Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off Topic / Well - Electric Lawnmowers have landed DeWalt 20V / 40v-Max
Steve_S
# Posted: 29 Mar 2018 13:39

Several companies have been tinkering with electrifying lawn & garden equipment and tools. Some have had general success but it hasn't been stellar in any case. Well THAT'S Changed !

DeWalt has just released two Electric Lawn Mowers and they use the same 20V Battery Packs their tools do. With higher capacity batteries up to 5Ah & 6Ah (which can still be using in your regular 20V tools) and the biggest shocker too PRICE - They are Not Crazy Expensive either - a tad premium but not more than you'd pay for a respectable 4 stroke gasser.

Read more about it here:
https://www.popularmechanics.com/home/tools/a19603141/dewalt-introduces-two-new-cordl ess-lawn-mowers/

BTW: Another twist of twists.... Some one has (will be) coming out with an E-Bike that will use the same DeWalt 20v / 40v Max batteries which really changes the picture too.... Now to get a Fat Tire X-Country electric assist bike which is very quiet, doesn't scare critters away and quick to charge & go...

ColdFlame
# Posted: 29 Mar 2018 17:12

Very cool; a bunch of Youtuber's I subscribe to and watch all did sponsored videos with DeWalt and got a lot of their new FlexVolt 60V gear - tablesaws, Mitre saws, etc... Heck, there's even a 60V air compressor from Dewalt now.

Incredibly, it all works very well and has more than adequate power and capacity to do the jobs you'd never guess they could do. I'm impressed to say the least!

Bushwhacked
# Posted: 29 Mar 2018 21:21

Im still getting over the newness of my cordless circular saw!

KinAlberta
# Posted: 29 Mar 2018 23:20 - Edited by: KinAlberta

About three years ago I tried my neighbour‘s cordless lawnmower and wasn't at all impressed. Hopefully these have a lot more power than what I tried. I ended up buying another gas mower last year (another Honda since my last one lasted 26 years - and still works - but is being put out to pasture at the cabin.)

Seems that they’ve improved over the last couple years - but still cost twice as much as gas according to this:

https://www.consumerreports.org/lawn-mowers-and-tractors/electric-lawn-mowers-finally -make-the-cut/

What they don’t say anything about, is my suspicion that the battery design will change and so when the battery fails on your electric mower, you will likely have a hard time replacing it. So before you know it, you’ll be scrapping a whole mower because of a dead battery. (Rebuilt batteries? Yes available but most people just scrap their cordless tools and buy again new.)
https://www.consumerreports.org/lawn-mowers-and-tractors/ego-electric-vs-toro-gas-mow er-face-off/

Tyndra
# Posted: 30 Mar 2018 03:16

I will probably always run a gas lawn mower and chainsaw. I like having the power when I need it. But never say never.

I was in need of a new miter saw and was tired of having to pre cut everything before I went to my property (no buildings let alone power) so I broke down and got a the new cordless 10" Makita. Never thought I would see the day I could pack a Miter saw to the bush and for any reason other than trying to bury it!

Steve_S
# Posted: 30 Mar 2018 05:16

@KinAlberta

I've looked at push mowers last summer and for anything decent your in to $350 ish area and these aren't really that much more + the DeWalt Mower comes with 2 batteries that can be used with your tools too.

Performance & power has really improved over the last 5 years, mostly thanks to Electric Vehicle R&D and we are talking more than cars... everything is getting electrified and quickly... I follow that sector news and websites related to it, pretty cool to see all the stuff churning out.

DeWalt and other big brands have committed to their "platforms" and they will stay with the same format even if the battery chemistries change. In fact using DeWalt example they have upgraded their batteries and kept the format the same... It's not the old NiCad junk from a decade+ back. Rebuilt DeWalt batteries are available and not that crazy expensive "relatively" because Lithium Ion Batteries are dropping in price quite quickly and chemistries are improving.

Of course not everything suits everyone but I can certainly see using a DeWalt Electric Mower in an urban yard which tend to be smooth and not too big. I don't know if such would handle my property in the country, it's not what I consider groomed let alone "domesticated" with a manicured lawn. It's natural grasses and plants, heck there's one spot that does not get cut and the heritage grains grow up 6' if the neighbours cattle don't nibble it down.

paulz
# Posted: 30 Mar 2018 09:41

Thanks Steve S

Finally an answer for Ethanol!

creeky
# Posted: 30 Mar 2018 23:20

Found an old first gen 24v electric lawnmower on the side of the road.

Fixed the busted wheel. One of the batteries was dead. Put a big lithium battery into it.

It is more powerful than my 5hp Toro. I can run it into 3 foot high grass and it bogs a bit. But that would kill my Toro. I can mow for two days on the battery.

Sure. My free lawnmower has a $350 battery.

This winter Lowes had a sale. Bought a brand new one. 40v. Two batteries (not 47ah like the one I have, but 6 and 3 amp).

100 bucks. Can't beat that. And no gas. No filters. No engine. No pumping/priming etc.

I'll never go back. Btw. They had the weed wacker on for the same price. Anybody want a 4 stroke Toro? Good price.

Wilbour
# Posted: 31 Mar 2018 10:51

Quoting: creeky
Found an old first gen 24v electric lawnmower on the side of the road

Funny story. One day my wife came home from shopping and was all excited to tell me that she saw a great looking mower left at the end of someone's driveway. Quickly hopped in the car and shot right over only to see an old guy walking back to it with a gas can. It ran out of gas at the end of his driveway and was in his garage when she drove by.

We just kept driving by laughing to ourselves.

Here if you want to give something away you just leave it at the curb.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.