Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off Topic / Weather in No. CA/So. OR these days?
Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 10 Oct 2015 15:46

It's still near 90 degrees here where I live in TX and I'm trying to assemble appropriate clothing and such for San Francisco, Northern Cali, and Southern Oregon. I've got my land location in OR fixed on my phone's weather app and it looks like a pretty steady high 60s, low 70s daytime and 30s at night. Oh, how I'm going to appreciate this break from the wretched heat!

I'm going to be traveling around a bit, though. Crater Lake, for instance, and two days in San Fran. I guess my big question is, are the nights downright cold on the West Coast now so I need to carry along a winter jacket? Or will packing a wool sweater or sweatshirt I can throw on suffice?

I'll be lingering in San Francisco for a couple of hours when I arrive, waiting for the link to the Coast Starlight train up to Oregon. I'd rather not stand out like a sore thumb by being inappropriately dressed, lol.

upndown
# Posted: 10 Oct 2015 19:44

"The coldest winter I ever saw was the summer I spent in San Francisco"
Mark Twain
Enjoy your trip Julie!

Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 10 Oct 2015 20:14

LOL, upndown. Thanks!

Funny story: We relocated to Texas from New Hampshire for my work and were, obviously, used to bitterly cold weather and lots of snow. When the first Texas "Norther" blew in, we were amused to see people running around wearing parkas and gloves. But then I got a call from the school nurse at my son's elementary school asking my permission to contact the "Coats for Kids" program at the Salvation Army on our behalf. I was puzzled and asked her why she would do that when he had a coat -- a few of them, in fact. And she was puzzled as to why he wasn't wearing one. I said, "Well, because it's not really cold!" She insisted it was. The conversation ended with both of us laughing.

upndown
# Posted: 10 Oct 2015 21:08

I grew up in Illinois, moved to AZ in 1979. Don't do the cold well any longer. At the cabin it can dip below freezing at night, the way I dress up there, people look at me like I'm from another planet! I are a complete woosie. Lol

Gary O
# Posted: 11 Oct 2015 00:33

Quoting: Julie2Oregon
I'd rather not stand out like a sore thumb by being inappropriately dressed, lol.

Wear the warm stuff early morn, then peal it off as needed from 10a to 6p, then start puttin' it back on.....

Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 11 Oct 2015 01:38

Gary O
Well, my plane touches down in San Fran about 4:30 p.m. so I'll miss most of the molting, anyway. I'll just look like a dork in Texas. Nothing new there, lol.

Thank you!

Gary O
# Posted: 11 Oct 2015 01:48

No worries
I'll be the ol' guy in the cargo pants and coat uniform
There's a few dozen of us sprinkled throughout Oregon

bldginsp
# Posted: 11 Oct 2015 08:40

I'm in the south Bay Area near San Jose, and thus far it's been a very warm October. Always cooler in SF because of the fog. You definitely want that winter jacket on hand for cool mornings in SF, but elsewhere it's Indian Summer. I'm still in shorts and Hawaiian shirt all day down here in Santa Clara. Can't speak for Oregon, but generally here on the left coast it's pretty as a picture until the Pacific storms come in, contradicting the name 'Pacific'. Once the storms start the temp drops and the rain starts. No rain in the forecast. Have a nice trip on the Coast Starlight.

bobrok
# Posted: 11 Oct 2015 13:01

Quoting: Julie2Oregon
I'll just look like a dork in Texas.

LOL!
That so reminds me of picking up friends from up north at the airports in Florida when they visit us during winter.
And pale and white as ghosts to boot!
LOL!

Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 12 Oct 2015 20:06

LOL, upndown. I don't do the "extremes" well these days, be it extreme heat or extreme cold. A lot of that has to do with my Lupus. Both types of "extreme" for extended periods set off crippling inflammation for me, grrr. Seven months of wretched heat every year is killing me. Pretty much literally. I can do cold better than heat, though, because you can always wear more and warmer clothing. There's only so much you can shed!

I'll find you and Cabi, GaryO! So looking forward to seeing y'all!!!

Bldginsp, I've read about the SF fog and the propensity toward airline fog delays, which is why I booked an afternoon flight but also allowed myself several hours between arrival and the train connection! I hope I have some time to wander around a bit, though, and get the lay of the land for when I get back and have the time to do the sightseeing bit.

I'm hoping for pretty and no storms! Thank you for your good wishes!

LOL, bobrok! At least I do have some color. And no intention of arriving in San Fran wearing a hat, Lone Star western shirt, boots, and spurs, like a Texas cliché, hahahahaha! Although, if I were feeling brave and quirky these days, that's exactly what I WOULD do and have a hidden cam filming the reactions!

upndown
# Posted: 12 Oct 2015 20:47

Daisey Dukes and boots gets um every time!

Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 14 Oct 2015 03:50

upndown
Oh, I think the sight of me in Daisy Dukes might blind people, lol. Or make them wish they were blind, hahaha! I wear jean shorts but not THAT short!

Leaving for the airport in about 6 hours, too excited to sleep!

upndown
# Posted: 14 Oct 2015 10:18

Enjoy your well deserved journey!

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.