in Eastern Passage Nova Scotia, its 600 duplexes/semis, crammed in like sardines. There is no peace, lawn mowers, weedwackers, back yard mechanics and everyone owns a dog, 75% are constant barkers. Fireworks going off every night in the summer, stereo's, car doors slamming, its endless. And I live at the "quite" end.

NorthRick
# Posted: 18 Dec 2015 17:53

Ours is a weekend cabin. And, being a cabin, there is always something to do. Eliminating Sundays from days you can work is not happening.

I am often the first one to start making a racket. I do try to start with quieter tasks first, but eventually I'm going to fire up a chainsaw, nail gun, snowmachine, etc. Sorry, just the way it is.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.