Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off Topic / East Coast Blizzard... getting snowed in?
<< . 1 . 2 .
Salty Craig
# Posted: 24 Jan 2016 09:10

DaveBell
Can I come??

DaveBell
# Posted: 24 Jan 2016 13:57

Craig,
Send me an email.
Dave

rky60
# Posted: 24 Jan 2016 18:32

I spent the weekend at the cabin, we got a few flakes. But when I got home, 83 miles south of cabin, just about 30" in the yard. And without timing, the new snow blower is throwing all the oil out the exhaust.
20160124_174850.jpg
20160124_174850.jpg

Bevis
# Posted: 24 Jan 2016 21:47

Snow What's that... Not in SW Florida, but enjoying the cooler temps though.

Jebediah
# Posted: 25 Jan 2016 09:00 - Edited by: Jebediah

Yes and no. As teenagers we loved the adventure of heading up to our camp which was situated 60 miles up an old pole line, Northern Ont. We were never snowed in as we had our Elan and Tundra longtracks, excellent for breaking trails. The only issue we had was travelling during whiteouts on some of the lakes, it was hard to find the trail that lead off the lakes.

We did get snowed in once (I think that was the year we all got our drivers license) we went up to the camp with my cousins old 1/2 ton jeep. While at the cabin it started snowing heavily so we decided to leave, put the chains on and 3 miles out we busted a front hub on the truck(chain bit into a rock ledge)so we tried shoving screwdrivers and nuts and bolts into the hub but it wouldn't catch, so we headed back to the cabin spent two days waiting out the storm.
Laced up the old snow shoes and away we went for a 10 mile hike out to the train tracks, we decided to cut across 3 lakes which saved us 3 miles, it was more risky on the lakes that time of year but we had to make the 12 0'clock train lol...

Those days the train would stop for you, as many people had cabins along the tracks. We went back up the following day and retrieved the truck.

The trains stopped making these access stops some years later...for many people that railway was the only means of getting to their camps. 5 bucks a person including your freight, from Sudbury to I think it was Timmins or farther for those that know the area. As young teenagers we used to take the train up to Laforest and walk in 10 miles to the camp, always the adventure of a lifetime.

Now I also have many Army stories ...helmets on lol.

hueyjazz
# Posted: 25 Jan 2016 11:49

Well, we spent the weekend at the cabin and didn't get snowed in. NUTS
Maybe 6-8" of light fluffy snow that the dogs ate for breakfast. My daughter is located on Long Island where they got over two feet. We stayed in touch but I had to point out the facts to her.
You grew up in the snow belt of NY. You been through several blizzards and ice storms. Let me guess, you got water, food, a full gas tank, a full compliment of camping gear and can survive without heat or electric. You know how to and when not to drive in snow.
Well, yes.

Well then honey, you are doing far better than your neighbors that are currently thumbing through their LL Bean catalog

bobrok
# Posted: 25 Jan 2016 12:25

Quoting: hueyjazz
You grew up in the snow belt of NY. You been through several blizzards and ice storms. Let me guess, you got water, food, a full gas tank, a full compliment of camping gear and can survive without heat or electric. You know how to and when not to drive in snow.

+1 LOL

Don't forget the generator!

Depending upon where you are you could have sump crocks in the basement due to a high water table. I so lucky that I have two of 'em. When the power goes out the snow piling up outside is of very little concern compared to the water pouring onto the basement floor!

Gotta love those 24 hour bailing by hand episodes prior to getting the generator.

RichInTheUSA
# Posted: 25 Jan 2016 17:28

hueyjazz...

I can just imagine all the people camping vicariously through the LL Bean catalog... Hahahaha...

DaveBell
# Posted: 25 Jan 2016 18:14

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--PhjK5oxnE

RichInTheUSA
# Posted: 26 Jan 2016 07:27

Dave, that's an awesome video. Amazed at how smooth the video is. What type of drone?

Also pretty cool that an NBC editor requested you contact him in the youtube comments. Did they use your footage?

DaveBell
# Posted: 26 Jan 2016 15:26 - Edited by: DaveBell

Oops, sorry, it's not mine. I should have said something. I posted it because it was an amazing video, yeah, smooth. From someone in Antioch WV.

DJI Phantom 3 drone from the Weather Channel info.

I googled the model and it comes in four price levels. I don't know if he used the advanced, pro, etc.

<< . 1 . 2 .
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.