Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off Topic / what is in your first aid kit?
cabingal3
# Posted: 16 Dec 2010 05:14

what kinds of situations are u prepared for in your woods?
say someone get s hurt? or has a heart attack.
do u have an alternative plan for getting help quickly??
our woods u have to pay a certain yearly fee.i would imagen alot of us have this option to help us if we get into a real medical or health problem out in the woods.we have to pay 60$ a year for the option of life flight to come in and haul us out of there.But i hear it told since there is not place to land if life flight came out to get us...we have to get to the main hi-way.so i want to have a way to always get out and also asiprin for heart attack,bandages.last summer i was hauling an 8x4 sheet of some heavy board and i tried to hoist it onto the pile of wood and it came back and torn into my shin and i was sure it was broke.it took about a year for the big bloody dent in my leg to heal.a lesser boo boo but still it could have been really bad.we are doing some pretty dangerous things out there.when we were hoisting those 14 foot long boards up to the roof to make the roof...several times a board fell from out hands and almost could have knocked us out.
so being careful and not hurrying is good.we are lucky as there is no hurry left in us and we go slow anywho.

hattie
# Posted: 16 Dec 2010 14:57

Oh, I just noticed this topic. *S* As I mentioned in another post, we purchsed a defibrilator because medical care is not close by. We also have a Red Cross First Aid Kit which is already stocked with bandaids, gauze, etc. For aspirin I have the powdered express pack type because I understand it is faster acting in case of a heart attack. I keep some of this in my purse, the car, our rhino and the house/cabin. We keep a smaller first aid kit in our rhino for when we are off roading. We also have a small first aid kit at our camper (near our placer claim). In our medicine cabinet here we keep: liquid benadryl (for allergic reactions), gaviscon, pepto, tums, imodium, reactine, tylenol, ibuprofin, cold medicine, joint lotions, hot packs, cold packs, vicks rub, polysporin, ozonol, prescription meds, otrivin, lip balm, sun screen, bug spray, we have an aloe vera plant for burns, rubbing alcohol, hydrogen peroxide....hmmmm...I think that is it. *S* It is important that once a year (we usually do it during the quiet winter months) you check the expiry dates on everything and discard and replace things that are expired. Many things will keep a bit past the expiry date, but you don't want to wait more than one year max. after an expiry (that's what our doctor told us). I also have first aid books for reference if needed. Funnyy thing is that since we moved up here full time 3 1/2 years ago, we don't get sick (touching some wood as I type this). I throw out more meds (expired) then we ever use, but I wouldn't want to not have them on hand in case we needed them.

In our car during the winter months we keep: hats, gloves, candles, matches, candies and other packaged foods, flares, sleeping bags, and water. This is in case our car breaks down in the middle of nowhere and we have to wait for a rescue.

fpw
# Posted: 16 Dec 2010 17:17 - Edited by: fpw

Spot satellite messenger

http://www.findmespot.com

I spend many days alone working with a chainsaw and sawmill a few miles back in the woods. The Satellite messenger gives my wife peace of mind.

Can send check in messages as desired, also has 911 service request.

I keep many things to deal with cuts and gashes, seems to be the most likely injury. And....rolls of duct tape, that fixes most everything up.

hattie
# Posted: 16 Dec 2010 18:17

fpw....WOW, this looks great. I am going to get hubby to have a look. It doesn't seem very expensive either. Thanks so much for posting this. I have never heard of this before!

Quoting: fpw
....rolls of duct tape, that fixes most everything up.

I have heard that in a pinch, super glue can be used to "stitch" up an open gash. Haven't had the need to try it though. *S*

cabingal3
# Posted: 17 Dec 2010 03:09

we just have whiskey for wound s and to nip on a bit in our eggnog to get warm and make us go to sleep on wild freezing winter nites.i can see we are tempting fate.we try to be careful.
Hattie-u are a prepared gal and gave me lots of ideas.once hubby had a big splinter in him and i dug it out with our kitchen knife.I will look at him and he will have blood dripping down his leg or hand and i will be horrified and say omg...he never even knows about it or will say-oh yeah.i dont know what happened.agh.crazy man!
i need to be getting a good emergency first aid kit ready for us to keep up there...not just the whiskey.i use it for hurting teeth or a pimple that pops out.or a nip.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.