Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off Topic / On grid living, helicopter line trimming
Don_P
# Posted: 16 Oct 2015 09:29 - Edited by: Don_P

The chopper line trimmer has been working the mountain this week. This must be what cropduster pilots do when that gets boring. That is one very active ride.

The cutterhead has basically a lawnmower engine running a bar of 10 sawblades. That is hung from the helicopter, it cuts quite well. He does have a dump switch if it gets really hung up but I noticed when he gets a saw hung he jiggles the chopper and it usually can cut enough to free itself.
choppertrim_zoom1.jp.jpg
choppertrim_zoom1.jp.jpg
choptrim_014.JPG
choptrim_014.JPG
choppertrim_zoom3.jp.jpg
choppertrim_zoom3.jp.jpg
choptrim_002.JPG
choptrim_002.JPG

bldginsp
# Posted: 16 Oct 2015 20:16

Do you think I can get them to trim my hedges?

MtnDon
# Posted: 16 Oct 2015 20:55

I showed that to a friend,an Army chopper pilot. He thought it looked like great fun.

hattie
# Posted: 17 Oct 2015 12:29

That looks terrifying. I wouldn't want to be anywhere on the ground when they were doing that!!!

Don_P
# Posted: 17 Oct 2015 19:16

Actually I walked down to where the ground crew parked by that last pole with the transformer. He does an amazing job controlling that thing. He was working within about 5 feet of the pole. I've been down there cleaning up, cutting brush down and making windrows of the debris. I might just take those trees and mill them. They were about 20' tall when we bought the place. The last time they did that to some pines they died within a couple of years. I was walking down there one day and realized bugs were just bouncing off of me. I stopped and took notice and realized thousands of black turpentine beetles in a cloud were working over one of the dead pines. The bark fell off that winter.

neb
# Posted: 17 Oct 2015 19:29

Interesting. I'm in the line trade for 35 years and that is the most efficient way. Thanks

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.