Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off Topic / Reversed Polarity and Fried my TV !!!
paulz
# Posted: 23 Jun 2016 23:01

Dang, I was in a rush to get the 12vdc TV going for my wife before I went to work and jumpered it backwards. Took the back off hoping to see a fuse, no such luck. Did I kill it for good?

Newish LCD flat screen.

darz5150
# Posted: 23 Jun 2016 23:36 - Edited by: darz5150

Did you have a cigarette lighter type plug in on the TV ? Did you reverse the polarity on the receptacle? Sometimes inside the plug in on the TV there might be be a fuse. If it has the cigarette lighter type plug.
I have 3 different DC TV's hooked up, as well as 12 volt lighting and 3 different 12 volt pumps.I use something similar to this, and a common negative ground buss bar connection. Also I put labels on the positive output wires. It helps to sort out problems if something pops a fuse.

paulz
# Posted: 24 Jun 2016 10:03

No such luck. The TV came with a 110ac wall transformer, I snipped that off and alligator clipped it direct to a battery. I had been using that way for months, and as I said, in hurry put it backwards.

SE Ohio
# Posted: 24 Jun 2016 14:45

Might have blown an electrolytic capacitor? Cheap and easy to replace, they often go off like a shot (did you hear anything? smell anything?) and show damage, e.g. top blown open, scorch mark. They don't like reverse voltage. Might be able to spot the culprit.

A cheap properly sized diode can prevent current flow in wrong direction- I can send you one (free) if you get the set working. Will prevent problem on your next TV

Good luck!

SE Ohio

paulz
# Posted: 24 Jun 2016 15:01

Thanks SE, I took the back off (hoping for a big old fuse, lol), here is a photo. I didn't hear or see anything, just the little red LED on the front no longer came on, nor anything else.

Yes, a diode, that would be a good thing.
0624161157.jpg
0624161157.jpg

SE Ohio
# Posted: 24 Jun 2016 17:03 - Edited by: SE Ohio

Look carefully at the circuit board, as there could be a fuse soldered to the board and labeled "fu1", "f1" or the like. You'll likely have to scrape some coating of the component soldered ends to see if it has zero resistance like a good fuse. I sometimes use straight pins with clip leads for this multimeter test.

If you look at the circuit board like a clock face, is that capacitor (can) at 12 o'clock spreading open at the top? Cannot tell on my screen.

If a cap is replaced, make sure to use same or higher voltage rating.

Problem is most likely on board. Sometimes you can find replacement boards online? Cannot tell how difficult it would be to dig out/disconnect.

paulz
# Posted: 24 Jun 2016 21:40 - Edited by: paulz

Wow, there it is, big as day. I put my VOM on the bare wire ends, open. Can I solder some leads and a replaceable car type fuse holder in there?
0624161830a.jpg
0624161830a.jpg

SE Ohio
# Posted: 25 Jun 2016 12:12

Paulz, you can "sister" in an auto-type fused older, should work fine. That would be more elegant than simply soldering on a hair-fine wire strand...

Good luck!

paulz
# Posted: 25 Jun 2016 12:26

Thanks SE. Can't work on it till next week but I'll report back.

paulz
# Posted: 28 Jun 2016 12:51

It works! Thanks so much! So the TV draws about 30 watts, should I use a 3 amp fuse? And can I just go to Radio Shack down the street and get a diode to put inline to prevent future mishaps?
0628160935.jpg
0628160935.jpg

SE Ohio
# Posted: 28 Jun 2016 17:02

Great news on the fix! Nice to be able to repair things.

I'm assuming 12 volt operation.

Your local Radio Shack has diodes rated for 3 amps and a few hundred volts. A 4 amp or higher rating would be better, and they are cheap enough you can put two in series for extra safety. Voltage rating can be 12+ Volts.

The 3 amp fuse would need to be a "slow-blow" so startup surge won't knock it out quickly. Could also go with a 4-5 amp fast blow fuse.

Later,

SE Ohio

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.