Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off Topic / Off the wall slap stick humor
bldginsp
# Posted: 19 Mar 2016 12:43 - Edited by: bldginsp

For those of you willing to explore the bizarre and absurd, I just discovered 'How To Basics' on YouTube. Caution- not for the feint of heart. Check it out- he's got many videos, here's a start:

How to make bread (messiness alert)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdPR28gVIFQ

How to make breakfast (grossness alert):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ula__LHsjP8&ebc=ANyPxKo2JE06-VkSV_FcICUXpjQaCWWfbLj31 kgvPKKENPkQiBvfL3_yPbB7PfeEGs_Bhu3RoOVO6vqJvW9gyv4WDuPuUOhOKw

How to do homework (silliness alert):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-eSHPERoPk&ebc=ANyPxKoS8JtJpk8GCPMecdbjo12Iz_XrowbW4 GnijI7zltyQ9FnRz1NCpy_0DbUlY4WAjPo8jXa1E7-jlZeASOTycecp3gYBnQ

Beware if you watch further, they get worse, or better, depending on your perspective....

rmak
# Posted: 19 Mar 2016 20:42

I would advise him not to quit his day job.

bldginsp
# Posted: 19 Mar 2016 23:53

Evidently he did, because he has over 1,000,000 subscribers on youtube

rmak
# Posted: 20 Mar 2016 01:14

In that case, as in most cases these days, I'm glad I'm old. I don't really want to experience what might pass for humor on the internet in the future. No disrespect to you bldginsp. Just not my cup of tea.

And I don't like the way he treats his dog, either...

Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 20 Mar 2016 02:36

This guy is to eggs what Gallagher is to watermelons. Except Gallagher's cheerful.

bldginsp
# Posted: 20 Mar 2016 14:22

Understood. Not for everyone.

Bzzzzzt
# Posted: 20 Mar 2016 21:21

Can i have the last five minutes of my life back, please?

bldginsp
# Posted: 21 Mar 2016 00:02

No you can't, time wasted is forever gone, worse yet, if spent in degrading circumstances it erodes the quality of your neural pathways permanently. You are forever scarred by the memory of uselessly smashed eggs and gallons of milk pointlessly splattered on the floor in a desperate attempt to lure gullible YouTube watchers (like me) into a den of utter iniquity. The only solution is to take a shower and pretend it never happened- you might fool the neighbors.

Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 21 Mar 2016 00:08

Snicker. Den of iniquity? Where?!

bldginsp
# Posted: 21 Mar 2016 00:11

Somewhere in the depths of YouTube......

rmak
# Posted: 21 Mar 2016 22:07 - Edited by: rmak

Gallons of milk!?. You must mean you were lured into a den of "udder" iniquity.

(Now that's how you do comedy, bldg! )

bldginsp
# Posted: 21 Mar 2016 22:55

I see a new career for you Rmak.

Out of curiosity, after learning that the guy who made those videos has over 1,000,000 subscribers, I looked into how much video producers actually earn on YouTube. Sitting down? Millions. Yes. Research it. The biggest earner has 5 mil subscribers and makes 2-3 mil a year.

The top video producers make video reviews of computer games, and there are several who do nothing but review new toys for kids and show them how they work. Stuffing playdoe into plastic molds.

It's a different world from when I used to drag around my little red wagon (which had no plastic).

rmak
# Posted: 22 Mar 2016 07:35

Thanks, bldginsp, but I intend to keep my day job for a while longer.

I know about this stuff. I'm in education(until I retire in two months). 10 years ago, all the boys were going to be in the NBA as basketball stars. It didn't matter that most weren't over 5'10". We couldn't convince them to make a plan B.

5 years ago they were all going to be video game designers. It didn't matter that they never bothered to study the science and math that went into manipulating computers.

Now they are all going to be youtube entrepreneurs. Each and every one is going to make millions and hardly have to work at all.

I don't like to squelch dreams, but I wonder who's going to be our plumbers and farmers. The math they are taught now is so convoluted most would be hard pressed to find 3/8" on a tape measure.

Hope to soon be spending a lot more time at the cabin. I'll just check in with technology periodically just for amusement.

Topper
# Posted: 22 Mar 2016 12:38 - Edited by: Topper

rmak First congratulations on you upcoming retirement.

However, unfortunately you hit the nail on the head!

Society, in general, wants everything handed to it. First day on a job & they want to be CEO, or at least be given the CEO's salary...

Then... we have an all too willing guberment handing out "free bubble-up and rainbow stew" as the late Merle Haggard used to sing.
Society selling itself for a free cell phone...

Cell phones and texting -- writing, spelling and English comprehension are going the way of the dinosaur.
To, two and too are interchangeable.
You is now spelled "u", et cetra!

I should have been put out to pasture a long time ago, but I worked well into my 60's in heavy construction, raking asphalt & the like. Because companies can't find people with the work ethic to do the jobs!

Just my two cents & I'll get off the soap box now.

bldginsp
# Posted: 22 Mar 2016 13:10

Quoting: Topper
You is now spelled "u", et cetra!

It's 'et cetera' not 'cetra'. Pet peeve of mine.
Quoting: rmak
I don't like to squelch dreams, but I wonder who's going to be our plumbers and farmers

The answer is your students, when they figure out they gotta pay the bills and YouTube is not easy money. I was gonna be a rock star, now I'm a building inspector. Life is what happens while you are making other plans.

Topper
# Posted: 22 Mar 2016 13:51

bldginsp,

Quoting: bldginsp
It's 'et cetera' not 'cetra'. Pet peeve of mine.

Noted
In my own defense, I normally write "et cetera in the 18th Century manor -- "&c." but was concerned that not many would have known what I wrote...

The answer is your students, when they figure out they gotta pay the bills

Either that or welfare/food stamps!

gotta

Got to. Sorry, couldn't resist.

bldginsp
# Posted: 22 Mar 2016 14:18

'Gotta' is a common American colloquialism; 'cetra' is a common American misspelling of ancient Latin.

Ball's in yer court, dude! (Just kidding)

bldginsp
# Posted: 22 Mar 2016 14:22 - Edited by: bldginsp

Quoting: Topper
In my own defense, I normally write "et cetera in the 18th Century manor

Did you mean that you normally write 'et cetera' when you are in an English manor house, or that normally you write in that manner?

Score two for bldginsp! (you owe me a coffee).

Topper
# Posted: 22 Mar 2016 16:16

Do you prefer decaf?

bldginsp
# Posted: 22 Mar 2016 18:27

Vente cafe lofat mocha frappe whip with sprinkles, maraschino cherry, a slight dusting of chocolate powder and a chocolate straw. Shaken, not stirred.

rmak
# Posted: 22 Mar 2016 20:52

Can't wait for the next how to basics video, " How to make a vente cafe lofat mocha frappe whip with sprinkles, maraschino cherry, a slight dusting of chocolate powder and a chocolate straw. Shaken, not stirred."

Topper
# Posted: 22 Mar 2016 21:49

WE drink real coffee here in Alaska.

bldginsp
# Posted: 22 Mar 2016 22:43

When I was in Alaska I saw a logger with steel toed boots, dirty blue jeans, chain saw injury scars from his chest up his neck to a patch over one eye carrying a Starbucks and complaining that Starbucks ain't what it used to be.

rmak
# Posted: 24 Mar 2016 18:43

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgaRd4d8hOY

Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 24 Mar 2016 19:22

Quoting: rmak
I don't like to squelch dreams, but I wonder who's going to be our plumbers and farmers. The math they are taught now is so convoluted most would be hard pressed to find 3/8" on a tape measure.

rmak
During my very first year teaching, I had a young man in my American Lit. class who was fresh out of the alternative school for the umpteenth time because he had severe discipline problems. Sure enough, early in the semester, he started to throw a punch at me when I went over and told him to return to his seat, as he had decided to get up and walk around during class. Some inner voice said, "Julie, if you flinch or show fear, he owns you," so I didn't. And he stopped his punch an inch from my forehead and just looked at me. I repeated quietly that he needed to sit down immediately, and he did. But, I digress ...

Weirdly enough, I liked the kid a lot. He was smart. He thought outside the box. He knew I liked him so he started to behave better and do his work. We were reading The Great Gatsby and he announced one day that he wanted to go to Princeton after graduation just as F. Scott Fitzgerald did and he asked me if it was possible. I said, no, it wasn't, because he didn't have the grades and other qualifications.

He started to sputter about how I wasn't allowed to say that to him, that I was supposed to tell him anything was possible and to help him find a way to go to Princeton. (I didn't blame him for being upset, really. This is the generation that's told anything IS possible for them, even if it isn't.) I said that I valued honesty and his feelings above everything else and I wouldn't be doing him any favors by lying to him. That if going to an Ivy League college was his goal, he needed to have started working on that way before spring of his junior year and the years he spent at the alternative school doing credit recovery wouldn't count.

And I told him that I'd be happy to help him apply to other colleges that would give him opportunities and perhaps, if Princeton was truly his goal, by doing extremely well at another school and being in contact with key people in the admissions office at Princeton along the way, he might be able to take classes there someday.

He was admitted to a branch campus of Texas A&M. I lost track of him. I don't know if the Princeton thing was a lark, a test, or if he was truly intriqued by the Ivies. Regardless, though, I hope he did learn something from our discussion.

rmak
# Posted: 25 Mar 2016 07:33

The fact that that kid could threaten you and get away with it indicates how dysfunctional schools and families have become.

The current philosophy in education is the idea of a growth mind set. You can actually grow dendrites to make brain connections though effort and simply using your brain more. That appears to be true.

The unfortunate take from this is that there are no boundaries or limitations to where a person can go. That is simply not true.

Clint Eastwood said it best, "A man's got to know his limitations." I'll never be Rembrandt, or Lebron James. There are so many variables that dictate who we become.

Julie, I think you nailed it. What that kid was missing was that you have to put in the work. And you have to be realistic. Dreams are one thing, but you also have to wake up and accomplish something. Plus it never hurts to have a plan B. You can try to write the great American novel, but you better plan on doing something else to pay the rent.

Most everyone I know started out to be something and became something else. Life is a long and winding road.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.