Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off Topic / The mythical pig-dog of the forest!
Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 23 Jan 2016 00:06 - Edited by: Julie2Oregon

Haha, meet my English bulldog, Bodie (short for Bodacia because she IS bodacious!). She is more energetic than many English bulldogs and loves to play outside, hates the Texas heat (bulldogs overheat easily), and REALLY enjoys romping in what snow we've gotten since I've had her. I think she's going to love living in Oregon and have a great time in the forest. She loves chasing sticks and such.

But I laugh every time I consider what the woodland creatures are going to think when they see Bodie! Here's a dog with a pushed in nose, a weird little tail, chubby, and snorting and rooting with her nose/face like a piggy! I don't think the wolves or coyotes will recognize her as part of their family line, hahahaha!

So, I told her she will be known as "the mythical pig-dog of the forest" because she's special. Most of all, she's a funny, playful, sweet pal.
bodiegirl.jpg
bodiegirl.jpg

Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 23 Jan 2016 00:12

There she is! Oddly, the first photo I posted didn't show up so I found another.

bobrok
# Posted: 23 Jan 2016 00:32

HA! LOL!

Julie, my son and his g/f have an English Bulldog. Arthur, or, more correctly, "King Arthur" and he rules the roost at home.

Now of all dog breeds in the world I never would have thought that an English Bulldog would have captured my heart as King Arthur has. We love him and he knows it. He milks us for all we're worth when we visit.

And he insists and takes for granted that he can sleep in our bed in between Wifey and me each and every night when we are there. Sigh, we've grown accustomed

Bulldogs rule!

Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 23 Jan 2016 01:09

Quoting: bobrok
Bulldogs rule!

bobrok

Yes, they do! King Arthur sounds awesome, lol. It's a special breed. You can't explain it to someone who hasn't been around English bulldogs much but they have unique personalities. I love them. I'm glad you're benevolently ruled by King Arthur!

Bodie is the third bulldog I've had in my life. I have to say she's the most special but also the most challenging at first because she was a rescue. I don't know whom her previous owners were but they were neglectful and abusive. She came to me skinny and malnourished with a swollen back/spinal cord from being beaten and difficulty moving her back legs. My vet thought the damage might be permanent.

But when I took her back in a few weeks to be spayed, he couldn't believe the difference in her! She had gained weight, was walking better, and was so happy. And, heck, now she can run and play! Her back legs still cross a bit when she overdoes it but it doesn't bother her or slow her down. I can still see some fear in her in some situations, like when people raise their arms around her, but she's doing so well.

She's going to love cabin life and acreage to explore! And a fire to snooze by, lol. Snorting and oinking and rooting along the woods!

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 23 Jan 2016 01:21 - Edited by: toyota_mdt_tech

Julie, I have both an English bulldog and a French bulldog.

Gadget is the English at 94 lbs, Gizmo is the French bulldog at 60 lbs.

First picture is Gadget, AKA "biscuit ass"

Second is the both setting together in the back of the trailer. We were at the cabin when these pictures were taken, just a week ahead of the fires which almost destroyed everything, ie land and cabin.

Gizmo just turned 8 yrs old. I have over $15,000 into these 2 dogs, cost plus medicals. We love them like our own kids.

These are 2 of the most spoiled dogs around.

Julie, Bodie is the name of an old ghost town about 50 miles north of my cabin.

http://okanoganhighland.blogspot.com/p/bodi.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjFa7yEiOOI
biscuit_ass_2.jpg
biscuit_ass_2.jpg
giz_and_biscuitass_.jpg
giz_and_biscuitass_.jpg

Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 23 Jan 2016 01:51

toyota_mdt_tech
Oh, I LOVE them!!!!!! Before I decided to move to Oregon, I was wanting to add a French bulldog to the group, too! Your "kids" are adorable!!!!!!

ROFL @ "biscuit ass." One of my friends calls Bodie "chunka-buns," hahahaha! The pic I posted is one of her "early" photos when I hadn't had her all that long and she was still young. Let's just say she has "filled out" a LOT more since then!

Hmm, someday maybe we'll roadtrip up and explore Bodie's "town," lol. Beautiful country!

hattie
# Posted: 23 Jan 2016 01:52

Oh I just LOVE English Bulldogs!!!! Bodie is beautiful!!! I love the description as a "mythical pig-dog of the forest" HAHAHA....

Toyota - Biscuit and Giz are adorable. Yup, they become your kids and steal your heart pretty quickly!

Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 23 Jan 2016 02:09

Thanks, hattie! I just picture Bodie shuffling along in the woods and the deer wondering what on earth she is, not knowing whether to run from her or go over and sniff her, hahahaha!

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 23 Jan 2016 10:04 - Edited by: toyota_mdt_tech

Biscuitass when he was just brought home (picture). The breeder did a fantastic job with him, poddy trained from day one and without a doubt, the best pre-trained dog I have ever had. Is the most loveable thing, but built like a brick you "know what" house, strong as an ox too. Top weight for a english is 75 lbs, mine is 95. Top weight for a frenchie is 28 lbs, mine is 60. I just end up with freaks of nature. Or maybe well cared for and fed.
Gadget as a puppy
Gadget as a puppy
Gizmo (Frenchie), not even a full day old
Gizmo (Frenchie), not even a full day old
Gizmo (Frenchie) at 6 weeks old
Gizmo (Frenchie) at 6 weeks old

bldginsp
# Posted: 23 Jan 2016 11:17

I read somewhere that Bulldogs were bred to look mean but be sweethearts.

Once I saw a bulldog family being walked by their humans. There were two or three little ones, a few months old. They had to jump off a curb. Mom and Dad made it just fine, but the little ones with their short little legs landed splat in the gutter on their fat little bellies. But they bravely scrambled up and continued undaunted. Ha ha!

Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 23 Jan 2016 19:12

bldginsp
Bulldogs originally were used for the bloodsport of bull (or bear) baiting in England. They would set these dogs on a bull or a bear to attack the poor, chained beast. The reason they have flat faces is so they bite the bull (or bear) and hang on, doing the most damage, and still be able to breathe.

When bull and bear baiting were outlawed, dog fanciers wanted to keep the breed but not the aggression so they bred the meanness out of them and basically made them into lovable couch potatoes that have no working or sporting purpose but are strictly companion animals.

Haha, they're really characters.

bldginsp
# Posted: 23 Jan 2016 20:13

Nasty history with a positive result

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.