Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off Topic / Speaker static noise
paulz
# Posted: 11 Nov 2016 11:09

My cabin electrical is simple. When I get there I plug my truck into a cord that goes into the cabin, the truck aux battery powers the LEDs, the TV, the radio and all the Android stuff. On a typical night we have my wife's Kindle and cell phone, plus my cell phone and tablet all plugged into those 5-12 volt car charger converter things.

My tablet's speaker isn't loud enough for my declining hearing, so I bought some external speakers that also use the 5v things for power. Problem is there is static coming from somewhere over the speakers that is loud enough to make them unusable. No static when just the table speaker is in use. Can I do something to eliminate the static?

SE Ohio
# Posted: 11 Nov 2016 12:51 - Edited by: SE Ohio

Might be picking up noise generated by LED's or even the 5v power supply. I'm guessing that the speaker wire is acting like an antenna. Might try turning things off to see if noise stops. Also a ferrite bead on speaker cable might help, or see if you can get a shielded cable. Wrapping wire in foil and grounding it would not be pretty, but might fix it. Or put through metal pipe or tubing alligator clipped to a ground.

SE Ohio

morock
# Posted: 11 Nov 2016 14:14

Those USB charger plugs are OK for charging batteries but the power is dirty and that is what you are hearing on your speakers. Since you are powering the speakers directly, the noise from the power supply is coming out your speakers. The DC to DC converters (12V to 5v) actually convert the DC to AC at a high frequency and then back to DC, it's just more efficient, but does create noise on the power. You can try getting a low cost inverter with USB ports built into it but the best solution would be to get a Bluetooth speaker that has an internal battery. The batteries don't care about the noise and you could probably just leave it plugged in, but if does sound noisey just run it off the battery and recharge it overnight.

MtnDon
# Posted: 11 Nov 2016 14:17

go bluetooth

skootamattaschmidty
# Posted: 12 Nov 2016 07:28

I second the Bluetooth. We have a portable Bluetooth speaker the size of a large can of beer. It is surprisingly loud and crystal clear. It lasts about 12 hours on a charge and has a USB port that can be used to charge your phone etc. It can be paired to any Bluetooth device like our phones or iPads. What we really like is the portability. We. An set it beside us beside the campfire and keep it on a low volume so we can talk which is way nicer than having something plugged in back at the cabin and having loud music in the background.

paulz
# Posted: 12 Nov 2016 10:57

Got one yesterday, problem solved! Works all the way to the crapper. Thanks!

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.