Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off Topic / Canning jar boxes
Don_P
# Posted: 8 Dec 2015 22:45 - Edited by: Don_P

I was trying to clean up some shorts and scraps of white pine in the shop and this seems to be a good use. They hold a dozen quart jars. From the brands we had it looked like anything could fit in an interior area of 11-1/4" wide x 15" long.

In the first pic is an end panel being drilled for the handle. The panel is 11-1/4" wide x 9-1/4" tall. The "frame" is 1"x1-1/4" material, the panel is 3/4" material, I used 1-1/2" staples and glue throughout.

Second pic is what they look like. The sides are 1/2" material 18-1/2" long, I cut that a little long and belt sand flush. The sides are 9-1/4" tall.
The bottoms are two pieces of the 1x1-1/4" stock cut to 11-1/4" with 15"long x 1/2" thick boards on top. Everything was rounded over with a 1/4" radius bit and sanded after assembly, oh except the inside of the handle slot is routed and sanded prior to assembly. Anyway, a better way to move them around and store jars than the original cardboard boxes.
boxhandle.jpg
boxhandle.jpg
boxstack.jpg
boxstack.jpg

bldginsp
# Posted: 8 Dec 2015 22:54

Very cool. I'll take a dozen.

hattie
# Posted: 9 Dec 2015 01:18

Beautiful work!!! We burned all the cardboard boxes our canning jars came in because they went moldy in our cold cellar. We just use plastic bins now but your boxes are really beautiful!! I love that they have handle slots!

Steve_S
# Posted: 9 Dec 2015 05:31

Looks too good to waste on Mason Jars... I bet they could hold a lot more...

Amazing how creative a man can get when the days get shorter & colder and there's tools & material's at hand... Most good inventions were done during the cold seasons and people wonder why...

Don_P
# Posted: 9 Dec 2015 07:11

There ya go, it started during those recent cold rainy days This is actually the second run of a dozen, the first run last year was with a friend who had a cardboard box disintegrate while carrying it downstairs. They do get pressed into multiple uses. I have a book on old wooden Russian houses. The interiors of some are carved from bottom to top, long winter days being cooped up.

Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 10 Dec 2015 04:06

That box stack looks like a nice little pantry! Open shelves for canned goods, bins for root veggies, pastas, etc. Can I place an order?

Steve_S
# Posted: 10 Dec 2015 05:50

Julie, that is what I was thinking when I first saw them... As I am going to have to build my kitchen this winter, I was looking at those and thinking to myself .... Hmmmm Pot & Pan Drawers, smaller ones for cutlery etc, then I pondered Potato Box, Onion Box...

Don_P
# Posted: 10 Dec 2015 17:48

bldginsp and Julie... I do sell these locally but I think shipping would make them way too expensive. I shipped one of my wooden buckets and the shipping was almost as much as the item.

I made these out of white pine for light weight, if they were going to be fairly fixed I'd use oak, cherry, apple, or something prettier. I make trays out of pine and hardwoods. They are sized to hold those flimsy planting flats full of seedlings that we move in and out prior to planting ~12x24x4-1/2" deep. They have also become a kind of carry all/display box at the farmers market and get bought for serving trays as well, I'm well over 100 of those sold, this was the second run of a dozen canning jar boxes and they are mostly spoken for already.

While I was driving the market truck I also made white pine boxes that hold 30 dozen eggs, a standard case of eggs. They are probably a good size for taters and onions. That worked out pretty well, we would deliver to stores and restaurants in the wooden crates and then they would return the empties the next week when we dropped of the next order, the chefs remembered us and requested our stuff, it kind of branded us. Sure we had loss but really much less than I expected. Most people don't think about the cost of the non consumer packaging that they don't see. The cardboard case is about $2 and then each dozen box that you buy costs about $.30. It really cuts into small producers even when we group and buy. Unfortunately the driver that took over when I could get back to work is special... "the wooden crates are too heavy", so I passed them out and we're back to buying one way cardboard . I sold a number of that style box full of nice kindling, thin edgings from making the boards that go into the boxes.

One thing I have thought about making and marketing online is scale model sized lumber for folks to build a tabletop model of their project.

Just
# Posted: 10 Dec 2015 22:31

One of boxes are a lot of work, multiples sure help speed things up , nice work Don

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.