Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off Topic / Help me spend some money...
obtusemoose399
# Posted: 6 Apr 2016 18:15

A bit of background:

This it more a thought exercise than anything else. My cabin is a small one (10x12) and I am not (and will never be) a "prepper." I like my cabin to look like a cabin, and not a bunker. That said... last time we got out there, on glass of wine #2, the conversation turned to "what if we had to live at our cabin forever during some kind of emergency."

It was a fun conversation, and got me thinking. If I wanted to make a cabin survival kit to get as much mileage as possible, what would I put in it? Let's assume it had to fit in a 12x12x12 box (and the more fun/interesting the items, the better).

DaveBell
# Posted: 6 Apr 2016 18:57 - Edited by: DaveBell

Ever seen Maslov's hierarchy of needs? Besides that, Water, food, clothing, shelter. Extrapolate; Water filter, beans/gun/ammo, shelter needs heat, wood needs saw/axe, first aid kit, etc.

Actually, if you want have have some fun, go out there and live for a weekend/week and then see what you need/like to have before you need it and don't have it.

hueyjazz
# Posted: 6 Apr 2016 19:32

A sq. ft. box and it's forever in a 10' x 12' cabin?
You gonna die

But I'll bite as it's the Boy Scout in me.
I assume there's a water source. If not, see above.

Box store in should be able to be used as pot and frying pan
Cooking utensils
Knife w/ stone
Saw blade
Hachet
Fire Starter Flint/Steel
Reference of edible plants in area
Water purification tablets
Tarp
First kit with antibiotics and wound closure kit. Severe injuries
Rope
Fishing line, hooks etc
Boy Scout field manual or other suitable reference
Space blankets
Ponco
Army field guide survival manual fm21-76
Ruger Government model Mark II w/ 3 bricks 22 ammo
Baofeng UV5RA ham radio w/ spare batteries
Small solar panel for above
Heirloom seeds
Sports Illustrated bathing suit edition
3" Nails
Poly plastic sheet
Bow strings

RichInTheUSA
# Posted: 6 Apr 2016 21:46

If you're filling that box... You are a prepper. #justsayn

Gary O
# Posted: 6 Apr 2016 22:30 - Edited by: Gary O

Quoting: DaveBell
Actually, if you want have have some fun, go out there and live for a weekend/week and then see what you need/like to have before you need it and don't have it.

Best statement ever in regard to finding out what your priorities and needs really are....or aren't.

....but, make it a week, minimum.

LoonWhisperer
# Posted: 7 Apr 2016 11:29 - Edited by: LoonWhisperer

We had this same conversation but because our cabin is even smaller, it didn't come up until glass of wine #3.

Not an ideal scenario but that said we do squirrel away extra supplies and have a huge pond for water so it's better than a kick in the arse I suppose. I am fortunate in that my business involves these very items so I offer myself a generous discount

Hueyjazz has a good list there to get started with.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.