Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off Topic / Crazy, awful weather
Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 27 Dec 2015 16:16

In the past 24 hours, we've had terrible thunderstorms, very strong winds, hail, lots of ice, and some snow, often all at the same time (like right now). Dallas, 150 miles to the east of us, had killer tornados.

I like regular winter weather but Texas winter sux because it means lots and lots of ice, not pretty snow. And city governments that deny we even get winter weather every year so they don't buy the appropriate equipment to sand/treat the roads. They/We wait until it melts, even if that takes a week (and often it has).

We're fine, so far. No power outage yet but if this ice continues ... I laid in a supply of propane, bottled water, and such just in case. And I have my oil lamps, lamp oil, solar lights and flashlight that I bought for the cabin all ready to go, too.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 27 Dec 2015 17:52 - Edited by: toyota_mdt_tech

Julie, when you get to Oregon, tornadoes and hurricanes are non existent. Where your new property is, you will get warm summers and cold snowy winters with a mild spring and fall. If you are west of the Cascades, you will get 4 mild seasons. I suspect you are east of the cascades divide. The humidity will be much less than Texas also. You will get a wind storm now and then, mostly in the fall and early winter. No hail storms big enough to damage property. We get hail that is about as big or a bit bigger than BB's. Doesnt even hurt you to be out in it. Lower areas can see lots of rain in spring and fall, but mostly west of cascades.

naturelover66
# Posted: 27 Dec 2015 18:44

What toyota describes sounds wonderful Julie !

Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 27 Dec 2015 18:56

toyota_mdt_tech
I could totally be wrong but I think I'm just a bit south of the Cascades divide. The snow totals and low temps even 25 miles north of my land are more intense. Technically, I'll be in a "Mediterranean" climate. There is the potential for some heavy snowfall but it's not typical.

I'm looking forward to it! Since I've lived in 2 places with extremes (NH and TX) and have dealt with blizzards, bitter cold and damp, tornados, hurricanes, terrible ice and huge hail, searing heat and interminable drought, Oregon will seem moderate!

Right now, we have ice, snow and thunder going on. WTH?

Gary O
# Posted: 27 Dec 2015 20:50

Quoting: Julie2Oregon
"Mediterranean" climate

I read that too, somewhere....doesn't sound right, unless parts of the Mediterranean areas are d-r-r-r-r-y

ToyTech is right on

Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 28 Dec 2015 02:10

Quoting: Gary O
I read that too, somewhere....doesn't sound right, unless parts of the Mediterranean areas are d-r-r-r-r-y

I dunno, but it sure sounds cosmopolitan, lol. I picture lots of sunshine. And olives.

upndown
# Posted: 28 Dec 2015 20:16

And drinks with umbrellas.

Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 28 Dec 2015 20:46

upndown
LOL. Sangria coolers!

upndown
# Posted: 28 Dec 2015 23:14

Numm.. Southern Comfort sunrise.

Wilbour
# Posted: 29 Dec 2015 11:49

Apparently there was at least a 4 hour wait to change over tires yesterday. Who waits until the first storm of the season?

Took an extra half hour to get to work. Made it safe and sound.

Steve_S
# Posted: 29 Dec 2015 12:24

Were gettin'er now Eh Wilbour ! Yesterday was messy and I spent 2 hrs in combat with my Snow Blower... Preparing for another run in the "Battlefield" of Fluffy Rains !

Darned Could'ves, Should'ves & Would'ves keep popping up, especially now that some things are stored where the blower has to dump the snow... Ugh.... shifting materials around in a snow storm, such joy & fun !

Got the Baffin Titan-100's on and kitted up for it, only 1 foot on the ground now but still falling by the bucket full... I'm about 1100 feet above your elevation there Wilbour.

Wilbour
# Posted: 30 Dec 2015 12:13

I got stuck (with winter tires on) about 300 ft from my driveway. Had to shovel the street before shoveling my lane. My wife and all other small cars got stuck there too. Just too much snow as our cars are only so high.

Thank goodness for Netflix!

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.