Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off Topic / This for cutting rebar?
paulz
# Posted: 13 Jul 2017 15:31

Got it at a garage sale, added the angle iron handles. So far it's good at snapping 3/8" bolts. Just bought grade 8s. Sharp at the edges, trying to cut 1/2" rebar.
0712171342.jpg
0712171342.jpg

old243
# Posted: 13 Jul 2017 19:28

We used something similar, to cut copper cables and aluminum. Not sure if they are made for steel. Give them a try. old 243

paulz
# Posted: 13 Jul 2017 20:27

Ah, I bet that's it, thanks! When I was a construction laborer in the '80s we used something similar to cut rebar but it sat on the ground.

ICC
# Posted: 13 Jul 2017 21:16

The cutting edge on a wire cutter come to a sharper edge than the cutting edge on a rebar cutter. The rebar cutter jaws have a more square edge. OR.. the wire cutter blades are more like garden snips that are designed for cutting green branches.

Bushwhacked
# Posted: 16 Jul 2017 01:50

Quoting: paulz
Ah, I bet that's it, thanks! When I was a construction laborer in the '80s we used something similar to cut rebar but it sat on the ground.

Is this what you are talking about? I used these when we were in the field if we didnt have power to a site.... ahh the good old days.... NO haha.

https://www.amazon.com/BN-Products-MBC-16B-Manual-Bender/dp/B00KNCZ0Y6?SubscriptionId =AKIAILSHYYTFIVPWUY6Q&tag=smacab-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&cr eativeASIN=B00KNCZ0Y6

Borrego
# Posted: 16 Jul 2017 11:01

Yeah, I've still got one, use it occasionally.....it can be a good workout when you get up to #5 or so....

paulz
# Posted: 16 Jul 2017 14:00

Yep, that's the one. Brings back memories of a 20 year old construction laborer. Party all night, sweat it out the next day, repeat...

One of the more interesting jobs I was on was putting a new foundation under Vivian Vance's (Ethel Mertz) house, which sat on a perimeter foundation with piers in the San Francisco Bay. Every day we would dig the trenches by hand, forms went in and the next day the tide would fill about half of what got done. Dig that back out, continue on. Finally on a night with an extra low tide all the forms were in, we got the rebar in and tied just ahead of the concrete, poured and finished by about midnight.

old243
# Posted: 16 Jul 2017 14:20

paulz, If you want to sell the shears , likely an electrician, or a scrap dealer might be looking for them. Look like could handle big cables, if the cutters are in good shape. old243

Malamute
# Posted: 17 Jul 2017 12:23

Ive used regular 3' bolt cutters for rebar, they work pretty well. I think the tool you have is a cable cutter rather than bolt cutter.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.