Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off Topic / Cleaning wool
ChuckDynasty
# Posted: 4 Oct 2017 10:05

I have a late 1930's Woolrich hunt/field coat that probably has never been cleaned and it's a very heavy lined wool coat that I'm not interested in dry cleaning or ruining although it has a fair amount of damage. Some moth some not but looks good and very usable.

Quick web search and I'll thinking of following this:
http://www.howtocleanthings.com/clothing/how-to-clean-wool/

If you don't want to go to the link basically says brush with garment brush, put in bath tub of lukewarm water with wool friendly detergent, soak, gently wash, rinse, rinse. etc. No machine dryer.

I don't own a garment brush but have 8 vintage wool shirts. Should I invest in one?

Any tips or comments? How'd grandma do it? Thanks

Gary O
# Posted: 4 Oct 2017 10:31

There are some rather inexpensive pet brushes that are not so harsh.
In any event, if you do brush them, be sure to stroke one direction only.
Otherwise you'll be creating a nice little hole.

Greenland South
# Posted: 4 Oct 2017 10:33

I own several pieces of wool clothing, quite a lot of it is Filson brand. This is what I do with all my wool.
Shake the dust out, put it into a front loading machine on the ultra gentle hand wash cycle with cold water. I use woolite soap. Remove from the washing machine immediately upon finish. Place the clothing on a horizontal drying rack(never hang a wet wool garment). Shape the clothing on the rack and leave it there till dry. I've been washing my wool this way for years, and most of it is has been in use a decade or longer.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.