Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off Topic / 6 to 12v step up converter ?
paulz
# Posted: 21 Oct 2017 09:54

I have a 12v heated motorcycle vest. I just bought an old motorcycle with a 6v generator/battery system. Tried the vest, nothing. I see they make step up converters, would that work?

https://www.amazon.com/DIGITEN-Converter-Regulator-Waterproof-Module/dp/B019GY2FLW/re f=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1508594035&sr=8-2&keywords=6+volt+to+12+volt+step+up+converter

SE Ohio
# Posted: 21 Oct 2017 10:22

Looks like step up unit is good for 10 amps output at 12 volts, 120 watts. What is power/amp requirement for the vest?

Looks like it gets good Amazon reviews. Shock resistant and waterproof.

SE Ohio

ICC
# Posted: 21 Oct 2017 10:34 - Edited by: ICC

Six volt bike!! Wow,sounds like an oldie. What is it?

The electric question should first be what is the wattage or amperage requirements at 12 volts for the vest and how many watts can the dynamo on the bike supply? Remember that at 6 volts you need to pull twice as many amps if you are going to covert 6 to 12 volts, plus whatever losses. That can place demands on the dynamo that will cause it to fail.

I once had a 6 volt dynamo on an old Norton redone to produce 12 volts, plus a new regulator. Then batteries, bulbs etc get much easier to obtain. You can find details on some conversions online, plus guys who sell parts, etc.

Some bikes use 6 volt alternators and those can be also rewired, sometimes a DIY deal.

ICC
# Posted: 21 Oct 2017 10:51 - Edited by: ICC

some 6 to 12 bike electrics conversion info

paulz
# Posted: 21 Oct 2017 10:58

I just checked the vest, no wattage on the label, I will have to measure. I think they are about 50w.

Actually I have two 6v bikes I ride, a '59 BMW R50 and a '66 Yamaha 305 two smoke. I don't ride them at night so without headlight on I'm hoping the charging systems can handle it. Just for the cold morning rides to the coast.

ICC
# Posted: 21 Oct 2017 13:11

Quoting: paulz
'59 BMW R50

Very cool, do you have the side panniers?

paulz
# Posted: 21 Oct 2017 18:51

No side panniers. I tested the vest, 3.02 amps at 12v. The BMW generator is rated at 6v 60 watts.

ICC
# Posted: 21 Oct 2017 19:33

BMW had some of the nicest panniers oback then. Not too common a find these days though

The watts work out I guess, even with some loss for the converter. Worth a try.

paulz
# Posted: 22 Oct 2017 09:09 - Edited by: paulz

Yes, beetle bags I think they call them. I do have a beat up pair I am going to restore for it.

Another option might be one of these power pack thingies. This one says it will run up to 6 amps. I need the vest for about 20 minutes between charges. Think it would handle that? 12,000 mAh. Might be useful for other things too.

https://www.harborfreight.com/Lithium-Ion-Jump-Starter-and-Power-Pack-62749.html?ccde nc=eyJjb2RlIjoiMzM4NTkwNDYiLCJza3UiOiI2Mjc0OSIsImlzIjoiNTkuOTkiLCJwcm9kdWN0X2lk%0D%0A IjoiMTE4MTQifQ%3D%3D%0D%0A
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG

ICC
# Posted: 22 Oct 2017 21:47

Looks like it should do the job and be handy for other things too.

paulz
# Posted: 23 Oct 2017 10:42

Thanks, I bought one yesterday. There are cheaper batteries out there but with the extras and on sale locally it seemed right. I also got the 2 year warranty for an extra $20, they said it's a new product and if I return it under warranty I get the latest model. I've seen other guys with these things, supposed to jump start a car.

ICC
# Posted: 23 Oct 2017 11:54

Ride warm. It helps to wear something that keeps the wind out. Way back when I was a kid I used to stuff newspapers in the front of my jacket and up the front of my pant legs to the knees. Then I got a set of larger leathers and wore layers of long johns under them. Plus a neck wrap that was windproof. Felt like being wrapped up like the Michelin man. But I was warm.

At the time I had an old Triumph side valve twin. I'd prewarm the oil by dropping a soldering iron in the oil tank.

paulz
# Posted: 23 Oct 2017 19:08

Side valve, that is old. I had a 1950 Thunderbird and it was OHV. Nice bike, should have kept it. I've done the newspaper trick too, best way to stay warm in a pinch, and read about where you've been when you get home. Most everybody now has heated grips, gloves, jackets...and the electrical power to run them. I only happen to have a vest because it came with a bike, but it is nice.

Well my new battery pack is all charged up, and of course a heat wave is rolling in. Hopefully a test next weekend.

paulz
# Posted: 28 Oct 2017 22:30

Cold and foggy at the coast this morning, good test for the new power pack. Did a good job of heating my vest. When I got to my destination the 25% remaining light was lit but it was still heating.
1028170852.jpg
1028170852.jpg

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.