Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off Topic / cooking at the cabin
<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . >>
sm paul
# Posted: 19 Feb 2011 23:18 - Edited by: sm paul

My favorite is called Hobos- It is diced potatoes,thin sliced carrots and chopped onions with ground chuck, salt and peppered to taste and- triple wrapped in tin foil. Throw it into the coals for about a half hour turn it at 15 minutes. Makes my mouth water just to type it out. Tastes even better if its a little burnt.

MikeOnBike
# Posted: 19 Feb 2011 23:43

Quoting: sm paul
Hobos

That sounds really good. We'll have to try that one.

Curious what everyone does for coffee. We have been using a french press, boiling the water over the camp stove. I bought a Coleman drip machine that works on a camp stove. I plan to try it tomorrow.

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 21 Feb 2011 07:36

let me know about the coleman drip machine, saw one in the box for sale at goodwill last week...........wondered how good they worked

cabingal3
# Posted: 21 Feb 2011 11:50

we make our coffee sometimes over the campfire and other times on the camp stove but we use an big ole aluminum pot.we dont let it get burnt cause we put the extra coffee in an air pot.then i carry the air pot into the cabin so we can keep drinking it and do not have to use up the propane by keeping it heated.saves alot of steps too.

hattie
# Posted: 21 Feb 2011 16:23

I'm a tea drinker but Hubby is famous for his coffee. No coffee maker in our place though. We buy freshly roasted coffee beans that we order from a friend over the internet. The blend we buy is called "Country Coyote" but a more mellow type is called "Mellow Moose". Our friend uses a refurbished coffee bean roaster built in about 1911.

Hubby grinds the beans (only what he needs for one pot at a time) very coarse. He boils water in the kettle and preheats (with hot water) the thermos pot he will put the coffee in. When the kettle water boils he pours a measured amount onto the ground coffee beans that are in a big measuring cup. Stir and wait about 5 minutes. Then he puts a #4 coffee filter in a holder on top of his thermos and pours the coffee into the filter. The coffee drains into the thermos below and voila. Everybody who tries it says it is the best coffee they have ever tasted and they always want to know what kind of a coffee maker he has. *S*

He just takes the filter off the top of the thermos and puts the lid on to keep the coffee hot. We keep our coffee beans in sealed mason jars in our cold room. Every time we order a batch of beans the mail lady can smell it - drives her crazy. *grin*

MikeOnBike
# Posted: 21 Feb 2011 16:42

hattie, does your friend sell his coffee? If so I would be interested in buying some. Our place is called Coyote Ridge, maybe we need some Coyote Coffee.

I tested a new recipe this weekend. We have been eating blueberry pancakes at the cabin. Nothing special, just the Krusteaz mix with the little blueberry imitation pellets. Taking fresh blueberries to the cabin has always been a bit of a hassle because they aren't always in season or affordable.

This time I got some dried blueberries and soaked them in warm water for a couple of hours. I used the soaking water to make the batter and added the blueberries. They were really, really good! The blueberries rehydrated enough that they weren't chewy. Now I can leave a bag of dried blueberries and the dry Krusteaz mix in camp and always have blueberry pancakes.

2 cups Krusteaz pancake mix
1 cup of dried blueberries
1 1/2 cups water

Soak blueberries in warm water for several hours. Retain and add enough to soaking water to make 1 1/2 cups. Add water, hydrated berries and pancake mix. Stir, cook, eat.

hattie
# Posted: 21 Feb 2011 17:03

Quoting: MikeOnBike
hattie, does your friend sell his coffee? If so I would be interested in buying some.

Yes he does sell lots of coffee. *S* His company is: The Back Porch Coffee Roaster. His name is Dan and email: backporch@shaw.ca He is located in British Columbia, but mails freshly roasted coffee anywhere you want it to go. He only roasts the beans when he gets an order so they are always fresh. We find his prices quite reasonable.

cabingal3
# Posted: 20 Mar 2011 22:50

i use to roast soybean and grind them and perk them as coffee.i called it soffee.it i already posted this tip.sorry...but it is not too bad.

BlaineHill
# Posted: 21 Mar 2011 20:31

When I camp out there I always need coffee in the morning. I have a little percolator pot I use over a backpackers stove. Nothing like a cup of coffee on a crisp morning as the sun is coming is up.

There tons of wild blackberries out at my place. They are really just thorny briars most of the year, but in the spring it is really quite a resource. I never cooked with them out at the land, but I did collect a bucket full and bake a pie when I got home.

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 21 Mar 2011 20:40

Quoting: BlaineHill
wild blackberries out at my place

did someone say blackberry cobbler, with a scoop of vanillia ice cream, fine eatin
this is one from camp from last spring.......

cabingal3
# Posted: 21 Mar 2011 21:11

Quoting: BlaineHill
Nothing like a cup of coffee on a crisp morning as the sun is coming is up.

u got that right!hmmm.coffee not soffee.and blackberry cobbler.heaven.

Vince P
# Posted: 22 Mar 2011 09:54 - Edited by: Vince P

Has anyone mentioned pie-irons for cooking on an open fire? They're not just for pies and deserts, the hot sandwiches that come out of these are to die for (like a panini press)
I recommend the ones made of iron over the teflon coated aluminum ones. A hot enough fire will bring the aluminum to meltdown. see: http://www.pieiron.com/

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 22 Mar 2011 17:58

some one say coffee???
http://www.flickspire.com/m/SimpleTruths/LifeIsLikeCoffee

naturelover66
# Posted: 22 Mar 2011 18:01

Nothing like a little bean to perk ya up. My husband and I are coffee a holics........... i just bought a perculator to bring up to the cabin. Cant wait to brew a little bean there.......

cabingal3
# Posted: 29 Mar 2011 16:56

we made bread on a stick and cooked it over the firepit yesterday.well here are some tips.use a straight stick...and do not hold it too close to the fire.straight stick.and set it close enough to the fire to keep it golden brown not burnt.i also got a stick of butter and melted it and let the grandsons dip their bread in the melted butter.it is pretty good...even if burnt.butter makes everything taste better.

Just
# Posted: 29 Mar 2011 22:56

Wild spring onion soup
4 strips of bacon, oorr 1\4 lb of skinned beaver tail ,,chopped and fried crisp..
deglase pan by adding 8 cups of eather beef or chicken broth ..
add 1lb. fresh picked wild onions,, soon to be picked from the creek bank!!!!
salt and pepper to taste
simmer 1 hr.
top with crutons and cheeze
IT'S SPRING

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 30 Mar 2011 07:02

Quoting: Just
Wild spring onion soup

are they called RAMPS???
had some guys who used to hunt with me from NC they would bring me pickled ramps ( wild onions) and bear meat each fall.

Vince P
# Posted: 30 Mar 2011 08:56

Quoting: turkeyhunter
are they called RAMPS???

Ramps are actually wild leeks and they abound in the NC woods. I loved them with soups.

bobrok
# Posted: 30 Mar 2011 10:10

some one say coffee???
http://www.flickspire.com/m/SimpleTruths/LifeIsLikeCoffee

turkeyhunter, this video just made my day, thanks for sharing it.
I don't know how I missed it seeing its a week old post. I guess I just don't spend enough time rummaging around here on the ol' forum.

I don't know if this an indication of my current mindset, my upbringing, or a combination of both...but I would have reached for the plain-jane mug w/o even thinking about it.

Now I am going to enjoy my day :)

Just
# Posted: 30 Mar 2011 10:12

never herd them called ramps up hear, but some say, leaks .! first crop of spring around hear , tastes amasing if eaten out side..sooooon!!

Just
# Posted: 30 Mar 2011 10:33

bear would be good you need somthing with a little fat in it ...
beaver tail is very fatty it fries up like bacon rind !!
turkeyhunter

COMING SOON
MOOSE NOSE SOUP

cabingal3
# Posted: 19 Apr 2011 21:31

i filled empty plastic milk cartons with water and froze them to put in our ice chest for when we went to our woods this time.i have to say i always had floating foods in the ice chest from ice melting.we bought the bags of ice.then we changed to blocks of ice.the blocks do not melt as quickly as the bagged.
well the frozen milk containers kept the thing s nice in the ice chest.
it was great.we did not have to buy ice and none melted into and onto the food.when we got home.there was still ice in the plastic milk jugs.

hattie
# Posted: 19 Apr 2011 23:33

We've just had an egg-splosion here. Had the family up for a week and have lots of eggs leftover. I guess I eggs-aggerated a bit on how many I would need. Then a neighbour gave me another dozen eggs from his chickens and ducks. Five dozen eggs in my fridge for two people...... What to do.....Well today I made an angel food cake (12 eggs). I used the leftover egg yolks (the cake only used egg whites) to put around my apple trees to keep the deer away. Then I made a couple of pound cakes (6 eggs), and some egg salad sandwiches (3 eggs) for lunch. Tomorrow is a frittata (6 eggs) for dinner and chocolate pound cakes (5 eggs). The freezer was empty after the family left, but now I'm going to fill 'er up again with egg-scellent desserts. *S* When you've got all your eggs in one basket, you have to get egg-stremely creative. Who wants egg nog?

naturelover66
# Posted: 20 Apr 2011 00:24

How about coloring some eggs with the hubby??? Then making egg salad? lol
Egg nog sounds nice....... but i prefer something with a little more zing.

hattie
# Posted: 20 Apr 2011 00:35

Quoting: naturelover66
How about coloring some eggs with the hubby???

I love colouring and soft boiling eggs. We call them "dippin eggs". You crack the top off and then dip pieces of toast in them. Yum.....It is my favourite Easter breakfast. *S*

I haven't done anything with the duck egg yet...I've never eaten a duck egg. Anybody out there tried them? I don't know if I should just use it to bake with or actually fry it up. Some of the eggs our friend gave us are "mystery eggs"....He wasn't quite sure what they are from. *LOL*

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 20 Apr 2011 06:04

Quoting: hattie
...I've never eaten a duck egg. Anybody out there tried them? I don't know if I should just use it to bake with or actually

most duck /guinea eggs are a little strong---but are fine eating.....
i have a friend who gives me eggs off his farm..........i dozen my have duck/or chicken eggs in them.............which are all good.
you ever pickled eggs????.........big thing here in the south.

hattie
# Posted: 20 Apr 2011 12:04

you ever pickled eggs????.........big thing here in the south.

No I never have, but they are popular here as well. I had never even heard of them until we moved here and then I noticed they had them in the pub next door when it was open. I've never tasted them either. What do they taste like?

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 20 Apr 2011 17:45 - Edited by: turkeyhunter

Quoting: hattie
What do they taste like?

kinda like a egg flavored pickle.............. better with a brew or 2....

down here they deep fry pickles and pig ears...........too :-).

naturelover66
# Posted: 20 Apr 2011 19:05

omg..... pig ear sandwiches....... i would never survive down there. lol

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 20 Apr 2011 21:32

Quoting: naturelover66
omg..... pig ear sandwiches....... i would never survive down there. lol

thought my yankee friends would like the sign , so i made a pic......
just cause they fry them up and sell them, DOES NOT mean i buy them or eat them...LOL * they could sell it wth a Q-tip stuck in the top of the sandwich instead of a tooth pick........ LOL

<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.