Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off Topic / Self-Rescue if you Fall Through the Ice
hattie
# Posted: 4 Jan 2018 21:30

Here is a really helpful and interesting video on what to do if you ever (heaven forbid) fall through the ice:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PA-GzpcgIA

Borrego
# Posted: 5 Jan 2018 11:39

Fascinating! I don't know why I watched that since I'm in the middle of the desert and will never see ice...but it was fun, thanks for sharing!

DaveBell
# Posted: 5 Jan 2018 16:50

I skied Mt Lemmon, AZ once. Could have used a video on how to not fall in the cactus. I guess you could find a pond up at 9000 ft.

Just
# Posted: 5 Jan 2018 22:06

As a Canadian seems you are on ice a lot at least I am . I think over my 70 something years I have got wet 5 times , all of them memorial but I will spare you the middle .
The first time I was in the back seat of a 48 studabacker when it went through the ice . My dad got me out and on safe ice before I got very wet . My worst memory of that night was the 2mile walk to shore and how upset my dad was . Ho ya and how mad my mum was at my dad.
The last time was 15 years ago. I was fishing on our local river , 2 nights before I had been been fishing in the same spot and there was 30 in. Of hard good ice . I arrived before daylight and proceeded to cross to the other side of the river to my favorit spot . As soon as got on the ice I noticed that a large dewatering pump had been turned on and flooded the ice . It was very cold so a layer of ice had reformed on top of the old ice with a layer of water in between . it seemed safe enough so I proceeded across with my sled in tow . When I got out a 100 ft. From shore the ice broke and I went through. I had thought there would only be a inch or two of water under the new ice. NOT SO there was two feet of water . It was a long long way down to the 30 in of old ice. There I was with my heart in my hand ,in the dark , alone. , standing in 2ft. Of ice cold water. I tried to step up onto the new ice but it broke each time i tryed . It was a long way to shore breaking ice all the way. I arrived at the truck with my sled still in tow but with my clothes frozen into armour.
That trip from the new ice to the old ice was the longest I have ever been on.
Thanks for the reminder. . Hattie ,, life is good !

leonk
# Posted: 5 Jan 2018 23:25

ice safety is important, esp. for dog owners, I had to get swimming after mine once (it was March her in ON)

but better get it from the real authority, not some hippy utuber ;)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hPYqpRUE-U

hattie
# Posted: 6 Jan 2018 00:25

Quoting: leonk
but better get it from the real authority, not some hippy utuber

That was also a good video. No need to be rude, however.

naturelover66
# Posted: 6 Jan 2018 08:31

Thanks for the video Hattie!!!
Just- i bet you have many facinating stories to tell.
We should start a thread on outdoor adventures!

Lisa

skootamattaschmidty
# Posted: 6 Jan 2018 08:59

Thanks for this Hattie! My son is an avid ice fisherman and I feel he likes to press his luck so I sent him this video to watch! Hopefully he never does fall through but this may help him!

NorthRick
# Posted: 7 Jan 2018 00:36

That was a good video despite the hippiness. I think the key take away is to "swim" out of the ice. I've gone through several times and I didn't pause for mindfulness, I want out and fast!

neckless
# Posted: 7 Jan 2018 22:09

they are called ice picks ...playing with thin ice is not smart

Just
# Posted: 9 Jan 2018 07:08

Good ice very tasty!!
20180108_170827.jpg
20180108_170827.jpg

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.