Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off Topic / Thanksgiving 2016
DaveBell
# Posted: 23 Nov 2016 16:44

I am thankful for many things on this 2016 Thanksgiving eve. I am thankful for the friendship and education this forum provides. We help each other by sharing our knowledge, experiences, and stories. Thank you Cabin Builder for hosting this site. It is an example of how people help people – a part of the human experience that is both fortifying and fulfilling. I wish everyone peace, joy and a very happy Thanksgiving.

razmichael
# Posted: 23 Nov 2016 17:22

Even though you guys south of us are a month and a half late celebrating Thanksgiving - we wish you all the best down there and enjoy the time with your family and friends.

naturelover66
# Posted: 23 Nov 2016 18:00

Happy Thanksgiving to all fellow cabin lovers. We have so much to be Thankful for.
Lisa

Salty Craig
# Posted: 23 Nov 2016 18:47 - Edited by: Salty Craig

DaveBell

Happy Thanksgiving.

I'm very thankful for my beautiful, healthy family. Also, I'm very thankful for my job. This year has been awesome!!

Craig

rmak
# Posted: 23 Nov 2016 22:36

Remember-The crust needs whipped cream too. Don't be stingy!
God bless you all. If you don't go with that, may you be blessed by whatever floats your boat.

LoonWhisperer
# Posted: 24 Nov 2016 11:09

Happy Thanksgiving all!

Don't worry about us folk up north. We'll be fine at work will you feast, drink and watch a ton of football

paulz
# Posted: 24 Nov 2016 13:20

Yes, thank you very much for helping this rookie cabineer? cabinoer? cabinoin? out!

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 24 Nov 2016 19:52 - Edited by: toyota_mdt_tech

Well, interesting story for me. Wife is home the week of Thanksgiving. I am at work. She is cleaning the oven, I get home Wed eve and she tells me I need to soldr this back on. I tell her its a gel filled sealed tube. No fix and no one will have it.

She hands me the bulb at the end of the capillary tube for the oven thermostat. (she must of hit it cleaning and bent it back and it broke) OK, we have a wall oven, not available anywhere locally. OK, I go go look for the part online (told her no way to have it fixed by turkey day) , NLA, no longer available.

I scour the internet. Guy on ebay selling them used for $225, new for $350 and higher. (new old stock, still in old box) so I decided I will order a new wall oven, (new oven about X2 price of just the part). I can not find one that will fit in the cutout/opening. I look into the cabinet, its all oak, so I can get one the correct width, but too high.

For me to make the opening taller requires shortening the upper cabinet space, shortening the doors, (lots of cabinetry type woodworking) will not match the rest (its a full wall cabinet from floor to almost ceiling) So I cancel my Home Depot order on the new oven, bought the new old thermostat off of ebay for $350 and it will be here in a week.

That was the cheapest fix, quickest fix, good solid repair. Besides, the old oven has no solid state circuitry, I told the wife, they last forever (much more durable). A power outage/spike doesn't knock out the electronics like they do on all that computer controlled stuff. Got me thinking, my washing machine and fridge have the computer, I may add surge protectors to them, along with the TV's in the house.

Anyway, good pal is cooking our turkey so it doesn't spoil, already thawed and will just have a nice turkey sandwich for lunch and the next few weeks and pumpkin pie with whipped cream.

But overall, I am still very thankful for everything in life. Life has been good. This wasn't even a bump in my road of life.

silverwaterlady
# Posted: 25 Nov 2016 15:33

Yummy Boston Market and I took a break from three days of cooking.

itsals1
# Posted: 26 Nov 2016 08:05

Toyota_mdt_tech
I'm sorry for your circumstance that your family had this year with your wall oven. Last year at about this time we were in a similar situation. 24" wall oven orginal to our 50 year old house with built-in cabinets. Oh well! That started a mini remodel of 1/2 of our 1400 sq foot house. As of today we are still waiting for the soapstone counter tops (installing Dec. 8th) It's been a long journey and sadly not much cabin time this year, But how thankful WE are that the oven went on the fritz! Sometimes bad things happen for good things! It just takes some time!
Travis

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.