Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off Topic / what old things do u collect for your cabin?
cabingal3
# Posted: 14 Dec 2010 23:00

what things do u collect for your cabin?
i collect old oil lamps.
and old fashioned kitchen utensils.i have a couple of old egg beaters and also this really cool potato masher.i think it is for taters.it is the best.i collect some old roasters.
i collect old brown ware from the 60s.the kind that is dark brown with the frothy sort of off white on the rim.Hull or McCoy or if not those-some that are fake and look like them.
i collect tiny wood stoves of any kind.

hattie
# Posted: 15 Dec 2010 19:01 - Edited by: hattie

Our cabin/house is too small to collect much. We wouldn't have anywhere to put a collection. Although, having said that, Hubby has quite a gun collection. *S*

Our walls are already full with family photos and some art my Mom did plus a lithograph my Dad made when I was a kid (he was a lithographer by trade). My pride and joy is a pair of my Grandmother's prospecting pants. I have them hanging on a wooden hanger on an old door in our living room. I love those pants!!!! I like to hang things that are of sentimental value to me.

It is probably safer that we have such limited space because I LOVE antique stores and I'm sure we would be full to the rafters with "stuff" if I had the room. *S*

SE Ohio
# Posted: 15 Dec 2010 20:27

Cassette tapes for the old 12v RV stereo. I think it will deter any burglar looking in the window. I'll have to add some 8 tracks to the mix...

I do plan to add an old tube "farm" radio that runs off 6 volts. The old pre-transistor radios for off-grid (farms) typically either ran off 6 volts or a set of batteries (e.g. 1.5 volt and 90 volt). I play around with restoring old electronics, and the cabin is a good excuse to add another radio to the collection! Old farm sets often have great reception on AM, as these radios were mostly away from urban areas and needed to pull in weak signals.

I'm also accumulating a few cast iron items; pots, pans, trivets. I might get my wife an iron...

cabingal3
# Posted: 16 Dec 2010 05:07

oh SE Ohio-i did not think of this one...an old timey iron.If i am going to be hanging clothes out on the line.they will need a press here and there if we go to town to shop.
Ohio...this is pretty funny about detering any robberies.thats a pretty funny mild way to keep baddies at bay!I do like the idea of a radio out in the boonies cause of the weather and getting the local news.
SE Ohio-what is the most common repair on old radios?
I mean that gets them to working again?
Hattie.i think the same.i love things from my grannies.things they owned.my sister is getting ready to send me my grannys leather purse she aquired.i think that is so fitting for a cabin to have a pair of pants like your grandmoters displayed.can u pan for gold where u live?Do u gather gold panning equipment?
When we move from here-i will definately have to hone down alot of uneeded doubles of this and that...but some things i have gathered will really be good for using in the woods.taking my big old mixer would be wonderful but if we are off the grid and i think of how much room it wil take up in the kitchen ...maybe to hang a little peg board on the wall in the kitchen above the counter with an old egg beater on the wall would take up alot less room.i am thinking less cookbooks.only the important ones that i can use out on the land.and alot less knick knacks.i collect old fashioned minatures...i would take them but i would just sell alot of silly knick knacks.
u are there Hattie living your dream now.so i can learn some things from u cause we are not there yet.
My hubby does collect some old fashioned tools in good shape if we go to a yard sale and he knows what they are for.i do not.so this is something else we need to store.tools but eventually he will have his own workshop.

SE Ohio
# Posted: 16 Dec 2010 08:43

The most common repair needed on old radios is not tube replacement, but actually capacitor (aka condensor) replacement. The old fluid filled caps have dried out, sometimes creating a dead short. The foil-paper caps often short out too. Rarely are these old radios fused, and a radio can catch fire without tripping a breaker! I replace all the old capacitors (caps) and install a fuse, and check the tubes. Tubes are still easy to find and generally cheap, thanks to the internet. Tube radios are power hogs, using more power than the more modern transistor radios, but I really like the looks and sound of the older radios. I have my grandparents' console radio at my house (not cabin). The date inside? Nov 7, 1941. One month before the Pearl Harbor attack.

A great website with old radio repair info: http://www.antiqueradio.org/howfix.htm

Brad

cabingal3
# Posted: 16 Dec 2010 08:51

thank u Brad.

hattie
# Posted: 16 Dec 2010 12:10

Quoting: cabingal3
.can u pan for gold where u live?Do u gather gold panning equipment?

We do gold panning where we live and, in fact, the entire area is staked with claims. I have one claim that is just for our Motel guests and tourists to use for free. We loan guests gold pans, etc. but tourists who aren't staying here must use their own pans (just because we don't want someone disappearing with our pans *S*). We also have other gold claims that are for our own personal use. It is a fun hobby and we have our camper on the land of our personal claims so that we can use it to hide in during bad weather if it hits while we are panning there. We don't find nuggets on our claims (just flour gold - which is little specks of gold) and occasionally platinum. I enjoy sitting out in the river and watching the wildlife as we pan. We don't collect old panning equipment.

When we are exploring, if we find something that looks interesting, we will bring it home and display it in an outdoor display box we have mounted on the side of our building beside a huge map and photos of the area from its heyday. Tourists enjoy stopping by and we tell them a little history of the area.

Things I can't live without in my kitchen: a good apron, crockpot, breadmaker, good supply of wooden spoons, well-stocked spice rack, big supply of flour, sugar, powdered milk, and all the essentials. In our cold room I always have TWO big bags each of sugar and flour sealed in containers and in my pantry in the laundry room I have at least one extra of every baking ingredient I use (ie baking soda, corn starch, etc.) I keep quite a few cans of tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste and lots of rice and pasta. It took a long time to organize, but now as soon as I pull out an item from the pantry, I know to add it to the grocery list. With this system, you will never run out of anything. It is like having your own personal grocery store. *S* Hubby thought I was nuts when I set it up, but now he loves it because we never have to go into town in a panic because an ingredient is needed. We only drive into town once a week which really saves on gas and wear and tear on our car.

cabingal3
# Posted: 17 Dec 2010 03:30

Hattie.can i as a regular person just pan for gold in a stream anywhere??not on personal properties of peoples but on public property?i like the idea of the display box for a fun item to do.
i have a kitchen aide mixer.i love .when my kids were all small and at home i would make huge amounts of bread each week,along with cinnamon rolls and pies.the boys would just grow taller no matter how much they ate and i would seem to grow shorter and rounder.my kitchen aide is so grand for kneading bread.Latley though as in last week.i made homemade bread and did not use the kitchen aide and the bread was wonderful.i made cinnamon rolls.let the grandson make bread and a bit of dough he shaped into a xmas tree with bulbs and we baked this together.i made fruitcake rolls.regular bread dough with fruitcake bits in it and roll up like a jelly roll but slice crosswise for making rolls.then ice them.
i could live without my kitchen aide.i have to have my wooden spoons and my huge bowls.an old fashioned egg beater would be good for mixing up cake mixes.i need my pans.pie,cake and bread pans.i am trying to collect all manner of cast iron ware for out in the woods.i have a corn dodger pan ,a big rectangular griddle,a round one.and several frying pans and the dutch oven.i use to have castiron saucepans but...they sort of get rusty too quick if i boil veggies or noodles in them.i would have to have my rolling pin.i love aprons.i wear cobbler aprons all the time over everything.we buy big sacks of flour,rice,oats and beans.i would really like to have like big garbage cans to store them in but...i dont think there is room at my home or the cabin or the future cabin.i think this is why i need a storage shed pantry of my very own in the woods.where i can store all the things like this...in metal cans so squirrels or chipmunks can not get into them.i am on the constant look out for cheap cheap canned goods to take to our cabin.i got 3 cans of canned potatoes in all forms -3 for 1$,there is diced ones,round peeled taters and sliced.great to use out in the woods.i try to go to a store called grocery outlet and sometimes they will have 3 cans of veggies for one buck.i will stock up.there was a liquidation sale of wheeler dealer.a store that was cheap and i got alot of canned stuffs from there for so cheap.i stock up and then fill up our home cabinets and then take the over load to the cabin.When we got to the cabin..hubby has a list he pulls out.do u have matches says he.oil?salt?coffee?cups? man.i hate the list but it has actually saved me alot.he is a planned guy and i am fly by the seat of my pants.he saves us alot cause of how he is.thank the Lord.
He did enclose my summer kitchen counter.under it was a shelf.he enclosed that area last time we were there.i was tired of chipmunk poo on all our dishes...so now i think that area will be good for storing alot.i was storing alot there on that under counter shelf anyway but now being enclosed -i think it will be better.
we pulled the propane stove out of the camper and we are going to pull the fridge out too.then we took off alot of windows from the camper.things we are gathering to help us later on with the other cabin.we are watching craigs list and yard sales for free stuff to collect and gather for the next cabin.
Hattie.u are organized and prepared in alot of really useful and good ways...
i use to have a solar/hand crank radio.would like to get one of those again for out in the woods.i wonder if we would get much reception?it would be worth a try.one of the guys right by our place has his own radio tower.so maybe we would tune into him.he does church services on the radio is what i understand.i would like to hear the weather before it happens when we are out there so we can bunker down and know ahead of time how cold it will get in the nite instead of finding out the hard way.going outside to make coffee n wash out our cups and the dishrag freezes hard as soon as u get it wet.ew.

hattie
# Posted: 17 Dec 2010 13:21

Quoting: cabingal3
can i as a regular person just pan for gold in a stream anywhere??not on personal properties of peoples but on public property?

Since every inch of river in our area is already staked, it is illegal for you to pan unless you own the claim you are panning on. When someone pans on someone else's claim without permission they are called a "claim jumper". *S* There are actually a lot of prospectors around here that get really upset if they find someone panning on their claim - even if it is just for fun. All they can do is tell you to leave though. That is why I have a claim that I allow guests and tourists to use for free. They don't need to worry about anyone bothering them on my claim because it is mine and on Crown land as well.

We don't bother with a crank radio because we get absolutely NO radio reception here. Hubby even hooked up a radio antenae to our windmill. We did get a very few stations but the reception was terrible and hard to understand. We have internet radio now and also get radio on our satellite tv.

SE Ohio
# Posted: 17 Dec 2010 18:54 - Edited by: SE Ohio

Hattie,

You might be able to improve radio reception with antenna improvements. A TV antenna on a mast works good for FM/VHF, and a long wire works good for AM and shortwave reception. You'll need a radio with an external antenna attachment.

Another thought is to get (what another member mentioned) a GE Super Radio 1, 2 or 3. I don't know if they still make them.
Very sensitive receivers.

Yet another thought- Car radios tend to be stronger radio receivers. Kenwood used to be the best in fringe reception, may still be! The run off 12 volts, older ones use little current (= longer battery life if you power this way).

hattie
# Posted: 17 Dec 2010 23:24

Thanks SE Ohio. We use a long wire as well as a ground. This helped a lot but we are in a mountain valley so the reception was really iffy. We can only pick up local stations in the daytime and distant stations at night. We have a Grundig AM/FM/Shortwave. We also listen to some shortwave at night. The problem with night time reception is the stations fading in and out. Some nights are better then others, of course. There is virtually no FM reception here because of the surrounding mountains.

We have a car radio in our camper on our placer claim and the reception there is better then here because it is higher up. *S*

The problem with this area is that if you move a half a mile or a mile, the reception changes drastically. A friend 3 miles upstream picks up several Vancouver AM and FM stations reliably. We don't have cell phone coverage here, however, people who go up the mountain 1500 ft above us can get good cell phone coverage.

We resorted to internet radio and just love it as it is very reliable. *S* Even though we are in Canada our favourite station is WMKV in Cincinatti (www.wmkvfm.org) because of all the oldies. *S*

01Marlin
# Posted: 2 Jan 2011 16:15

Griswold and Erie cast iron pans are great to collect. You can use them and they look great hanging on the wall!

fasenuff
# Posted: 3 Jan 2011 08:05

One of the "old things" I have collected here is me. I would not recommend you add me to your collection tho as I require a lot of maintainence.

I also watch for old paster castings of cowboys or indians. I have quite a few in storage I will bring in once inside construction is complete. I have some that stand as short as 3 or 4 inches and a couple that are about 24 inches tall. I think they will look good in here once everything is done.

waldenpond
# Posted: 6 Jan 2011 21:24

books..magazines, old ones and teaching ones. classics. anything off grid.
took this wood chandelier from thrift shop got for 2$. pulled all the wiring out. caulked old heavy glass globes in the 6 light bulb sockets. hung it up over table. have used candles, TP with alcohol and HEET soaked TP.
makes decent light (large room). i like tinkering.
Cabingal you are a hoot..would enjoy having a cup of coffee with you, and Gary cracks me up with just about every post! Everyone here is "good peeps".
i am still looking for the land further south. frustrated with greedy realtors. its been a long year. every time thought things might get stable, lightning kept striking that same spot! but something will come up. economy will make it so.
i am not a SHTF end of the world doomer. but i want to get that cabin or older small home with some land set up and off grid. its cheaper, its healthy work, its better food, its good sleeping..

cabingal3
# Posted: 21 Jan 2011 04:21

waldenpond
thanks. we would love to sit and have coffee with u too.i love to collect the very things u speak of.the books and magazines.so fun to sit and look thru and learn and read on cabin things on a cold winters nite.u and i think the same.its cheaper,healthy work,breathing good air,drinking pure water and not close to fast foods.gotta fix whats there.yahoo.love it.

cabingal3
# Posted: 22 Jan 2011 05:57

here is something i have collected.i can not wait to get the bigger place up and place these homey things in our cabin in the woods.
i have another cookie jar that is a wood stove shape.so cute.
granny cookie jar
granny cookie jar

darz5150
# Posted: 31 Jan 2011 23:11

I made this hanger with a mini wagon wheel and cast iron utensils. I also put candles on top for when the power drops out.
wagon wheel/utensil hanger
wagon wheel/utensil hanger

hattie
# Posted: 1 Feb 2011 00:07

Quoting: darz5150
I made this hanger with a mini wagon wheel and cast iron utensils. I also put candles on top for when the power drops out.

WOW - GREAT WORK!! That looks fabulous!!!

cabingal3
# Posted: 1 Feb 2011 23:17

darz5150
love this look so much.thanks for sharing.

Erins#1Mom
# Posted: 12 Mar 2011 20:04

One of my favorite things to do is to go the estate sales and auctions. Had one tonight in my hometown (2 estates). Lots of beautiful furniture fit for a mansion. Some fit for the cabin life. @ 50+ years old, I have discovered four men 68+ years who have invited me to share breakfast 4-5 days at a local diner. WITH MY HUSBAND'S OK. They know of my goal for a cabin in the future and one was there tonight. He would mention that this or that would be perfect for my cabin if only built(pie safe, hoosier cabinet, kerosene lamps). I had my eye on a beautiful ring and bracelet. Valved at $6000.00 asking $1400 to start bidding. My friend asked if I wasn't going to bid. My immediate response was "do you know how much lumber that would buy". He's probably still laughing..... One must know what's important and have goals!

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 12 Mar 2011 20:44

old Coleman lanterns, and stoves, vintage archery equiptment, old hunting regulations , cast iron, hanging all over the kitchen wall.old horns ,skulls, old stuff in general.

cabingal3
# Posted: 13 Mar 2011 03:20

Quoting: darz5150

this is the nicest kitchen.i hope we can make one similar.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.